Fremantle Dockers 2020/2021 and operation premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Here are the ages of some key players in 2020.

Fyfe 29, Stephen Hill 30, Walters 29, Brad Hill 28, Taberner 27, Luke Ryan 25, Neale 26, Connor Blakely 25, Sandilands 37 (??) Mundy 35(??) Cerra 20 Brayshaw 20 Giro 20, Banfield 21, Wilson 27, Logue 24, Apeness 26, Darcy 22, Cox 21, Dixon 20, A Pearce 25 Joel Hamling 25.

So, what does all this have to do with the price of tea in china?
Our key defenders: Hamling and Pearce, will be at the perfect age and experience.
Our key forwards: Taberner, Apeness, Cox, Dixon, will have more experience and are at the perfect age.
Our small forwards: Walters, Matera, will still be in their prime.
Our elite midfielders: Fyfe, Walters, Neale, Blakely - will still be in their prime.
Our emerging midfielders: Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Giro - will have another 50 games of experience under their belt.
The only question mark is in our ruck - Sandi - who is too old.

My 2 bobs worth: Forget recruiting McGovern, Hogan or any other high profile player. Keep this list for 2 years and back them in, then draft a really good mature age ruck man as cover for Darcy in 2019.

I reckon we only have a 2 year window but this list has the potential to go all the way in 2020/2021 ladies and gentlemen!

Last edited:
don't forget getting Caracella or Clarkson as our coach during that time as well

Target cognilio as an extra mid at the end of 2019 .

Hopefully we can get 3 good medium to small forwards on our list .

Hopefully we should be up and about 2022 as well, but I would be happy to trade our 2019 1st for a good forward.

Here are the ages of some key players in 2020.

Fyfe 29, Stephen Hill 30, Walters 29, Brad Hill 28, Taberner 27, Luke Ryan 25, Neale 26, Connor Blakely 25, Sandilands 37 (??) Mundy 35(??) Cerra 20 Brayshaw 20 Giro 20, Banfield 21, Wilson 27, Logue 24, Apeness 26, Darcy 22, Cox 21, Dixon 20, A Pearce 25 Joel Hamling 25.

So, what does all this have to do with the price of tea in china?
Our key defenders: Hamling and Pearce, will be at the perfect age and experience.
Our key forwards: Taberner, Apeness, Cox, Dixon, will have more experience and are at the perfect age.
Our small forwards: Walters, Matera, will still be in their prime.
Our elite midfielders: Fyfe, Walters, Neale, Blakely - will still be in their prime.
Our emerging midfielders: Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield, Giro - will have another 50 games of experience under their belt.
The only question mark is in our ruck - Sandi - who is too old.

My 2 bobs worth: Forget recruiting McGovern, Hogan or any other high profile player. Keep this list for 2 years and back them in, then draft a really good mature age ruck man as cover for Darcy in 2019.

I reckon we only have a 2 year window but this list has the potential to go all the way in 2020/2021 ladies and gentlemen!

Our list is actually taking shape beautifully, and I'm buying into the build from defense first strategy - our game on the weekend highlights where we are at compared to other rebuilding teams, the fact we have a number of superstars keeping us competitive during the rebuild will put us in good stead in a few years time. In my opinion, you need a strong core group of about 30 players to challenge for the premiership. So start with your best 22 and go from there, which players do we expect to have a particular spot locked down in two years time?

The backline is the easiest:
Ryan, Hamling, Logue
Hill, Pearce, Wilson

Centre line:
Langdon, Neale, Hill

Followers:
Darcy, Fyfe, Cerra

Forwards:
Walters, Apeness, Cox
Matera, Taberner, Bennell?????

Interchange:
Brayshaw, Tucker, Blakely, Kersten

Bennell will be that amazing final piece to this puzzle if he gets himself right. The beauty of the above is you can clearly see that we already have a squad that would be a very formidable starting 22 in a few years time. It is possible that Matera could be squeezed out. Similarly, we could see strong growth from any of North, Crowden, Dixon, Nads, or Duman. Any of these guys could easily be in that starting 22 in two years time. Undoubtedly, we will lose a player or two from who I have listed anyway, I just cross every appendage that if there is a missing player, that it is not Cerra.

