Review Freo Squeak Over the Line Against Hawks - Rd 13 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

The most damning stat for me is 15 tackles inside 50 for Hawks and just 8 for us (4 at 3/4 time). The forwards weren't bringing the ball to ground and when they did there wasn't a lot of pressure on the defence.

Banfield's performance was why I wasn't joining in the love in after last week. He played an unreal 3rd quarter and an okay 4th quarter last week and I was expecting him to be back to his usual crap. 2 goals, yes, but only 7 disposals and 2 tackles from a small pressure forward is piss poor.

The back line were proper shithouse and made Hawthorn's shit forward line look like world beaters. If they had a decent FF they probably would have won.

Center clearance numbers will tell you whether we are on top or not. When we get killed out of the middle we struggle big time and too many times Hawthorn were able to just walk it out.

I still maintain after the full game that Fyfe should have played at Peel. He looked rusty af last week and still looks rusty af. There was no need to rush bringing him in.

Walters is a worry. His goal kicking has turned to absolute dogshit and I really can't understand why. Mundy is also worrying me. He is getting caught more often and turning the ball over more than he normally does. He has also missed a couple of goals running inside 50 that in any other season he would have nailed every time. If the trend continues I think this could be it for Jonga.

Once Hawthorn become more consistent and less Jekyll and Hyde they will be a damn hard team to beat.
You are a hard marker man!

I know what you mean, but the combined score was 177 points, which is better than the AFL average.
Yeah just skill wise it got frustrating at times. But funnily enough I always felt confident that we would get there in the end. As I've seen mentioned, in the past we would have bottled a game like that. So it was great to get a well fought out win!

Fyfe and Mundy cannot play in the same midfield in my opinion. Mundy is old and has struggled with 2 way running all season - it hasn't hurt us too much to date. Fyfe, in my opinion, didn't have much of a defensive mindset today. Those two in the same midfield will hurt us dearly as the season goes on.
Maybe Fyfe and Mundy can, not sure Fyfe, Mundy and Brodie can.

Mundy has slowed a bit during the year, should be rested more.

Maybe Fyfe and Mundy can, not sure Fyfe, Mundy and Brodie can.

Mundy has slowed a bit during the year, should be rested more.
That idea was shot down pretty aggressively a few weeks ago and I still agree with it. Mundy needs to have a few rests this season. We need his experience come September.

The most damning stat for me is 15 tackles inside 50 for Hawks and just 8 for us (4 at 3/4 time). The forwards weren't bringing the ball to ground and when they did there wasn't a lot of pressure on the defence.

Banfield's performance was why I wasn't joining in the love in after last week. He played an unreal 3rd quarter and an okay 4th quarter last week and I was expecting him to be back to his usual crap. 2 goals, yes, but only 7 disposals and 2 tackles from a small pressure forward is piss poor.

The back line were proper shithouse and made Hawthorn's shit forward line look like world beaters. If they had a decent FF they probably would have won.

Center clearance numbers will tell you whether we are on top or not. When we get killed out of the middle we struggle big time and too many times Hawthorn were able to just walk it out.

I still maintain after the full game that Fyfe should have played at Peel. He looked rusty af last week and still looks rusty af. There was no need to rush bringing him in.

Walters is a worry. His goal kicking has turned to absolute dogshit and I really can't understand why. Mundy is also worrying me. He is getting caught more often and turning the ball over more than he normally does. He has also missed a couple of goals running inside 50 that in any other season he would have nailed every time. If the trend continues I think this could be it for Jonga.

Once Hawthorn become more consistent and less Jekyll and Hyde they will be a damn hard team to beat.
I will dissect this a little because I have nothing else to do this Saturday night.

On Banfield, it's hard to know what his role is. On paper two goals for a medium forward is a pretty good return, and he's been pretty good the past couple of games (had an impact against Melbourne too IMO). But what you say is correct, Hawthorn's defenders had an easier time than we usually allow, Sicily especially. At times I wasn't sure who was meant to be minding Sicily (was it Logue, was it Banfield) and also thought Jiath was more dangerous than we would have liked. But the ball also seldom came down the forward 50, and when it did we actually looked pretty dangerous. It was the halfway point we broke down, going long down the line, being intercepted. I feel it was lack of height that hurt us more than lack of forward 50 pressure.

But to your point, do we have a defensive forward? Is that Banfield's job? I think we as fans have categorised him as that because we don't believe he has the attacking weapons, but maybe that isn't his role. Maybe his job is to score goals?

I'm not sure the backline were that bad. A lot of Hawthorn's goals early were from 40+, on an angle. We got most of our goals deep. I think we played a bit of rope-a-dope footy which I don't tend to like, but Hawthorn had a hard press at stages, so breaking that and taking advantage of the space out the back was what we had to do. Even then I don't think we gave Hawthorn too many easy goals, aside from the frees Chad Wingard walked in. But in principle you are right, we allowed too many easy marks on an angle, 40 out that we should have defended better.

I agree on the midfield mix, and don't believe it is possible to have Fyfe and Mundy in there at the same time. Something has to give, and Mundy isn't the player he once was, and it's likely Fyfe never will be again either. We know Serong, Brayshaw and Brodie can get the job done, so Fyfe and Mundy should be rotations that give one of them a break. We may need to find a role for Mundy that isn't solely midfield, but if we can't, it's possible his role in the side diminishes. That said, he has a lot of credits in the bank, and so long as he's fit he'll probably still be very important come finals.

