Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps a question for the collective match committe. The coach doesn't have complete autonomy over who gets the nod
But it's a common theme from his time at StKilda - continually playing 6/10 players with mature bodies over raw youngsters with potential.

In the world of the AFL, you want to be a good side, and failing that, a young side. Freo are neither.

Rebuilding.

Lyon is a brilliant coach who has learnt from past failures.

He needs a team full of decent draft picks to have a real crack at a flag not a team of foot soldiers.

Now he's doing a proper rebuild people are complaining.

Not sure if you are serious or taking the piss?

How is he doing a 'proper rebuild' when you were the 3rd oldest side in the first two rounds? Your side today had played an average of 112 games each! That ain't a rebuild my friend.

I assume you are joking?

But it's a common theme from his time at StKilda - continually playing 6/10 players with mature bodies over raw youngsters with potential.

In the world of the AFL, you want to be a good side, and failing that, a young side. Freo are neither.
Spot on.
Although they were more like 4/10 with mature bodies. He hasnt learnt a thing in the last 9 years!

Rebuilding.

Lyon is a brilliant coach who has learnt from past failures.

He needs a team full of decent draft picks to have a real crack at a flag not a team of foot soldiers.

Now he's doing a proper rebuild people are complaining.
If this was a proper rebuild, then D Pearce, Griffin, Johnson and Dawson would not be getting a game. Mundy and Sandi stay because they're your best players in the their respective positions, but B-graders and below over 30 need not apply.

Thank God Freo signed up Ross Lyon for 5 years, means no other team gets subjected to his methods anytime soon :p

I thought the players loved playing for ol' Rossy, on todays performance do they even care anymore? Gold Coast lost by triple figures yet somehow Fremantle are below them on the ladder. Defense indeed hahahahaha.

Or perhaps the plan is to tank to get the top draft pick, but of course trade it to Hawthorn again for some defender they rate highly and gift the Hawks their next legend :p

One thing is for sure, if Mark Harvey was going down this path Docker fans would be ready with nooses and guillotines, but gotta give Ol' Rossy a chance I guess :drunk:

stock-photo-an-image-of-a-snake-oil-salesman-con-artist-178474331.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I felt Lyon just sucked all the fight out of the Dockers and last year was sort of like a sabbatical for the team.

There is only so much manic pressure and gut running a side can do.

He puts to high a price on goals and to much pressure on a team.

I think he places endeavour before football skills.

I felt Lyon just sucked all the fight out of the Dockers and last year was sort of like a sabbatical for the team.

There is only so much manic pressure and gut running a side can do.

He puts to high a price on goals and to much pressure on a team.

I think he places endeavour before football skills.

The same thing happened at St Kilda, Ross Lyon's gameplan based on frenetic pressure eventually burns players out and once that pressure drops off it can get pretty ugly as the opposition's scoring starts to blow out whilst you're still a low scoring team, like we saw today in the Freo v Port game.

Supporters don't mind their team being a low scoring team if their defence is good enough to keep them in the game but if it isn't and you start getting belted their patience will run out pretty quickly.

The Lyon style of coaching was never going to win a premiership. I've been saying it for years, Fremantle cannot possibly go into 2018 with Ross Lyon as coach, he is a slow learner, it's the same old style every year. This huge loss to Port Adelaide must be sending shockwaves throughout the entire Dockers organisation. Lyon's job is on the line, they have the Dogs next week and i can't see them in with a chance against anybody until they play Carlton in round 9.

The Lyon style of coaching was never going to win a premiership. I've been saying it for years, Fremantle cannot possibly go into 2018 with Ross Lyon as coach, he is a slow learner, it's the same old style every year. This huge loss to Port Adelaide must be sending shockwaves throughout the entire Dockers organisation. Lyon's job is on the line, they have the Dogs next week and i can't see them in with a chance against anybody until they play Carlton in round 9.

And yet there would still be many who think St Kilda screwed up by letting him go ;)

Yup it's obvious the coach has lost them. That's the one thing Buckley has going for him - the players at least look like they give a shit. Freo are just lost and ambling right now
they also have a good leader in Pendles.
Freo looked rudderless onfield today.
Pav was a massive influence to lose.

Ross talks rebuild yet we play an old list.

I dont mind losing as much if we are competitive, but its clear we wont be competitive against anyone this year.

Any Hawthorn assistant coaches need a job?
Not this again.

Lyon's previous club had a similar fall.
Saints were no where near as bad, still made finals in 2011 ( the year he snuck out ) and even under Scott Watters( aka the angry dwarf ) we won 12 in his 1st year and 5 the following(2013) so actually, no where near it :)

Reality bites.
Lyon got very very lucky with the lists he recruited at the right time. Both were cherry ripe when he arrived. The Saints list he took over already had 13 ready-made AA players on it. A decent coach would have won 1 and may have won 2 flags with that list. But he insisted on playing 5 or 6 hacks every week and refused to develop kids. He never spoke a word to a young Tom Lynch who packed his bags and moved to Adelaide. He wouldnt even give games to players like Jack Steven or David Armitage. Instead he stubbornly stuck with hacks like Robert Eddy and Andrew McQualter. The same way he sticks with old hacks at Freo even today.

He under-achieved at the Saints then drove the list in to a deep deep hole of his own making because he cant adapt to change and cant develop youth.
Always wondered if Lyon got us to the GF's because of him or in spite of him, Thomas wasn't very good tactically and we definitely needed better defensive structures, but Lyon absolutely strangled the shit out of our creative players. and I see no difference in the Freo players.

That's all good and well, but it still doesn't explain the continued survival of Zac Dawson as an AFL footballer
pictures, maybe even video footage, what ever it is, it has to be bloody good.

did you see the way Carlton played vs Melbourne, that game ( Freo vs Blues ) would have to be 50/50 at best atm.

Lyon will repeat his typical cliches.
"The buck stops with me." "We have some loyal servants." Crap crap.
Then he goes on to bag his young players and basically say they are all no good. He publicly pots them. Dents their confidence. Puts them down. All to assert his authority and emasculate them.

Then when it comes to the crunch on Thursday he will piss his pants and make only 1 or 2 changes.

I have seen this before.

The bloke is a creep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle & Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back