We may even have a guy like Tim Kelly on the list by then, perhaps 2 x McGovern, 1 x Hogan as well :p.

Depth:
Dixon (F)
McCarthy (F)
Sheridan (M) - is he doing enough to keep going?
Banfield (M)
Hughes (D)
Nyhuis (D)
Duman (D)
Switta (F)
Nads (R)
Jones (R)
Meek (R)
North (M)
Crowden (M)

Gone:
D. Pearce
Ballantyne
Johnson
Sandilands
Grey (debatable, but I would be delisting based on skill level)
Sutcliffe

In summary, we're in for some pretty good footy in the coming season by the looks of things.

Edit: On reflection, Kersten will probably struggle to nail down that last top 22 spot, but I feel like we need a defender type on the bench. If Duman develops well, he may very well fill that spot.

We look pretty set tbh. Reckon ruck will prove to be a problem though. Ideally you'd cut Sandi this year and give Darcy a full year in the no.1 ruck role in 2019 before we hit that 2020 premiership window but I'm not sure you can make that call based on Sandi's form so far.

We look pretty set tbh. Reckon ruck will prove to be a problem though. Ideally you'd cut Sandi this year and give Darcy a full year in the no.1 ruck role in 2019 before we hit that 2020 premiership window but I'm not sure you can make that call based on Sandi's form so far.
There is a chance that Nads could burst past all of them. His improvement per year continues to be significant, and continuing that trajectory will see him challenge Darcy for the leading role.

I kind of feel a bit for Jones and Meek, who are unlikely to ever be recognised as top 22.

Last edited:
Something tells me Meek will make it and may become a trade target, traditionally big guys get overs as well, he could be valuable in a couple of years to aid in adding a trade target to finish the puzzle. I don't believe Jones to be long term, his desire is there but unless he works on speed and agility I don't believe he will be here long term. Suddenly with a fit Apeness, Tabs back, backing Nads and Dixon in to make it we are actually pretty good for big forwards. In a nutshell I reckon our first pick in the draft this year will be another midfielder. Also Mattis your team doesn't allow for the next couple of years First Round draft picks, chances are if we pick right they will be in the team. Isn't it amazing that two weeks ago the world was ending in many supporters eyes. What do they say...................... A week is a long time in footy!!!!

Something tells me Meek will make it and may become a trade target, traditionally big guys get overs as well, he could be valuable in a couple of years to aid in adding a trade target to finish the puzzle. I don't believe Jones to be long term, his desire is there but unless he works on speed and agility I don't believe he will be here long term. Suddenly with a fit Apeness, Tabs back, backing Nads and Dixon in to make it we are actually pretty good for big forwards. In a nutshell I reckon our first pick in the draft this year will be another midfielder. Also Mattis your team doesn't allow for the next couple of years First Round draft picks, chances are if we pick right they will be in the team. Isn't it amazing that two weeks ago the world was ending in many supporters eyes. What do they say...................... A week is a long time in footy!!!!
I was well aware that I hadn't included the next draft pick. It is worth noting that unless we do some good trades, we will only have one decent pick in this draft, maybe 2. It is possible that we'll get a gun recruit in, but the landscape will have changed by then as we will no longer be in rebuild mode, so opportunities will be hard to come by for first years.

I am not one of those reactionary supporters you speak of :p

I agree about not going for McGov/Hogan

I know Mitch wants out and wants to come to Freo - so if we can get him on the cheap; great!

If we can get McGov/Hogan cheap; great! But **** moving heaven and earth to get them. Develop the list we have and back them in - already they are showing signs of their potential as a whole. Let that pan out for this season before the recruiting make up their mind - this year should be all about finding out the potential we have :thumbsu:

With Darcy, Meek, Jones, Apeness and Strnadica I can not see ruck being an issue.

One of them must be good . For this reason Sandi should retire.

With Darcy, Meek, Jones, Apeness and Strnadica I can not see ruck being an issue.

One of them must be good . For this reason Sandi should retire.

