Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lyon style of coaching was never going to win a premiership. I've been saying it for years, Fremantle cannot possibly go into 2018 with Ross Lyon as coach, he is a slow learner, it's the same old style every year. This huge loss to Port Adelaide must be sending shockwaves throughout the entire Dockers organisation. Lyon's job is on the line, they have the Dogs next week and i can't see them in with a chance against anybody until they play Carlton in round 9.

Gee, imagine if they get smashed by Dogs, continue their poor form and to top it off, lose to CARLTON.

But they're stuck with Ross' ridiculous long contract..would be quite the pickle.

Saints were no where near as bad, still made finals in 2011 ( the year he snuck out ) and even under Scott Watters( aka the angry dwarf ) we won 12 in his 1st year and 5 the following(2013) so actually, no where near it :)

Always wondered if Lyon got us to the GF's because of him or in spite of him, Thomas wasn't very good tactically and we definitely needed better defensive structures, but Lyon absolutely strangled the shit out of our creative players. and I see no difference in the Freo players.

pictures, maybe even video footage, what ever it is, it has to be bloody good.

did you see the way Carlton played vs Melbourne, that game ( Freo vs Blues ) would have to be 50/50 at best atm.
I reckon the Blues are ahead of them....

Lyon will repeat his typical cliches.
"The buck stops with me." "We have some loyal servants." Crap crap.
Then he goes on to bag his young players and basically say they are all no good. He publicly pots them. Dents their confidence. Puts them down. All to assert his authority and emasculate them.

Then when it comes to the crunch on Thursday he will piss his pants and make only 1 or 2 changes.

I have seen this before.

The bloke is a creep.

Yep it's not just his gameplan that is stuck in a time warp, it's his whole approach and persona.

I reckon the days of that authoritarian, domineering coach are over.
It's common knowledge Ross doesn't like to relinquish much control to his assistants and it's 'his way or the highway'.
Similar to some past successful coaches like Mick Malthouse.

However, the game has changed and the players have changed since they are a new generation...they need to be treated differently.
Can't see young players taking well to being publicly potted and being constantly overlooked for the senior role players...basically Ross playing favourites.

The new age requires coaches to be more like Clarkson and Beverage....sure they demand high standards and are in some ways ruthless, but they also show genuine care for all their players and delegate to their assistant coaches. Oh, and the back their kids.

I may be biased but im pretty sure we have better kids and certainly a better coach than Freo.
Freo have some good kids there, but I think Carlton have a few more than Freo, and importantly they are getting games, good kids don't learn much in the VFL

Lyon will repeat his typical cliches.
"The buck stops with me." "We have some loyal servants." Crap crap.
Then he goes on to bag his young players and basically say they are all no good. He publicly pots them. Dents their confidence. Puts them down. All to assert his authority and emasculate them.

Then when it comes to the crunch on Thursday he will piss his pants and make only 1 or 2 changes.

I have seen this before.

The bloke is a creep.

Oh FFS please let us know where Lyon is having a pot shot at any player let alone younger players?

That was disgraceful today and Lyon and Freo deserve a fair chunk of the shite being thrown at them today even if there is improvement coming and you can't blame the skepticism that there will even be that,

BUT I have never once heard Lyon 'asserting his authority in order to emasculate the players'.

Can you make a radical change to the group or do you have to do it step by step?
I think it can be as fierce as we want it to be. We’ve had some really loyal servants. I am really protective of my players and rightly so because they give so much. They prepare and they don't mean to make mistakes, and I have to make sure it’s not what I am coaching. We will look at it. There is only so much below. We don't have 20 first round draft picks sitting there. We all understand that. Over the last few weeks, Peel have been ok. Is Griffin Logue ready? Probably not. On these results, we are just going to have to start playing kids. Harley Balic has finally put three weeks together so we will look at him. Tommy Sheridan could have probably been in easily on his form and he was first emergency. But we have stuck with the group, we showed faith. We didn't get delivered on, now we need to act.

That's what he said about the players today, if anything he questioned the older 'loyal servants' and he questioned who was ready to come in, no surprises there most who are watching Peel play are saying the same thing. Not many are putting their hand up to come in. Changes had better ****ing happen this week but I won't be surprised if younger players coming in don't set the world on fire.