I thought Fyfe was fine, had close to two goals, 10 contested possessions, a number of score involvements. Definitely had a better second half than first. I prefer him in the side.

As for Hawthorn, I'll note that their midfield engine is still much older than ours. Mitchell and O'Meara aren't much younger than Fyfe. Newcombe is a talent but he's the same age as Serong. They still have a lot of pieces to sort out.

Last edited:
I know your all going to hate it, but I would be putting Connor Blakely on a wing this weekend for Peel & get him in front of the screen all week learning Acres role.

He’s on the list & it’s pretty clear he’s not going to get a game as an inside mid, so why not put him out there at Peel & see what happens. We lack experienced depth in that area & he has played half back & wing before.

The concern is his disposal, but if he’s not going to get a game as an inside then let’s play him at Peel where he may be of use this season. Hopefully Acres is not too bad, but if I was Connor, I’d be suggesting it.

I think Blakely's card has been marked. Doubt he'll be getting another game for Freo.

One of the few times this season where we've won and the opposition hasn't lost a key player early in the game. Think it was 5 out of the last 6 wins someone has been subbed for the opposition. (Also happened in the loss vs Collingwood - but Henry was much better value than M.Cox).

One thing I wanted to say, this year my eldest son has started to understand footy a little better, and has been asking me who the greatest player in the world is (Fyfe), greatest player ever is (also Fyfe), and he's been excited to see Fyfe play all week, watching highlights of him on YouTube in the lead up to the game. I'm grateful his return game was at a sensible hour and Freo won and Fyfe kicked a goal. It made a seven year old extremely happy.

I will dissect this a little because I have nothing else to do this Saturday night.

On Banfield, it's hard to know what his role is. On paper two goals for a medium forward is a pretty good return, and he's been pretty good the past couple of games (had an impact against Melbourne too IMO). But what you say is correct, Hawthorn's defenders had an easier time than we usually allow, Sicily especially. At times I wasn't sure who was meant to be minding Sicily (was it Logue, was it Banfield) and also thought Jiath was more dangerous than we would have liked. But the ball also seldom came down the forward 50, and when it did we actually looked pretty dangerous. It was the halfway point we broke down, going long down the line, being intercepted. I feel it was lack of height that hurt us more than lack of forward 50 pressure.

But to your point, do we have a defensive forward? Is that Banfield's job? I think we as fans have categorised him as that because we don't believe he has the attacking weapons, but maybe that isn't his role. Maybe his job is to score goals?

I'm not sure the backline were that bad. A lot of Hawthorn's goals early were from 40+, on an angle. We got most of our goals deep. I think we played a bit of rope-a-dope footy which I don't tend to like, but Hawthorn had a hard press at stages, so breaking that and taking advantage of the space out the back was what we had to do. Even then I don't think we gave Hawthorn too many easy goals, aside from the frees Chad Wingard walked in. But in principle you are right, we allowed too many easy marks on an angle, 40 out that we should have defended better.

I agree on the midfield mix, and don't believe it is possible to have Fyfe and Mundy in there at the same time. Something has to give, and Mundy isn't the player he once was, and it's likely Fyfe never will be again either. We know Serong, Brayshaw and Brodie can get the job done, so Fyfe and Mundy should be rotations that give one of them a break. We may need to find a role for Mundy that isn't solely midfield, but if we can't, it's possible his role in the side diminishes. That said, he has a lot of credits in the bank, and so long as he's fit he'll probably still be very important come finals.

I thought Fyfe was fine, had close to two goals, 10 contested possessions, a number of score involvements. Definitely had a better second half than first. I prefer him in the side.

As for Hawthorn, I'll note that their midfield engine is still much older than ours. Mitchell and O'Meara aren't much younger than Fyfe. Newcombe is a talent but he's the same age as Serong. They still have a lot of pieces to sort out.
Solid post bizznizz this one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A great effort. We were good but credit to the Hawks who took it up to us and got a heap of help from the maggots and we withstood it and prevailed. A great test which we passed.

Having said that Banfield was dreadful and Pearce, Switta, and Darcy were well beaten. Logue had an off day. Time for a break, add some more class and go again.

I thought Swittas hands in the first half kept us in it.

Negatives for me where that they just ran through a lot of tackling attempts. Got a bit of pace up and ran straight past us.

The other thing was the goals conceded from errors, on the back of a few easy ones Brisbane got last week. Hawthorn got goals from free kicks inside our forward 50m from HTB and marking infringements. (Just off the top of my head - Young got caught, Walker gave a soft blocking one away in a 3 vs 1 situation, Ryan gave one where Wingard took the advantage and there was a goal from a 50m infringement down the ground too. - probably a few others too - highlights rewatched had Darcy taking the ball without contest from a boundary throw in an kicking it in the air which Howe marked and converted from a tight angle on 50m.)

There was that 12 pt score turnaround in the last quarter when Brayshaw's kick went up in the air at the top of our forward 50m and Hawthorn went the length of the ground and goaled. Kind of think that was Fyfe unnecessarily being given the ball (deferring to capt perhaps) when Brayshaw was already in a position to score facing the goals. The little 1-2 handball made Brayshaw circle back outside around Fyfe and put him under tackle pressure.

Last edited:
also don't know if it's been mentioned already - apologies - but shout out to Walker for his first goal for the club :hearteyes:
Man this guy's a gun. Can't believe he's only 19 and is an important part of our best 22 already.

Ethan Hughes has played two solid games in a row now. Seems to be just getting it done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo Squeak Over the Line Against Hawks - Rd 13 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back