Just need to get enough games into one of them so that we aren't going into a year planning to challenge with a ruck that's played only 20 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As good as Sandi is (sorry PurpleEyes ) I think it's the hard call that has to be made for the development of the kids coming through. We've lost development time with Darcy as it is already. I agree on giving him a coaching role though

As good as Sandi is (sorry PurpleEyes ) I think it's the hard call that has to be made for the development of the kids coming through. We've lost development time with Darcy as it is already. I agree on giving him a coaching role though

I’d use Sandilands like Brisbane used Keating(?) back in the day. And the same way Geelong used Ottens.

With the late draft picks we have, I bet we are coming the state league's for some young mature aged players for this draft, I bet we take 1-2.

I have never really understood this desire to push older players out even when they are your best available player in that role.
All I can go on is form and currently, Sandilands has the highest Hit Out win percentage in the entire AFL.
If you look at his season averages during his 16 AFL seasons, he is currently having his 3rd best season for HOs and Goals kicked, 5th best for Marks Inside 50, 7th for Contested Marks and Contested Possessions, 8th for Clearances and 10th for Disposals.
So far in 2018, Sandilands is currently ranked 24 in the entire AFL competition for all 2018 players by AFL PlayerRatings. Fyfe is the only Freo player ranked higher than him. I'm just not seeing anything to suggest that age is a problem for Sandilands right now.

In terms of our other Ruck options, Jones currently is leading the AFL for Hit Outs to Advantage %. Now that is using a very small sample data for him so may not be indicative of his true capabilities. But, the more years the likes of Jones, Meek, Darcy and the others can get under their belts, training and developing with Sandilands the better Freo will be. Just pushing Sandilands out the door and trying to crystall ball which of these ruckmen should now be getting games for the benefit of 2020 makes little sense to me.

The average age of the Top20 ruckmen (sorted by 2018 HitOuts) is just over 28years of age. Grundy is the only current Top 10 ruckmen under the age of 25 (Nankervis & Boyd the other 2 Top20). So it's a hollow argument stating Sandilands is too old in 2020, when the data also suggests that all of our current Ruck stocks would still be too young (Darcy would be 22, Meek 22, Strnadica 22, Jones 25). The minimum games played by any of the Top 10 ruckmen is 70 for the 25year old Witts. So again, none of our younger rucks will have 70 games or more by 2020, even if they are blooded for the experience right now.

I just want Freo fans to appreciate just how good and valuable Sandilands is. Play him until his form is showing a dramatic down trend, or injuries are too great, or he just doesn't want to play no more. By then, hopefully we will have a better indication who our next best ruckmen are. If this happens in 2019 or 2025, I don't care, but please stop trying to call for Sandilands delisting just because of his age.

I have never really understood this desire to push older players out even when they are your best available player in that role.
All I can go on is form and currently, Sandilands has the highest Hit Out win percentage in the entire AFL.
If you look at his season averages during his 16 AFL seasons, he is currently having his 3rd best season for HOs and Goals kicked, 5th best for Marks Inside 50, 7th for Contested Marks and Contested Possessions, 8th for Clearances and 10th for Disposals.
So far in 2018, Sandilands is currently ranked 24 in the entire AFL competition for all 2018 players by AFL PlayerRatings. Fyfe is the only Freo player ranked higher than him. I'm just not seeing anything to suggest that age is a problem for Sandilands right now.

In terms of our other Ruck options, Jones currently is leading the AFL for Hit Outs to Advantage %. Now that is using a very small sample data for him so may not be indicative of his true capabilities. But, the more years the likes of Jones, Meek, Darcy and the others can get under their belts, training and developing with Sandilands the better Freo will be. Just pushing Sandilands out the door and trying to crystall ball which of these ruckmen should now be getting games for the benefit of 2020 makes little sense to me.

