Remove this Banner Ad

yakka man

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 27, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...ender-jack-watts/story-e6frg1xu-1226648706348

The Dockers have identified the 196cm Watts as one of several out-of-contract talls who could bolster their forward line

Fremantle has ruled out making a play for Hawthorn's Lance Franklin, but speculation is rife that Greater Western Sydney could make a $2 million-a-year bid, including promotional money, for the superstar.

Despite Watts' form struggles, AFL talent experts believe the mobile big man could blossom at another club.

One recruiting manager said the 22-year-old would be a "good get" for the Dockers.

The prospect of playing for highly regarded Fremantle coach Ross Lyon and a move to a club in the premiership hunt weigh strongly in the club's favour.

Sources yesterday told the Herald Sun the versatile playmaker wanted a fresh start next season, save for a major change of fortune at Melbourne in the second half of the season.

Melbourne has been labelled a "basket-case" and likened to Fitzroy for its poor performances this season.

I wonder how we always get linked to out of contract players? I know certain posters on this forum who will go nameless hate news puff pieces that have no quotes from clubs. But he is out of contract and the talent is there. You can never underestimate how much the Melbourne Footy club can destroy talented juniors, for example Jack Trengove.

What say you?

He is a forward. Not a backman or a wingman. Would take him, perhaps the talk may stem from Zac Clarke being out of contract and a Vic kid - wouldn't want to lose Zac though.

Second round pick plus a switch of others or an average player - Hannath?

Does anyone know definitively how delisted player free agency works? Last year Roberton requested a trade, but St Kilda wouldn't play ball and a trade was not completed. We were forced to delist him and St Kilda picked him up for free. Would the same scenario work for Jack Watts? He might have been a number 1 pick in the past but his worth now nis very low. He is worth a third rounder.

Lets not forget that they let Morton go for pick 88 last year.

[quote = wikipedia]In the 2012 trade period, he was traded to the West Coast Eagles in exchange for pick 88. Morton looms as one of the trade bargains, lured back to Western Australia after five seasons and 73 games with Melbourne where he twice finished in the top 10 of the Demons’ best and fairest count.
Tall and athletic at 192cm and 88kg, Morton can play a variety of roles, but has spent most of his time through the midfield. The club traded selection 88, secured from Port Adelaide after ytrading Lewis Stevenson to the Power, to land Morton.[/quote]

Does anyone know definitively how delisted player free agency works? Last year Roberton requested a trade, but St Kilda wouldn't play ball and a trade was not completed. We were forced to delist him and St Kilda picked him up for free. Would the same scenario work for Jack Watts? He might have been a number 1 pick in the past but his worth now nis very low. He is worth a third rounder.

I think it is very similar to how Adelaide ended up last year. They had to delist 3 players for the Nab draft and they didn't want to delist Tippett, because then Sydney could just recruit him through free agency. He had to walk out and go through the PSD. I'm pretty sure we had to delist Roberton to take our three picks.

I think this is the key sentence, we delisted him but I don't think we were forced to, we were nice to him. We could have refused to delist him and made him nominate himself for the draft, which is what Port did with Jacobs. I think in simple terms if club says go you are delisted, if player says I'm going he goes to the draft, unless club is very nice like FFC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is the key sentence, we delisted him but I don't think we were forced to, we were nice to him. We could have refused to delist him and made him nominate himself for the draft, which is what Port did with Jacobs. I think in simple terms if club says go you are delisted, if player says I'm going he goes to the draft, unless club is very nice like FFC.

Agree he was about to have a child afterall. It shouldn't matter much anyway, Watts's currency isn't that high.

But if he wants a fresh start Perth would be the best place. Too much media scrutiny if he stays in Victoria.

2nd round not first!
straight swap for hannath?
Watts + Second Round for Zac Clarke (Melbourne second round will be similar to a first round)
Wait melbourne don't have picks this year do they??

I would look at him if the price is right.

If he chose Ross you know he is serious about turning his future around, otherwise he'd look to choose a club where he can play soft unaccountable footy for a few more years.

Think he'll be able to pick the coach he wants, so Ross is in a good position if that's the case.

Obviously, but a mere fraction of the media and supporter pressure he would face if he remained in Victoria.

Geez, I doubt that in the fishbowl that Perth is.

He is already the laughing stock of being the failed Pick 1 before the best player the world has ever seen in Nic Nat.

They would crucify every bad move he made.

It would be a frenzy.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back