Who should be dropped? I gather Dawson, Ibbotson, Suban, and Griffin, at least. Who else? Should swing the axe hard now, but Ross will probably only make 2 changes at most. Freo's not Sydney or Hawthorn, though. Their season is done.

Who should be dropped? I gather Dawson, Ibbotson, Suban, and Griffin, at least. Who else? Should swing the axe hard now, but Ross will probably only make 2 changes at most. Freo's not Sydney or Hawthorn, though. Their season is done.

Add in Johnson unless there is any reason to think he will regain his touch and fitness with a few more games, looks very slow and very rusty out there at the moment.

I know this will get a laugh in this thread but I'd seriously keep Dawson for now, he's about as limited a player as you can get but he's still getting to the contest as much as anyone and Hamlin is looking like being a very handy 2nd/3rd defender but he's not a first choice KPD.

I want Dawson retired but he's not quite our biggest problem in defence as sad as that is to admit.

Ibbotson, Sutcliffe, Johnson out of the backline and Louge, Collins and anyone else might be an improvement at least... and then we hope like hell for Alex Pearce to come back.

Like you said Suban and Griffin out as well and we just have to risk Sandilands as the sole ruck until a better 2nd ruck/forward option shows itself.

Last edited:
Add in Johnson unless there is any reason to think he will regain his touch and fitness with a few more games, looks very slow and very rusty out there at the moment.

I know this will get a laugh in this thread but I'd seriously keep Dawson for now, he's about as limited a player as you can get but he's still getting to the contest as much as anyone and Hamlin is looking like being a very handy 2nd/3rd defender but he's not a first choice KPF.

I want Dawson retired but he's not quite our biggest problem in defence as sad as that is to admit.

Ibbotson, Sutcliffe, Johnson out of the backline and Louge, Collins and anyone else might be an improvement at least... and then we hope like hell for Alex Pearce to come back.

Like you said Suban and Griffin out as well and we just have to risk Sandiland as the sole ruck until a better 2nd ruck/forward option shows itself.

So Johnson, Ibbotson, Sutcliffe, Suban, and Griffin... 5 changes. I suspect if Ross makes that many changes (and I doubt it) he's gonna stuff it up.

No that's what Id like to see though I'm sure it would result in even more carnage but I'm hoping these are the guys most being looked at to get out or in. Expect 2 to 3 changes and I'll be happy as long as its not a younger player going out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson, Dawson, Hamling and Ibbotson are all 2nd/3rd tall defenders. They really miss McPharlin as the one rock solid key defender who you could trust to play on a top key forward. When I flicked the telly on today Ibbotson was playing CHF.:huh:

Hopefully for their sake Pearce is back sooner rather than later. Collins played WAFL on the weekend, not sure what the go is with him.

Griffin is a certain out because it's pointless playing 2 ruckmen against the Dogs. I think they'll bring in Tabener who will at least draw a tall defender away from McCarthy who is too easy to eliminate at the moment.

If it's one of Johnson or Dawson then on form it has to be Johnson who looks a shadow thus far - but Alex Pearce is still injured so I'm not sure they have someone else ready to slot into that position. 1 more week for Johnson in that case and Dawson also needed for Travis Cloke - easily their best match up for him right now.

Suban is an easy 'old for new' omisssion so will likely go. Ibbotson I'd keep for now.

Sutcliffe has been poor - Sheridan in.

Prediction -
Griffen, Suban, Sutcliffe OUT
Tabener, Balic, Sheridan IN

Alex Pearce whos is a 200cm and 90kg CHB and Michael Apeness who is a 200cm 105 kg ruck forward are 2 guys I want in. But both are injured.

I would replace dawson for sam Collins but that wont happen. Michael Johnson is cooked so bring in a debutant in Brennan cox who is a 193cm swingman. Griffin is out, Give a debut for a 202cm 111kg Luke Darcy or Promote a ruck/forward in a 199cm 90kg guy in Luke Strnadica off the Rookie list. We are just talking KPPs alone here.

