Review Freo Get Over the Line Against Kangas Rd8 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you see King was the most tweeted handle last Sat and most of was from Freo fans.
Nah, like I said, I hate all that Twitter crap, but Goosage had blood rushing to my head, and I felt compelled enough to create a throw-away account to stick it up the campaigner!

Ok here we go:

Bizarrely didn't think we played all that well last night, too many fumbles and long bombs, yet on reflection we absolutely stifled an AFL team and nearly kept them to under 20 points (I was gutted when that Zurhaar goal went through - though did wonder if he'd fancy a taste of success back home when he hits FA). We also got to see our 2024/5 forward line in action, and it looks great.

Amiss is a gun, still a bit light but will make a great 3rd tall this year and next with Tabs and Lobb or Treacy. Speaking of Treacy, loved his game last night. Was in everything and caused a lot of problems. Marked everything initially, and whikst that dropped off, he did half most of what came his way. His field kicking was pretty good, but needs to settle his goal kicking. We know he can do it (see WAFL) and given his age I'd back him in to be a devestating CHF in a few years.

Don't get me wrong, NM are shithouse and have some serious issues, not sure if on or off field or both. JHF is a gun and they've got talent, but desire to work hard seems to be lacking. They are a decent clearance team though, and I thought we held up ok, though not brilliantly. This is where we'll come unstuck against Melbourne and Brisbane; if they get clean centre ball clearances we'll get scored on, as good as our back 6 is. Fortunately we have Fyfe coming back. You stick him in instead of Tucker last night and we'd have been waltzing that ball out 90% of the time. He's pivotal if we're going to jag one this year.

As others have said Chapman is a superstar. The highest praise I can give him, is that he's stopped me worrying about Mundy retiring. He really is a sublime kick, and such a safe pair of hands.

There'll be sterner tests but we look the goods. Great system, player buy-in, positional flexibilty, genuine B22 players not making the team, two KPFs and a dual Brownlow medalist to return. I've seen worse teams win it.

*Special mention to Aish. I feel like he's Longmuir's Zac Dawson (only in that he followed him and has the same faith/loyalty - he's clearly a far more capable footballer). Provides ultimate flexibilty, even did well in the guts late on. Superb pick up.

TLDR: I don't even know what the lid is anymore.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just wanna drop in to say I hope Switta is okay. That looked bad and for a moment there I didn't think he was getting up. He's a hard worker and an excellent bloke to boot, always got time to give his experience to people in overcoming injury.

I've been riding the Freo bandwagon for a few years now. Good even team with excellent structure and competitiveness, which anyone can see has been building for a few years. Hope you guys go all the way this year 👍 If not, given how young your side is this is really just the start of a long premiership window.
Thanks, Really impressed with the genuine concern JHF showed going to be a great player for you guys , He has gone up in my books , You have yourself a quality person and a quality footballer there.

I mean...his previous tweet was taking one of our list management employees to task, over the fact we "let Langdon get away", so he has form and he deserves to be served HARD on Twitter!!!
The reply to that tweet should just be a montage of Noddy kicking goals from the pocket. Langdon doesn't have enough of those for a montage (angle must be 175* or more).

This is without a doubt one of my favourite passages of play In the last almost 10 years.

happy after sex GIF by yuvaroo

Not much more I can add that hasn't been said already but I will say I really don't want to see the day that David Mundy doesn't fit into the team anymore because I just love seeing him out there.

tech issue they were some post's I was going to comment on last night but changed my mind and didn't realise they will still there :oops:
Hahaha, yeah, I get it - I was joking as I do it all the time too =)

Not much more I can add that hasn't been said already but I will say I really don't want to see the day that David Mundy doesn't fit into the team anymore because I just love seeing him out there.

Yep. Some days I wish I was Sally Mundy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the sentiment, but take Goldstein, Ziebell, Simpkin and Anderson out and they are a side of under 35 games per player, nearly. We are at least 2 years ahead of them in development terms, before even considering coaching or club structures. Just IMHO though
Actually their top 4 for games played is Goldstein, Ziebell, McDonald, Walker.

So taking them out and Freo's 4 as well, Mundy, Walters, Aish, Tucker (the only players over 100 games).

Freo: 38.37 games average
North: 52.26 games average

It doesn't matter where you cut it. North's side had more games played.

Same is true for age; take out the top 4 in age.

Freo: 22.11
North: 23.17

I can't be too harsh on North... we owe them some thanks too cause they potentially could have netted pick 19 and asked for Will Brodie in the failed trade with GC... they instead wanted MacPherson who wanted to stay at GC

Will and hopefully Johnson will be keys in our premiership window 😁

The reply to that tweet should just be a montage of Noddy kicking goals from the pocket. Langdon doesn't have enough of those for a montage (angle must be 175* or more).

One tv commentator - Dunstall? - said breathlessly of Nod's goal "you can't even see through the sticks from there!"

Thoughts on players...

- it only took me two games to forget how good Chapman is. Seriously, this guy is one of the best players we've ever drafted and manages to stand out in a team full of young talent as being a cut above the rest. I hope I'm not underselling him when I say he's like MJ and Roger got together and had a baby with Fyfe

- Brayshaw continues to make me feel stupid by being so much better than the safe, vanilla Masten clone I initially thought we'd drafted. I like to regularly remind myself of my early expectations of him to keep myself grounded about what a poor judge of talent I am

- Banfield - first half I was like 'this guy is making me look like an idiot', second half I was like 'this guy is exactly what I thought he is'. Regardless, it's handy when someone who kicks two goals a game is your emergency depth

- Darcy absolutely monstered a guy who was considered one of the best rucks in the game not that long ago

- Serong isn't getting the same clean ball he did last year but he's still a ferocious competitor affecting the contest around the stoppages

- Amiss pretty much matched my expectations - looked like he has the talent for AFL while also looking like it was too early for him

- Same could be said about Henry actually
I particularly enjoyed your description of Chappy’s conception. Made me laugh. I hope you are underselling him.

There is no reason for Dave to retire at end of the season if his body and form is still where it is atm.

He may not be getting 30 disposals anymore but we dont need him too. He can get 15-20 possesions and still be damaging plus his calmness on the young guys.

He should have had 2 goal assists as well last night but banfield missed 2 easy 40m out set shots in front.

And after doing the hard yards and help carry the rebuild for 6 years why jump off now. The party is just starting and next couple of years we should be competing for premierships.

I hope he doesn't become a Nathan Jones and just misses out on one.

I think Mr Mundy hasn’t had enough kudos. He had a cracking game and I am sure he is a great influence on field and around the club. His kicking is just sublime at times.

And hasn’t Sonny turned things around? A really solid team player now. His kicking and his brain making up for some of the things he has lost through age.

- And he's managed to do something Lyon couldn't - pair the same stingy defense with a really exciting offense. I'm loving watching our games again. I never watched replays of our wins under Lyon but I'm finding myself rewatching multiple times during the week this year.
You can only use the tools at your disposal. We were saying at the time that our b22 had people that were magoos quality. We have the converse now, we are talent rich (which we were at the time, Fyfe, Pav etc), but our talent now runs deep and we have depth players that are worthy of a b22 (though they are young and inexperienced). Credit to Lyon for getting us as far as he did with what he had. And yep, totally agree about rewatching the games.

Having the talent isn't enough - Suns and GWS did little with it. Full credit to JLo for what he is doing with my beloved team, we are the goods. If he can hold this team together for a few years - we are going for a helluva ride!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo Get Over the Line Against Kangas Rd8 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back