Toast Fremantle's 1st 2018 National Draft Pick: Sam Sturt [Pick #17]

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a lot of love for Sam Sturt. You could see that he had all the tools, he just hardly ever put it together when he got his opportunity on previous occasions, or he's been perenially injured, but he clearly had a breakout game. He tackled, pressured, created options for his team mates though his work rate, and he converted when kicking for goal. Whatever the coaches have been asking him to work on behind the scenes, he did it (and more) on Saturday.

From memory, he commited to football at a late stage and was seen as a bit of a speculative pick in his draft year, so it makes sense that he's been a slow burn. His injuries havent helped either, but he's certainly consolidated his spot now.

I'm really happy for him. Hopefully he can stay fit for the rest of the year and his knee doesn't cause him too many problems. He's the ideal mid-sized forward to pair with Frederick. The great thing is that, even at 24, I really feel like he still has a lot of scope to improve. Lock him away Wallsy!

Our tall and mid sized forward pieces are now set for the next 5-10 years. We just need to get a couple of quality small forwards in to compliment these guys. Hopefully Simpson and Delean can make some serious inroads over the next 12-24 months and give us options.

Last edited:
I've been a quiet fan of his since his debut but credit to his open defenders and supporters on here who've backed him from the beginning. There's no standout physical attribute in him, it's all footy nous with Sturt, and all he ever needed was his body right and to believe he can do it. Here's hoping the current stretch is the making of him.
The reason we have supported him so much from the start is because you can’t win a flag with a forward line that has too many battlers. Players like emmett, Banners, Switta, even Frederick at times - they all have good traits and are honest as the day is long but goals don’t come to them as easily as the likes of Sturt and Amiss, and we can now add Treacy to this list. I still think we are an elite crumbing small forward short of being a genuine sept threat but it’s not a million miles away from being a very decent forward line now.
You can find a battle that will apply pressure easily enough to fill a role at half forward and they will take you so far, but silk that someone like Sturt has is much harder to get and that’s why he’s becoming valuable.

Someone else needs to jump in here because I reckon he burned someone off in preseason this year or last. I know it was one of the noted speedsters. One of:

Clark
Freddy
Walker

IIRC (which I probably don't). Someone else will remember.

He has proper wheels.
I remember this clip. It was Sam Switkowski in a training game - both of them going full pelt

Someone else needs to jump in here because I reckon he burned someone off in preseason this year or last. I know it was one of the noted speedsters. One of:

Clark
Freddy
Walker

IIRC (which I probably don't). Someone else will remember.

He has proper wheels.
Maybe this one from the 2022 preseason?

Edit: he looks faster in this one

This is from one of the write ups. I’d say he’s definitely got some elite traits.

Sturt’s athleticism – his acceleration, agility and vertical leap – is on show during each game, and he backed it up at the AFL National Draft Combine. He recorded a blistering 2.966-second 20m sprint, an 8.396 agility test and a 91cm running vertical jump, to be in the top 10, or in the case of the latter, the top player, in those areas. These traits also make him as dangerous in the air as on the ground, and he can win the ball in multiple ways. Often he will mark around half-forward leading out, and then use his precise boot to hit up a target inside 50, or take his chances going for goal. He has proven to be a neat set shot, and he has the game smarts to know when to back himself or when to pass off to a teammate. His strength overhead is another clear advantage he has, often taking marks with one grab while at top speed, which is a great sight to behold.

The elephant in the room is that maybe he doesn't want to extend.
No. He hasn't had the time to demonstrate what his worth is. Why would anyone sign while they're still building towards their best?
Best case scenario for Sturt is he plays every remaining game up to and including the grand final, and then signs a massive deal on the back of kicking four goals in our maiden premiership. Signing at any point before that would just be dumb.

I was surprised to see how high Sturt is ranked when looking at average goals per game for Freo (All players);
(and if you ignore his games played with less than 60% game time due to being sub/injured, then his average is 1.875, ie. 6th)

PlayerAverageGames (W-D-L)Goals ↑
Modra, Tony
3.15​
47 (11-0-36)
148​
Groom, Chris
2.57​
7 (3-0-4)
18​
Hunter, Kingsley
2.10​
41 (14-0-27)
86​
Hutton, John
2.08​
13 (5-0-8)
27​
Pavlich, Matthew
1.98​
353 (170-0-183)
700​
Farmer, Jeff
1.71​
131 (63-0-68)
224​
Amiss, Jye
1.68​
38 (19-1-18)
64​
Waterhouse, Clive
1.68​
106 (40-0-66)
178​
Medhurst, Paul
1.68​
99 (50-0-49)
166​
Yarran, Shane
1.67​
6 (1-0-5)
10​
Croad, Trent
1.58​
38 (20-0-18)
60​
Walters, Michael
1.53​
235 (118-3-114)
359​
Bennell, Harley
1.50​
2 (0-0-2)
3​
Ballantyne, Hayden
1.49​
171 (94-1-76)
254​
Abraham, Winston
1.45​
38 (18-0-20)
55​
Taberner, Matthew
1.40​
124 (59-1-64)
173​
Sturt, Sam
1.36​
22 (10-0-12)
30​

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I been a fan since we got him. Ssfly, injury sickness etc have held him back. Hopefully he keeps well.
A real bonus with his pace, tackling, pressure, marking, good reafing of the game. And importantly, he is a good kick both field kick and kick on goal.
He just needs to keep well and finish the seadon off on a high note

PurpleReign95 re: desert pea

stop trying to make fetch happen regina george GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back