Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

All it'll take is a Vic club to offer him overs money and he's gone, honestly think Freo have absolutely zero chance of holding onto him.

Why do I think this? The overwhelming negative vibe that's ingrained in me to assume that this will happen because it's very much on brand for Freo.
I reckon he will stay. We have stuck by him through his injuries.
It's a loyalty thing.

I think opposition teams are still underestimating his speed. He is very very fast.

Sam was a champion sprinter when he was a teenager and coupled with his solid marking and accurate kicking, he is the player we have been waiting for to complete the forward line puzzle.

I am so excited about this kid and the way our forward line is finally morphing into one of the best in the league and he is a big part of that.

Two year deal takes him to free agency. Should be the most obvious call of all for freo list management and our number one re-signing priority as things stand right now.
It’s bloody hard to find players that can kick goals from limited touches consistently and other teams would be sniffing around for sure if they felt that he could be prised out of freo.

All it'll take is a Vic club to offer him overs money and he's gone, honestly think Freo have absolutely zero chance of holding onto him.

Why do I think this? The overwhelming negative vibe that's ingrained in me to assume that this will happen because it's very much on brand for Freo.
If Zurhaar leaves Norf I can't see them not putting a 400k+ offer in front of Sturt

Sign him up before that happens

I’ve been pestering the twitter account to free Sam Sturt when he wasn’t being picked, now I’ll be pestering to sign him up. He’s pure class.
I saw Bob Murphy at the shops last year and while we were waiting I asked him a couple of innocuous questions which he handled with practiced grace. They I asked when they were going to get Sturt in as he's someone who can actually kick straight and he got slightly defensive and said something to the effect that there is more to it than might be obvious to the casual observer outside the footy club (which is, of course true).

I left it at that & haven't tried to talk to Bob again when I see him walking his dog ;)

I think opposition teams are still underestimating his speed. He is very very fast.

Sam was a champion sprinter when he was a teenager and coupled with his solid marking and accurate kicking, he is the player we have been waiting for to complete the forward line puzzle.

I am so excited about this kid and the way our forward line is finally morphing into one of the best in the league and he is a big part of that.
I loved Quaynors quote from U18 that Sturt was really hard to defend because of his first few steps on the lead.

I'll be gutted if we manage to stuff this one up contract wise. I'm hoping to see something drop any day.
For the love of God Freo, don't play cute with this one & get another Acres result.

Not really adding anything new to the Sturt praise, but just want to repeat and bang on that this block of consistency from playing is really demonstating his worth and future impact. He's been awesome. Prior to these last few weeks, we only really got cameo glimpses of why we picked him where we did.

I hope we offer him 3+ years, and he honours our patience and development in him, (also through injury) by staying.

I can't see him going anyways, Sturt & Youngy are good mates, ended a draught at Dandenong together. They'll do it at Freo too.

Amiss, Treacy and Sturt IS it.

I think the knock on Sturt from the coaches was his forward pressure or lack of, something he did improve late last year and been very good the last few weeks. I was delighted when we drafted him and as mentioned by posters he has had a tough time of it injury wise and a steep learning curve to climb.
There is a very good player “in there” as I feel there is in Erasmus but injuries, attitude, opportunity etc can mean sometimes it never really emerges. Let’s hope he continues and develops into the best player he can be.
Please sign him Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really adding anything new to the Sturt praise, but just want to repeat and bang on that this block of consistency from playing is really demonstating his worth and future impact. He's been awesome. Prior to these last few weeks, we only really got cameo glimpses of why we picked him where we did.

I hope we offer him 3+ years, and he honours our patience and development in him, (also through injury) by staying.

I can't see him going anyways, Sturt & Youngy are good mates, ended a draught at Dandenong together. They'll do it at Freo too.

Amiss, Treacy and Sturt IS it.
I’d try to lock him in longer on a less valuable contract, give him 4 years at $350k

I've been a quiet fan of his since his debut but credit to his open defenders and supporters on here who've backed him from the beginning. There's no standout physical attribute in him, it's all footy nous with Sturt, and all he ever needed was his body right and to believe he can do it. Here's hoping the current stretch is the making of him.

I've been a quiet fan of his since his debut but credit to his open defenders and supporters on here who've backed him from the beginning. There's no standout physical attribute in him, it's all footy nous with Sturt, and all he ever needed was his body right and to believe he can do it. Here's hoping the current stretch is the making of him.

Elite pace.
Great skills.
Good mark
Very handy start

Cockatoo U Wot M8 GIF

Dude got wheels.

He's fast but he's not Freddy or Walker fast.
Someone else needs to jump in here because I reckon he burned someone off in preseason this year or last. I know it was one of the noted speedsters. One of:

Clark
Freddy
Walker

IIRC (which I probably don't). Someone else will remember.

He has proper wheels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back