Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah it's not a good outcome if he leaves. Wouldn't get much for him and our forwardline gets weakened.
Not wrist slashing bad though. If he enables us to get Bolton (who’s only a year older and much better) for cheaper then I think it’s fine. So long as he ends up at Richmond not Collingwood

The reactions about him leaving are really ott

I just hope his knee holds up for sustained runs of playing at AFL level, regardless of where he is playing. He's played half a season in a row twice, in two consecutive seasons now.

He's kicked basically half of all his career goals this year, nearly all his games in the last two seasons.

2018 - Drafted
2019 - No games
2020 - 3 games (4 goals)
2021 - 1 game (1 goal)
2022 - no games
2023 - 14 games (17 goals)
2024 - 12 games (20 goals)

He's just coming good and we've invested a lot time in him recovering from injuries.

Not wrist slashing bad though. If he enables us to get Bolton (who’s a year older and much better) for cheaper then I think it’s fine. So long as he ends up at Richmond not Collingwood

The reactions about him leaving are really ott
This is a bit rose coloured. Whatever we get for Sturt will be fairly insignificant in Bolton's cost and well below Sturt's output.

He has as many supporters on here as detractors. Are you talking about copping shite at the games? I know Henry copped it at games. I wasn't aware that Sturt did as well.
More so on here I guess. I don’t think he gets much love at games though. I just don’t see what would keep him here if I was him and starting to think about the second half of my career

More so on here I guess. I don’t think he gets much love at games though. I just don’t see what would keep him here if I was him and starting to think about the second half of my career
Well seeing as the majority of our list has signed on until the end of the century, we must have something going for us.

I mean he's out of contract and we haven't been told that he's signed up, thats real enough to speculate that he might be on the move. We would be doing the same if it was a WA player on a Vic team.
Enough to speculate that he mat re-sign as well.
Mundy and Pav never signed contracts mid season. Banfield has always waited until seasons end before signing.
It is up top the individual.

There is definitely a double standard in how much you have to do to get into the side or not do to get pushed out if it.
Sturt having to work on his defensive ‘deficiencies’ whilst others just get 15 disposals a game and coast through.

I just don’t think it’s anything to lose your mind over.
The problem is its just such a negative move. We should be able to keep him (without paying overs) and lose others if needed. We would get cents on the dollar for what he brings while paying maximum value for the players we are bringing in.

It's the vibe of the thing.

He can console himself with the fact that anyone giving him shizen at games likely knows nothing about footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sturt is a potential Bailey Fritsch or Jack Gunston kind of player. Rarely the star but a kind of metronome for the side, slots goals when you need them. I don’t think you give him away for a small forward. You try to have both. IMO Bolton should be seen as a replacement for Banfield or Walters

Our forward line next year has the potential to be very scary:

Bolton, Treacy, Frederick
Sturt, Amiss, Walters

Switkowski and Jackson rotating through, looks pretty damn good.

I'd comment on Freo supporters being incredibly neurotic given this conversation has seemingly stemmed from a single cryptic comment with no context but eh... after the string of exits I do get it and feel the same angst.

Hopefully we can hang on to him. He's an important piece of the forward line.

Sturt, Amiss, Walters

Walters is not a consideration

Sturt, Amiss, Walters

I think it is likely one of Switta or Sturt will not be at the club next year. My prediction is we will get both of Baker and Bolton because one will request a trade home.

Enough to speculate that he mat re-sign as well.
Mundy and Pav never signed contracts mid season. Banfield has always waited until seasons end before signing.
It is up top the individual.
1724315346638.jpeg
Banfield in the group with Pav and Mundy holding out till the very end of the season before committing to freo again

Sturt having to work on his defensive ‘deficiencies’ whilst others just get 15 disposals a game and coast through.
I mean...was he not deficient in those areas? I'm confused as to what exactly some of the Sturt stans expected. Him to be able to coast to a spot on talent? Or to not need to build up conditioning coming off injuries? Those standards are the sort of shit that unserious clubs do, and I'll be the first to say I'm glad we didn't do that. Not only that, he's a better player for that. And so is NOD for not having the spot on a silver platter.

Heath Chapman has played as many WAFL games this season as Sam Sturt has, and Chapman has more talent in his pinky than Ethan Hughes has in his whole body.

As a side note, I do love that the panic is being driven at least in part by an article with such suggestions as "Bolton to West Coast", "Leek Aleer to Sydney", "Jack Martin to Brisbane", "Sean Darcy to Geelong" and much much more.

I coped with Neal leaving. I coped with Brad Hill leaving. I coped with the Tucker, Logue leaving. I coped with Acres leaving.

Why then does the thought of Sturt leaving trigger me so much then - likely because I loved the guy from the day he outpositioned Hurley in his first game - I was all in from that moment

It’s not just because he’s good. It’s the cumulative effect of all those players leaving too.

It’s so tough to get better when you keep leaking good players. Always 1 step forward 2 steps back

I mean...was he not deficient in those areas? I'm confused as to what exactly some of the Sturt stans expected. Him to be able to coast to a spot on talent? Or to not need to build up conditioning coming off injuries?
You have this correct. He had it all,and he still has it, but injury stole a few years of his football life.The club knew that they had something special when they recruited him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back