Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints were no where near as bad, still made finals in 2011 ( the year he snuck out ) and even under Scott Watters( aka the angry dwarf ) we won 12 in his 1st year and 5 the following(2013) so actually, no where near it :)

Always wondered if Lyon got us to the GF's because of him or in spite of him, Thomas wasn't very good tactically and we definitely needed better defensive structures, but Lyon absolutely strangled the shit out of our creative players. and I see no difference in the Freo players.

pictures, maybe even video footage, what ever it is, it has to be bloody good.

did you see the way Carlton played vs Melbourne, that game ( Freo vs Blues ) would have to be 50/50 at best atm.

Grant Thomas gave players their head. I liked him. Lyons sucks all the flair and creativity out of them.

I hate Lyon's style as much as anyone, but this statement is untrue. Lyon took teams to 3 GFs and was desperately unlucky not to win at least one of them. Plus he was only a few kicks away from a 4th GF.

Agree with this, to a certain extent.

If you get within two goals of winning a GF, you probably deserved to win (or lose) just as much as the opposition. There are plenty of premiership coaches who won their flag just by being a bit luckier than Lyon when the chips were down.

The problem with Rossball is
-it is so mentally and physically taxing it has about a 3 year use by date before the players have had jack of it.
-the emphasis on defined roles means development of juniors simply does not happen.
-it devalues skills like accurate kicking, which are required if the team later wants to adapt to any other style of play.

There is absolutely no way Freo are climbing out of this current hole with Lyon as coach. It's not even really a reflection on him, he's just at a point where the list has zoned out and wants anyone else.

From memory they don't have a second round pick this year.

Will make things a bit tougher.
They'll probably get a king's ransom for Fyfe which will ease that pain, no way he stays to toil away in a rebuild and piss away his prime years.

Just to add a bit more to this thread, I don't dislike Ross Lyon, he's the first person who has made us relevant as a football club but the truth is he's just past it as a coach. He's still trying to employ tactics that are outdated and it's frustrating. No he hasn't had access to 15 top 10 draft picks but neither have a lot of clubs and he tries to use that as an excuse. We've got a good list, we just need to stop developing our players into robots whose only purpose is to mind space.

The problem with Rossball is
-it is so mentally and physically taxing it has about a 3 year use by date before the players have had jack of it.
-the emphasis on defined roles means development of juniors simply does not happen.
-it devalues skills like accurate kicking, which are required if the team later wants to adapt to any other style of play.
One further problem (and this is the thing that let us off the hook in 2009) - it stops you from really pressing home your advantage when you're on top, because it's so low-scoring.

I hate Lyon's style as much as anyone, but this statement is untrue. Lyon took teams to 3 GFs and was desperately unlucky not to win at least one of them. Plus he was only a few kicks away from a 4th GF.
Didn't win! So the statement is True! He had the team available to him, but had them playing the wrong style of football. It's all about results, not luck.

It's a superficial view of history to say it was never going to win a flag

He was a toe poke, a bounce, and some first quarter misses from winning 3 flags

Doesn't mean I like his game plan, but it has been very effective for periods
The could'ves, should'ves and would'ves of football. As a Geelong supporter i can tell you we should have 20 flags by now if that was the case....Ross Lyon's bag of tricks is empty, it was never that full in the first place!

Performances give the impression there is more problems than game style. The list looks to have fallen apart without bookends being recruited for a start. There isn't much desperation as well, but getting belted can do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grant Thomas gave players their head. I liked him. Lyons sucks all the flair and creativity out of them.
I agree with this. I know I was hardly addicted to StKilda news at the time, but I thought that the Saints (particularly in 2004/05) were an exciting and promising young outfit and I was unsure why Thomas got the sack.

Tell you one thing, though - Gherig, Riewoldt, Milne, Kosi and Hamill was one of the most potent forward-line combinations you'll ever see. Imagine if they'd been taken over by Malcolm Blight then?

Performances give the impression there is more problems than game style. The list looks to have fallen apart without bookends being recruited for a start. There isn't much desperation as well, but getting belted can do that.
I think the effort is there they just look completely void of any confidence and I think theyre lost out there. Theyre not sure what the structure is. So I think that can come off like there's not a lot of desperation, but I think they are desperate. Problem is once sides have torn then apart by the end of the 1st qtr the head starts to dip and you can see they know what's going to unfold.

I tried to tell freo supporters geelong were barely getting out of 1st gear. They were essentially in a training run probably not even intraclub standard. I was told geelong were a good team and if various players converted on goal they would have won. I think they now know I was right again.

There's plenty of talent in that team. It's really hard to understand how that team can lose by that much.
That's my biggest concern - for the first time ever a Lyon coached team is playing worse than the sum of its parts. That's a bad sign.

Went to the game yesterday. There was nothing good that can be said about the game yesterday for Fremantle. Lyon I think is out of ideas. The whole set up was just a structureless mess. They have no forward line, their backline is a disaster and their midfield is heavily reliant on too few. This reminds me of Neil Craigs last year. A few major floggings by some big clubs in Melbourne will probably see the end of Lyons you would think.

A few major floggings by some big clubs in Melbourne will probably see the end of Lyons you would think.

I agree, I don't see how Lyon and Freo will be able to avoid the pressure of the media and fans with another, if not worse season as last year. I understand the logic of giving Lyon a long term contract in the sense that he earned it but for 5 years?

Went to the game yesterday. There was nothing good that can be said about the game yesterday for Fremantle. Lyon I think is out of ideas. The whole set up was just a structureless mess. They have no forward line, their backline is a disaster and their midfield is heavily reliant on too few. This reminds me of Neil Craigs last year. A few major floggings by some big clubs in Melbourne will probably see the end of Lyons you would think.
Agree with all of that bar your last point, Lyon could arguably get away with being pumped by one of the good teams (rebuilding etc) but the blowtorch will come on if they get rolled by GCS, Brisbane or Carlton.

To be honest i thought apart from their ball use they were decent against geelong. are we underrating port here? because port beat sydney in sydney and sydney were beating the reigning premiers in the last quarter away from home.

their rebuild is probably a bigger project than they first thought and really this is year 1. they went into 16' thinking they were still going to contend. the port game is the kind of result that happens when a rebuilding team meets a contender (if port is indeed legit). got no stats on me but quite clearly their ball use is horrendous, not sure how many goals they got off turnovers but it was more than half, particularly in the first half when the game was won. And that can't be fixed in a week i'm afraid...

Agree with all of that bar your last point, Lyon could arguably get away with being pumped by one of the good teams (rebuilding etc) but the blowtorch will come on if they get rolled by GCS, Brisbane or Carlton.

Naturally being pumped by a good team is different to being pumped by a mediocre side however its the actual performance that counts. A loss of 130 points to the Western Bulldogs is on par with a 60 point loss to Carlton for example. Neither would be acceptable. The only thing that may save him is his long term contract which Fremantle may simply not be able to afford to pay out. Questions have to be asked about how contracts like that came into fruition based on the clubs performance. Perhaps the AFL should place rules on the length of contracts coaches can sign to protect clubs from themselves.

I think Ross has been given the license to rebuild his team. If he has, do you want him to be the man to do it Freo supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back