The average age of the Top20 ruckmen (sorted by 2018 HitOuts) is just over 28years of age. Grundy is the only current Top 10 ruckmen under the age of 25 (Nankervis & Boyd the other 2 Top20). So it's a hollow argument stating Sandilands is too old in 2020, when the data also suggests that all of our current Ruck stocks would still be too young (Darcy would be 22, Meek 22, Strnadica 22, Jones 25). The minimum games played by any of the Top 10 ruckmen is 70 for the 25year old Witts. So again, none of our younger rucks will have 70 games or more by 2020, even if they are blooded for the experience right now.

I just want Freo fans to appreciate just how good and valuable Sandilands is. Play him until his form is showing a dramatic down trend, or injuries are too great, or he just doesn't want to play no more. By then, hopefully we will have a better indication who our next best ruckmen are. If this happens in 2019 or 2025, I don't care, but please stop trying to call for Sandilands delisting just because of his age.
We've had this debate before. I do appreciate how good Sandi is - but I disagree with playing him indefinitely until his form drops.

Every game that we aren't pumping into our young ruck stocks is another opportunity lost to allow them to test themselves and learn against the best in the business. It doesn't bother me if the young rucks aren't as good 'right now' as Sandi. In the same way that some of our kids aren't as good in statistical output than people we moved on (want to compare De Boer to Brayshaw for example?). I expect that playing younger players will have an impact on the team as their output won't match that of a seasoned experienced player. It's a given. But I'm ok with that if it accelerates their development, and gives them time to learn how to play together and build chemistry.

For me it's about long term strategy and not statistical output 'here and now'. The kids may never be as good as him over their entire careers - but I'd rather invest in them now so they can grow together with the rest of the team, and be a solid unit through 2018-2025.

In the end, I think he'll retire end of this season or next at the latest. So most of your argument will be moot anyway.

We've done this dance before, so I'm happy to just agree to disagree on it

Depth is where we will struggle over next few years if we don’t find anyone to back up the likes of Hamling and Pearce as the the key tall backs if they go down. We need some small/medium forwards too.Walters is basically all we have. We have a ok 22 but to go all the way we need some depth. What we have at the moment isn’t good enough.

We've had this debate before. I do appreciate how good Sandi is - but I disagree with playing him indefinitely until his form drops.

Every game that we aren't pumping into our young ruck stocks is another opportunity lost to allow them to test themselves and learn against the best in the business. It doesn't bother me if the young rucks aren't as good 'right now' as Sandi. In the same way that some of our kids aren't as good in statistical output than people we moved on (want to compare De Boer to Brayshaw for example?). I expect that playing younger players will have an impact on the team as their output won't match that of a seasoned experienced player. It's a given. But I'm ok with that if it accelerates their development, and gives them time to learn how to play together and build chemistry.

For me it's about long term strategy and not statistical output 'here and now'. The kids may never be as good as him over their entire careers - but I'd rather invest in them now so they can grow together with the rest of the team, and be a solid unit through 2018-2025.

In the end, I think he'll retire end of this season or next at the latest. So most of your argument will be moot anyway.

We've done this dance before, so I'm happy to just agree to disagree on it
emoji14.png

I don't think you do appreciate how good Sandilands is.
Why would you not want to play a person who is currently ranked 24th in the competition and is arguably the number 1 tap ruckman?

Making comparisons to de Boer and Brayshaw is a poor argument. I believe, like most, that Brayshaw will be better than de Boer. I don't believe any of our young ruck stocks will be better than Sandilands. Brayshaw's 2018 season is already on par or thereabouts with de Boer's 2015-2017 seasons. de Boer is now having a very good 2018 and would most likely still be playing for Freo if he was producing those numbers in 2015. None of our current ruck stocks are comparable to Sandilands.

Freo is not going to have a solid unit from 2018-2025 simply by blooding our young ruckmen. But if Freo are able to have depth in their squad and continually improve the team by bringing in better players with better form than our current 22, then wins will come and players will come and go. Bringing in youth of less talent to replace players of age of greater talent is what Carlton do. It doesn't work.

And yes, if Sandilands chooses to retire at end of this season or next it is a moot argument ... but that's not your argument. You are actively advocating for Sandilands to be delisted or forced in to retirement.

You actually have a stronger case arguing for Mundy to be immediately dropped to give youth a chance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back