Fremantle v Sydney GDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Being a bit old school i usually like to rub it in after a win just for a bit of fun.
Not in this case.
You blokes have every reason to be proud of them. As the dust settles we know we didnt capitalise on a massive centre dominance over a very young midfield...your kids gave it everything.
Would have been nice to see an up and coming ruck against the best and Sandilands may (maybe not too) have made the difference. We know that.

Roos had a shotgun left in the holster and chose not to throw Goodes on the ball in the last with the game in balance..bit weird considering the form he's been in but it meant the kids got to fight out the game which was great to watch.

You didnt get the pts but you know they gave it everything. Good luck in the finals...u earnt it. Good game.

Do you come in your West Coast gear like many such tossers? If you hear someone yelling "you're at the WRONG game idiot" - that's me.

Nah went in my South Melbourne gear

3 Generations of my family were born in South Melbourne so they are my second team.

My mate however turned up in Collingwood gear

Being a bit old school i usually like to rub it in after a win just for a bit of fun.
Not in this case.
You blokes have every reason to be proud of them. As the dust settles we know we didnt capitalise on a massive centre dominance over a very young midfield...your kids gave it everything.
Would have been nice to see an up and coming ruck against the best and Sandilands may (maybe not too) have made the difference. We know that.

Roos had a shotgun left in the holster and chose not to throw Goodes on the ball in the last with the game in balance..bit weird considering the form he's been in but it meant the kids got to fight out the game which was great to watch.

You didnt get the pts but you know they gave it everything. Good luck in the finals...u earnt it. Good game.

I know this sounds odd, but I was hopping the would happen because it would have actually favoured us. The issue was that your 'smalls brigade' were just killing us when Mummy wasn't leading Clarke on a merry dance. Though Goodes would is a classy creator, he doesn't have the hard defensive rugged play like Hannebery, Jack etc. have and we could have done with some opening up of things which is what Goodes in there may have done. Of course he may have killed us too, but I was still hopping that a looser player like Goodes would be moved there. I think Roos played it perfectly actually.

Watching the game again and man we were lucky to be even close to Sydney in this game. Absoluted dominated around the ground.

I just finished watching it too and disagree. Sydney caned us in stoppages but we defended really well and really took our chances inside 50. It was a pretty even contest outside stoppages as evidenced by the close margin all game.

5.30 left - Swans turn it over on their HF line and Bradley handpasses to Hayden... Players streaming forward he kicks long... straight to Kennelly. This could have easily been a score, instead it goes back into the swans forward 50.

5.00 left - Bradley kicks it out on the full from the swans forward 50, Ball goes back inside.

3.50 left - Hase free kick we finally get the ball out of 50.

3.20 left - Roberton kicks High and long instead of holding possesion (we had an extra defender at that point too). Sydney free kick and ball goes forward again.

2.55 left - Sydney score a point. (2 point lead to us)

2.55 left - Duffield kicks long to contest, without sandi's arms it's a contest.

2.20 left - Ball comes inside 50 and White kicks the goal. (Yes grover made a mistake with that goal, but so did Duffield, Hayden and Roberton when we had the chance to clear it away from the area)

1.48 left - Walters free... Called to play on??? WTF HE DIDN'T MOVE! He had a cramp!!

1.44 left - Mundy kicks long to the square it's wide and a point.

The rest is basically Sydney ran harder and got free, game over.

What a horrible last 5 minutes by Fremantle.

I just finished watching it too and disagree. Sydney caned us in stoppages but we defended really well and really took our chances inside 50. It was a pretty even contest outside stoppages as evidenced by the close margin all game.

Yeah I guess, but if you bring back Tarrant (defense), Crowley (Stopper), Mayne, Ballantyne (forward pressure) and Sandi (#1 ruck in the league) and gee we would have cruised that 4 points in.

5.30 left - Swans turn it over on their HF line and Bradley handpasses to Hayden... Players streaming forward he kicks long... straight to Kennelly. This could have easily been a score, instead it goes back into the swans forward 50.

5.00 left - Bradley kicks it out on the full from the swans forward 50, Ball goes back inside.

3.20 left - Roberton kicks High and long instead of holding possesion (we had an extra defender at that point too). Sydney free kick and ball goes forward again.

2.55 left - Duffield kicks long to contest, without sandi's arms it's a contest.

2.20 left - Ball comes inside 50 and White kicks the goal. (Yes grover made a mistake with that goal, but so did Duffield, Hayden and Roberton when we had the chance to clear it away from the area)

1.48 left - Walters free... Called to play on??? WTF HE DIDN'T MOVE! He had a cramp!!

The rest is basically Sydney ran harder and got free, game over.

What a horrible last 5 minutes by Fremantle.
Good assessment.

Hayden's efforts in the game were piss poor. Not surprising he let us down in crucial moments in the last.

Good assessment.

Hayden's efforts in the game were piss poor. Not surprising he let us down in crucial moments in the last.

Hayden, Ibbotson and Johnson were easily our worst.

Watching Hayden is horrible at the moment...he's getting worse by the minute it seems.
Does a couple of good things (floating back into the space etc), followed by 4-5 instances of pure muppetry :(

Ibbotson was hardly one of our worst players. He had one moment in the 2nd quarter when he kind of went space cadet, but so did about 4 teammates all around him. Apart from that he was fairly strong at every contest, spoilt everything he could (the only time he was beaten 1 on 1 was when man mountain White had a mismatch), and took several strong marks intercepting opposition kicks. He wasn't our best, but he was in the top 10 or 12, Champion Data had him ranked 4th.

Yea, good summary. Two points:

It was, the Roberton kick to a contest was the big mistake for me - not blaming him for the loss though, as Syd may well still have got the pill and goal that way anyway. But, the Freo style which is to attack first and hold the ball second was taken a bit too literally at that point. He should have kicked back and forced Sydney to man up and thus evening things up around the ground. I can guarantee you one thing, if Sydney had have had the ball in Roberton's situation we would have been lucky to have touched the ball in those last 3 minutes.

Secondly, Walters wasn't called to play on as such (for moving off the line), the ump mistakenly called that his 'time was up' 30 second rule thing where in fact it was more like 15 seconds and was clearly injured. That is yet another stupid rule that is enforced so randomly at times it s&its me.

Ibbotson was hardly one of our worst players. He had one moment in the 2nd quarter when he kind of went space cadet, but so did about 4 teammates all around him. Apart from that he was fairly strong at every contest, spoilt everything he could (the only time he was beaten 1 on 1 was when man mountain White had a mismatch), and took several strong marks intercepting opposition kicks. He wasn't our best, but he was in the top 10 or 12, Champion Data had him ranked 4th.

Agree with this too. Ibbo was OK.

In terms of players, the issue was that we didn't have anybody really step up and rip the game open. Pav is one who could do it but he's got his issues at the mo, most of the other likely candidates were sitting in the stand. It was, in fact, a very even and 'average' performance from a good percentage of the players and nobody who could break out and get 25+ possessions and do some real damage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle v Sydney GDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back