Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Late reply but back on this - I completely respect your opinion but also completely respectfully disagree.

We are indeed regularly the youngest team in the comp. What happens when you bring in draftees? You get even younger and further away from a premiership contender profile. We need our list profile to be older - which happens by a) gaining experience and b) bringing in experience.

In terms of not getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we’re close to a premiership - we’re currently sitting in the top 4 and are a few straight kicks yesterday away of being outright 2nd? How close to a premiership do you want to be?

There’s not a single team at a single venue where I don’t think we’re a decent chance. Maybe Brisbane at the gabba?

I don’t mean being stupid at the trade table - but we have a great hand this year, it would be absolutely negligent to not actively pursue every avenue to bringing in elite talent to make us instantly better.

This does depend a bit on what the relative contribution of the draftee vs the older player is though.

Like a genuine 1st round talent small forward could probably come in and do a better job than current Walters (sad to say but probably true) next year, despite the fact that that would lower our profile by about ~8 months average and our games by about 10.

Agree we should be exploring all trade avenues to make the team better right now though (i.e. Warner, Bolton, Baker as the realistic targets)

This does depend a bit on what the relative contribution of the draftee vs the older player is though.

Like a genuine 1st round talent small forward could probably come in and do a better job than current Walters (sad to say but probably true) next year, despite the fact that that would lower our profile by about ~8 months average and our games by about 10.

Agree we should be exploring all trade avenues to make the team better right now though (i.e. Warner, Bolton, Baker as the realistic targets)

Oh absolutely - but that case ie. small forward to instantly replace Sonny falls under every avenue to bringing in elite talent to make us instantly better. If that opportunity exists in the draft, sure. My post is more a response to the blanket “we’ve had bad trades before, the answer is the draft” approach suggested.

Late reply but back on this - I completely respect your opinion but also completely respectfully disagree.

We are indeed regularly the youngest team in the comp. What happens when you bring in draftees? You get even younger and further away from a premiership contender profile. We need our list profile to be older - which happens by a) gaining experience and b) bringing in experience.

In terms of not getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we’re close to a premiership - we’re currently sitting in the top 4 and are a few straight kicks yesterday away of being outright 2nd? How close to a premiership do you want to be?

There’s not a single team at a single venue where I don’t think we’re a decent chance. Maybe Brisbane at the gabba?

I don’t mean being stupid at the trade table - but we have a great hand this year, it would be absolutely negligent to not actively pursue every avenue to bringing in elite talent to make us instantly better.
I actually agree with what you are saying. I think we are talking about 2 different things.

We know that there is an age profile for Premiership teams. I'm just pointing out that we're not in it.

Doesn't mean we can't be a really good team (eg Malthouse's Collingwood team won a Premiership against the trend). But from a list build point of view (age and games played) we are closer to the start than the end. Our 'talls' this week included two 20 year olds, a 21 year old and a 22 year old. That's 5 years away from their prime.

1720936779698.png

The other concern is that we never finished the the rebuild. Our forward line has had just Amiss and Sturt added from the 1st 2 rounds. Again, we know you have to be a top 4 'scores for' team to win a Premiership. Freo aren't there yet.

I just think getting caught up in the dog and pony act to send out 2 picks for someone like Baker is absurd when we can see that A) We've done so much right to get to where we are and B) we need to draft forwards.

Yeh but most of the best ones do grow on WA

Bobby , Kosi , Bolton , Rioli , Tholstrup , Darcy Jones

Almost every team has a gun WA small forward

Except us
They probably weren't expecting Walters to decline so rapidly and by that extra year the others would come on

I think the word is that Bolton is staying at Richmond.

I guess I'm pretty biased toward the draft. Our forwards we've traded in from the rebuild (Matera, Kersten, McCarthy, Hogan and Lobb) didn't really work out. Amiss, Treacy, Switta, Banfield and Freddy are still rocking up - who we got through the daft.

You’d give up a first rounder for a Kozzie/Hill type. Our forward line is bereft of magic small forwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have said it before but Kozzie or Hill would struggle in our forward line - we would definitely play Kossie further up the ground and he would look more like Switta.

Part of the reason we are bereft of "magic" small forwards is that we play a structure that is anti-magical in the way you are looking for.

i've had a day to think about the Hawks loss. Pretty peeved at the time but the reality is
  • Play that game anywhere else and we win.
  • If Pearce or Darcy play we win.
  • If Sicily does not play we win. (He was a 50/50 at selection).

All in all, never as good and never as bad. We now play 2 games at home and are still right in the hunt for a top 4 finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No conspiracy here.

The bigger clubs who can fill the MCG will play there.

Lesser followed clubs will travel to Tasmania and NT.

If the Dockers could fill OPTUS Stadium every 2nd week we would look better, but we cant even fill our home ground let alone MCG
West Coast have to go there.

The big vic clubs only fill the G to 80-85% when two big Vic clubs play each other. WC have big crowds most weeks on their own.
you are precisly answering your question

80% of G is much much more than even a Full Tasie locastion and that is rarely filled.

So it all about money.

Biggest games must be at MCG whenever possible for both Fans on seats and TV Rights.

LEsser games are played at Tassie or other REgional locations such as NT or Ballarat.

IT is not FAIR.

But it is all about the Dollars.

We can neve rhave a fair fixures until all teams play the other teams same number of times per season.

you are precisly answering your question

80% of G is much much more than even a Full Tasie locastion and that is rarely filled.

So it all about money.

Biggest games must be at MCG whenever possible for both Fans on seats and TV Rights.

LEsser games are played at Tassie or other REgional locations such as NT or Ballarat.

IT is not FAIR.

But it is all about the Dollars.

We can neve rhave a fair fixures until all teams play the other teams same number of times per season.
The point is one Vic club does not have bigger crowds than one crowd from the WC. Why does WC have to travel to Tassie and not a big Vic club as they are responsible for the same crowds in isolation. If WC played Collingwood at the G and we teleported the WC crowd over there, they would draw 100,000.

In Collingwood’s defence ( which is not something I thought I would ever type) , every VIC club ask to play Collingwood in Melbourne as their home game. All about the crowd which leads to more money.
Certainly the Vic clubs ask to play collingwood in Melb. And they seem to get their wish. Similarly, I believe, we ask not to play in Tamania but we don't get our wish.

Simple solution - FORFEIT or acknowledge that we'll lose and send the 'B' team. Gives the heavy lifters an extra week off.

Send the B team down there and just have them try and cork the whole Hawks team.
200.gif

The point is one Vic club does not have bigger crowds than one crowd from the WC. Why does WC have to travel to Tassie and not a big Vic club as they are responsible for the same crowds in isolation. If WC played Collingwood at the G and we teleported the WC crowd over there, they would draw 100,000.
but you cant telport the WC crowd it is a country apart.

Hmmmm sorry didnt realise this discusion was about SCIFI

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo go down against the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back