Review Freo Get Over the Line Against Kangas Rd8 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

How desperate is our back 6/7? I’m sure Coxy is desperate, he just doesn’t look it sometimes.

They just refuse to lose a ground ball contest with the only minor fault is the high ball every now & then (not Zurhaars mark, can’t stop that). But the added bonus is they spread like midfielders once ball is in hand & generally don’t waste a disposal through the corridor.

The balance down there is spot on & the little thought I had about 5 weeks ago that perhaps we’re better without Pearce back there was just plain dumb. He controls the area & his closing speed is huge for a big bloke. But please stop trying to injure yourself kicking the ball ya clumsy oaf!

James Aish with a lazy 30 touches. He was terrific inside tonight.
Welcome Jye Amiss! Definitely not out of place at the level.
Chapman was insane. Plays like a 200 gamer.
Cox back to doing Cox things. Ryan was solid too.
Great to watch!
Aish is by far our most underrated player this season in my opinion. He's been so consistent. When he plays in defence his rarely gets goals kicked on him while his kicking from a wing into the forward line is consistently at a high level. I think he'd be top 8 in our best and fairest currently.

Yep Chapman is insanely good. Have a look at his draft class and how they're going. There's a lot of long term tall forward players that could be terrific in time but if the draft was held again tomorrow there would not be many players taken ahead of Chappy. That athleticism and kicking skills are pretty remarkable.

I've spent a long time dreaming about kick accurate kicking, its a brutal ride as a fan when that's missing.

Loved Brodie's game, what a pickup, there's something fundamentally wrong at the Suns and for the sake of football, it needs to be fixed.

The usual suspects Brayshaw and Mundy were exactly what you want in leaders across the park and I liked Bandfields & Ryans game.

I definitely agree with any comment that suggests Aish is underrated.

Amiss made a good start to his career and certainly has a big future, if Tabs/Lobb were fit and we had Lions/Melbourne, would he start? I'm a big fan of giving the kids time to develop in the team but it would be a big call to keep him in the team when you consider what is potentially on the line this season.

Amiss made a good start to his career and certainly has a big future, if Tabs/Lobb were fit and we had Lions/Melbourne, would he start?
No way, if Tabs was playing in his place tonight he would have taken half a dozen contested marks where Jye was brushed aside due to his lesser size and strength.

He will know how strong he needs to be to play at the top level.

In the meantime he needs to get fitter so he can use that field kicking as a half forward in the AFL team.

I've spent a long time dreaming about kick accurate kicking, its a brutal ride as a fan when that's missing.

Loved Brodie's game, what a pickup, there's something fundamentally wrong at the Suns and for the sake of football, it needs to be fixed.

The usual suspects Brayshaw and Mundy were exactly what you want in leaders across the park and I liked Bandfields & Ryans game.

I definitely agree with any comment that suggests Aish is underrated.

Amiss made a good start to his career and certainly has a big future, if Tabs/Lobb were fit and we had Lions/Melbourne, would he start? I'm a big fan of giving the kids time to develop in the team but it would be a big call to keep him in the team when you consider what is potentially on the line this season.
No chance of amiss playing ahead of Tabs or Lobb this year.
But longer term he will be better than either of them

Absolute clown.

Foolish comment and I hate how he's used that emoji next to his name, reeks of a socially awkward attention seeker that is completely ignorant of why they're disliked.
He's a legit pillock.

His false tears as he left radio to go work at 10 were so pathetic. Staff were all looking at eachother like... wtf. Prick wouldn't even acknowledge you if you walked past unless you were the GM.

Would piss around the fire if he was on fire.

If Sturt doesn’t come on (& Banfield falls away) then in 7 or 8 weeks time I’d be more than happy to bring Amiss back in with a bit more run in his legs & play the 3rd tall.
His first qtr lead up work was great & taking the 3rd defender with a bit more room higher up the ground & not playing on the KD’s would be advantageous for him. Additionally his field kicking is sublime with that kick to Schultz a pearler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sturt doesn’t come on (& Banfield falls away) then in 7 or 8 weeks time I’d be more than happy to bring Amiss back in with a bit more run in his legs & play the 3rd tall.
His first qtr lead up work was great & taking the 3rd defender with a bit more room higher up the ground & not playing on the KD’s would be advantageous for him. Additionally his field kicking is sublime with that kick to Schultz a pearler.
Yep, I see that too if we were short on players. I’m hopefully we’re not though & the up coming guns miss out on initial success to push themselves to knock off the oldies and grab it, if that’s possible against Mundy.

Last edited:
What is a reasonable social restriction for players in WA do you feel?
We pretty much talk to our players about being smart and avoiding high-risk situations. It’s not really what the Club holds them accountable for, they’re professional athletes who want to be out there on the weekend playing professional football so by going and doing things that put that at risk is their own call really. If you do that and you give up your spot in the team, there’s no guarantee you come back. They understand that, not one person on our list doesn’t want to be playing football week in, week out so they make decisions according to that. I don’t or 'Belly' (Peter Bell) doesn’t really have to tell them too much, so that’s our stand on it.

Oh look, maturity.

Hi Nelson!

How good was the crowd!! We had the freo chant go up, the mexican wave and even a few streakers. It sounded like there was a lot more than 40,000 at the game. It really brought back memories of the old freo games I used to attend as a kid. Shoutout to the crowd for booing the fan who stopped the streaker from escaping 😂

Treacy is an interesting one. Started like a house on fire but seemed to fade out of the game.

He’s shown in the WAFL he’s a deadly kick for goal from 50 but so far has mostly bottled it on the big stage. Did start to find his range a bit last year. Probably feels like he’s playing for his spot every week at the moment to be fair.

Can take a mark but doesn’t seem to get on the end of many leads.

Hard as a cat’s head but Amiss probably showed more footy smarts in one game than Treacy has so far.

I love the kid & I know he’s young & hopefully has a lot of development in him. I’m just not sure how to rate him so far.

I think Tabs, Lobb & Sturt as the medium is our best bet at the moment. Amiss is mobile enough to play 3rd banana too.

Interesting times ahead.

Treacy is an interesting one. Started like a house on fire but seemed to fade out of the game.

He’s shown in the WAFL he’s a deadly kick for goal from 50 but so far has mostly bottled it on the big stage. Did start to find his range a bit last year. Probably feels like he’s playing for his spot every week at the moment to be fair.

Can take a mark but doesn’t seem to get on the end of many leads.

Hard as a cat’s head but Amiss probably showed more footy smarts in one game than Treacy has so far.

I love the kid & I know he’s young & hopefully has a lot of development in him. I’m just not sure how to rate him so far.

I think Tabs, Lobb & Sturt as the medium is our best bet at the moment. Amiss is mobile enough to play 3rd banana too.

Interesting times ahead.
Reminds me a bit of Weideman (not in style) but in how they are too good for state level but have enough flaws here and there they can’t contribute consistently at AFL level without being in hot form

So much to say about this game, but mostly I'm just lovin' our brand and JL's system. Everyone is buying in and the fact that no one's spot is safe has them playing with their hair on fire. When you have 8 players over 20 disposals it shows we're getting even performances from the team. Plug and play. You can see when a player gets the ball they just know where their team mate is going to be. We saw it with Hawthorn and Richmond in their days. They could tap on, flick it backwards, play on quickly because the system was sound, everyone was playing their role, and they were playing with confidence. I see this in our team right now. There was several passages of play from defense to offense where the Roos had literally no idea what was going on. lol.

We've got some great times ahead. :freo:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back