Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks silly to supporters when players miss dead in front but I think the amount of adrenaline running into an open goal must really jam the circuits. You take two steps and the ball is already at your foot and you have no idea what the f*** just happened.

It’s difficult to describe exactly what makes a natural goal scorer but Sturt is “it”, whatever that is.
I was more impressed by his general play today. Looks a real player now.
He’s a proper footballer with good skills. Not a limited ability type surviving mainly on effort. You HAVE to back in guys with skills and class, over workhorses in the long run.
Skills pay the bills at the end of the day.

It’s difficult to describe exactly what makes a natural goal scorer but Sturt is “it”, whatever that is.
He’s a proper footballer with good skills. Not a limited ability type surviving mainly on effort. You HAVE to back in guys with skills and class, over workhorses in the long run.
This, our forward line has been lacking some class, especially with Walters dropping off lately, you just trust Sturt and JT to hit a good pass and slot the goal.

The speed is back, I know he had injuries for a while but the speed did really desert him for like 5 years. He looks like a guy you can't let goal side or your ****ed.

And his tackles are sticking with intent, so happy for the guy. Us nuffies on the internet have watched enough footy to know AFL potential when we see it

2,3 or 4 yrs is the question. Surely no more 1 year contracts for him and banners
I'd go 2 or 3 with games triggers for more.
It would almost certainly be 2 years as that brings him to Free Agency after 8 years at the club.
A potential sticky situation could arise then though - he’s not likely to be in the top 25% of earners if we re-sign him for 2 more years and would then be an Unrestricted free agent at the end of 2026. That’s obviously not ideal from the clubs point of view.
A lot depends on how he does from here in. He’s kicked 8 goals from 4 games so far. If he makes it to 25 goals from the remainder of the season (9 games) I’d try sign him for 3 or 4 years on reasonable money.

He tall. But play like small. He kick goal. But not like he should kick goal. He good.
Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

He started to look like a player and was incumbent in the team a year ago. Slow start to the year with injuries this year and everyone stamps his papers again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been as bullish on Sturt as anyone here since his first game but I didn’t find him convincing last year.
He did well in low pressure games but was really easily outbodied & generally poor in one on ones against decent opponents. Plus he seemed to have lost his burst speed and looked lacking in confidence generally.
His recent performances & particularly today he’s looked like he believes he belongs again. He’s got some strut.
Has had probably the worst run of injury & non selection of any player who’s been around as long as he has so credit to him.
Hopefully he’s genuinely arrived now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is his 6th year in the system
Players like Chapman and Pearce who can have horrendous injury luck but develop in that time and not show the signs of those injuries in their play are the exception, not the rule. Or someone like Fyfe who would go into contests like he has never known of injury or concussion even though he's more familiar than most with both.

Sturt taking time to get there and lacking the intensity at times was annoying to be sure. Everyone has banged on about the skills and they've always been there to be sure, but we weren't sold on a passenger who will occasionally give you a nice highlight. We were sold on a skilled, athletic freak who was a bit raw but played with intensity. But it's also to be expected. He now goes into contests, applies pressure, really uses that speed to make stuff happen. And then you've got the class that some of our grafters don't have on top of the graft.

As far as I'm concerned, long may this continue. And as long as it does continue, I ain't gonna count what we've missed out on, I'm gonna look forward to what comes next.

Sam reminds me of an old fashioned half forward flanker.

Plays on instinct is quick and elusive and can kick it a mile with accuracy.

Dare I say it a Ken Judge type.

Players like Chapman and Pearce who can have horrendous injury luck but develop in that time and not show the signs of those injuries in their play are the exception, not the rule. Or someone like Fyfe who would go into contests like he has never known of injury or concussion even though he's more familiar than most with both.

Sturt taking time to get there and lacking the intensity at times was annoying to be sure. Everyone has banged on about the skills and they've always been there to be sure, but we weren't sold on a passenger who will occasionally give you a nice highlight. We were sold on a skilled, athletic freak who was a bit raw but played with intensity. But it's also to be expected. He now goes into contests, applies pressure, really uses that speed to make stuff happen. And then you've got the class that some of our grafters don't have on top of the graft.

As far as I'm concerned, long may this continue. And as long as it does continue, I ain't gonna count what we've missed out on, I'm gonna look forward to what comes next.
good attitude

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back