Griffin is a certain out because it's pointless playing 2 ruckmen against the Dogs. I think they'll bring in Tabener who will at least draw a tall defender away from McCarthy who is too easy to eliminate at the moment.

If it's one of Johnson or Dawson then on form it has to be Johnson who looks a shadow thus far - but Alex Pearce is still injured so I'm not sure they have someone else ready to slot into that position. 1 more week for Johnson in that case and Dawson also needed for Travis Cloke - easily their best match up for him right now.

Suban is an easy 'old for new' omisssion so will likely go. Ibbotson I'd keep for now.

Sutcliffe has been poor - Sheridan in.

Prediction -
Griffen, Suban, Sutcliffe OUT
Tabener, Balic, Sheridan IN
If Johnson is dropped. Dead certain Griffin Logue or Brennan Cox will get a debut. Both are 193 cm players. Cox can Plat CHB/CHF. Logue is our mundy replacement. He can play as a mid or up forward or down back.

Lol Proper rebuild? Wtf is Nick Suban doing near a rebuild? Why is Dawson still being persisted with if we're rebuilding? Seems to me like Ross doesn't know what the **** he's doing.

Learnt nothing from Melbourne? You can't play all the young blokes. Dawson is necessary until Alex Pearce is fit. I'm willing to back Lyons in on what ever reason he has for Suban, after all his run as Fremantle coach has been brilliant until last season.

Not sure if you are serious or taking the piss?

How is he doing a 'proper rebuild' when you were the 3rd oldest side in the first two rounds? Your side today had played an average of 112 games each! That ain't a rebuild my friend.

I assume you are joking?

Some times you need to look a bit deeper then the average.

We delisted four players who have been picked up by other sides. Barlow will start every game for Gold Coast and Mzungu made GWS round 1 team. We delisted heaps of mature guys so we could start giving games to young players with out destroying the culture of earning your way in.

We are now playing Tucker, Blakely, Langdon, Weller and then add in McCarthy and Kersten who are young as far as key posts go. This is not a normal lyon side. Now that we have proven we aren't going to cut it this year Lyon has said there will be more changes. I garuntee Balic will be in next week, possibly logue.

If this was a proper rebuild, then D Pearce, Griffin, Johnson and Dawson would not be getting a game. Mundy and Sandi stay because they're your best players in the their respective positions, but B-graders and below over 30 need not apply.

As Iv said earlier, you can't play all the young blokes other wise it's harder to learn. Look at Melbourne. The young blokes who deserve a game will get there chance. You are jumping the gun at round 2. Just remember how far Lyon has taken us.

The Lyon style of coaching was never going to win a premiership. I've been saying it for years, Fremantle cannot possibly go into 2018 with Ross Lyon as coach, he is a slow learner, it's the same old style every year. This huge loss to Port Adelaide must be sending shockwaves throughout the entire Dockers organisation. Lyon's job is on the line, they have the Dogs next week and i can't see them in with a chance against anybody until they play Carlton in round 9.

It's a superficial view of history to say it was never going to win a flag

He was a toe poke, a bounce, and some first quarter misses from winning 3 flags

Doesn't mean I like his game plan, but it has been very effective for periods

It is a fair argument that since the game has changed from 2015 onwards to a more offensive, free flowing style of football, Lyon's style of coaching really doesn't work anymore?

Freo used to get massive pressure around the footy, they don't seem to do that as much anymore, and everyone can see the skill issues they have from defense.

Learnt nothing from Melbourne? You can't play all the young blokes. Dawson is necessary until Alex Pearce is fit. I'm willing to back Lyons in on what ever reason he has for Suban, after all his run as Fremantle coach has been brilliant until last season.

Will everyone f@ck off giving Dawson a place in the team? He hasn't won a one one one battle for 2 years and is useless in every other aspect of the game. Every now and again he leaves his man to go spoil a contest down the ground and all the dumbass fans thinks he's a champ. Collins can punch the ball as well but he can also kick, take intercept marks and run out of defence. he doesn't panic and kick the call out of bounds. And he's half his football age. Dawson is the Lyon malaise personified on field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back