Review Freo Squeak Over the Line Against Hawks - Rd 13 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

We were missing contested marks for the first half too. We had nothing out of the kick up the line.

Yeah, I said that multiple times during the game. They did well to nullify Lobb and Darcy.

Fair call my man.

I should have clarified, I had a concern that his dominance might detract from Brodie and Brayshaws capacity to hunt the ball in their own natural way.

Brodie had less than ~30 plus which hadn't happened for a while so just wanted to know if those numbers meant anything.
Fyfe did mess with the midfield cohesion. Yes he is the dual brownlow medalist but if he could learn to kick a goal you would leave him up forward.
What bray and Brodie have been doing this year knocked Brisbane and Melbourne clean over and that needs to be left alone..

Thought it was a good win. Hawthorn were really up for it and pressured really well all afternoon. Sad that Acres did his hammy but depth is really good for Freo so next soldier in . . .
Thank you mate.and in your board in non geelong thread a lot of people want Freo to get Flag if not Geelong. Thanks for the support guys

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just saw the free kick against Fyfe for handling an umpire.

the central umpire who paid that should never umpire again. You ducking ignoramus

Fyfe was pushed by Sicily as he kicked, and Fyfe looked like he was going to clean the umpire up.
he put his hands out to protect the umpire.

Last edited:
I just saw the free kick against Fyfe for handling an umpire.

the central umpire who paid that should ever umpire again. You ducking ignoramus

Fyfe was pushed by Sicily as he kicked, and Fyfe looked like he was going to clean the umpire up.
he put his hands out to protect the umpire.
Wowowowow... so they did actually pay it for that! Disgraceful. Complete lack of awareness from that umpire.

If we had any balls we'd be asking for a please explain from the umpiring department.

Logue got outworked and didn't compete hard enough in patches but he didn't drop his bundle.

Fyfe looks rusty but that's ok.

Had Hawk fans hurling homophobic slurs at the freo players behind my head, spilling beer down the back of my skirt sticking to my legs.

But he won, so stuff those jerks. Go sit on a traffic bollard.
You have some rough seats

Hawks got 30 points from free kicks. 3 were terrible decisions that i dont think would be paid in most cases. 2 were lineball 50/50 calls that could've gone either way.

The whole game felt like the Umpiring was keeping the Hawks in the game.

At the game I thought that was a 6/6/6 violation, but I couldn’t remember a warning.

That’s such a bad free kick. Umpire was literally infront of him on the line as he kicked, plus a shove. Talk about no feel. Can’t just magically disappear around him.

The kicking in danger one against Shultz was a huge swing free kick too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the game I thought that was a 6/6/6 violation, but I couldn’t remember a warning.

That’s such a bad free kick. Umpire was literally infront of him on the line as he kicked, plus a shove. Talk about no feel. Can’t just magically disappear around him.

The kicking in danger one against Shultz was a huge swing free kick too

Yup, I didn’t see the replay but Shultz did great to beat the two opponents to get that kick off

Most 50/50 calls today we didn’t get - and like others mentioned, hawks got too many soft and line ball ones. Frustrating to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to see the team was able to grind that game out. Our young leadership group of Brayshaw, Young and Serong had big games and stepped up when it mattered.

I was devastated for Arces, hopefully it’s not as bad as he thought.

That was the first game in a while I walked away a little disappointed in Mundy’s performance, I know his stats were good but I seem to remember a couple of lapses that lead to goals. Even the greats have moments I suppose, I know he’ll be back.

Fyfe will need time, he’s clearly out of touch but we have the quality that can play him into form.

On the telecast they flashed up a scores from frees stat, Hawks 5.0 Freo 1.1 the commentators didn’t say anything about it, it was obvious the umps gave all the 50/50 calls to them, especially in front of goals. Should have been a comfortable 30+ point win, glad the boys kept playing and got the job done in the face of such bad officiating.

Yeah, I said that multiple times during the game. They did well to nullify Lobb and Darcy.
It was Logue that couldn’t take one early. He was on world record pace for get out of jail marks last week & really set the tone. Yesterday he couldn’t clunk anything & Sicily schooled him in positioning.

It was Logue that couldn’t take one early. He was on world record pace for get out of jail marks last week & really set the tone. Yesterday he couldn’t clunk anything & Sicily schooled him in positioning.
He was the primary culprit but I will balance my comments by saying he wasn't helped when the kick was put to the advantage of his man or so far short of where he was leading that someone else's man could duck in and take it.

There were too many times in the first half though where he either lead his man to the ball to intercept, the one where Switta was going to mark on half forward and he didn't keep Sicily off him enough to prevent a spoil and others where he didn't contest hard enough after being beaten early and move or denied the space at the drop of the ball. I'd rather he give away a free kick for taking them out throwing his body at them to spoil, maybe even not getting the free, than surrendering the contest that early.

He will get much better though. I thought it might be symptomatic of the team being a bit lax with the hawks, that there didn't need to be the same desperation as the last two games. JL mentioned there were some players taking it too easy in the first half and I think Logue was one of them.

You have some rough seats

This is the balance with reasonably priced options, sometimes the spare seats around get sold to people just there for one game and it's usually fine.

I'd rather wear a drink than get felt up and that hasn't happened and my kids weren't there to hear it so it's not the end of the world.

It’s small, but given all the pre game fluff around fyfe looking to ‘fit back in’ with the team and play more forward, I wanted Brodie to start in the centre square, not fyfe

You're right that it's a small thing, but I also thought it was a bit of a slap in the face to Brodie.

I think starting him in there would have been a good opportunity to reinforce how valued he is and how much he's made that spot his own. And it would have aligned with the rhetoric of Fyfe fitting in with the team rather than the team having to fit around Fyfe.

It took Brodie a long time to get into the game after that too, which we can't afford given how important he is to our centre clearances.

Anyone reminded of GF 2013 with Matthew Nichols umpiring?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Between Nicholls doing his thing for Hawthorn, them being handed shots at goal by the umps every time they got inside 50, and them clinically slotting every half chance set shot they had, the entire game reminded me of 2013.

I think that's why I felt pretty agitated while watching. Objectively it should probably have been a pretty good game to watch but I didn't enjoy it at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Freo Squeak Over the Line Against Hawks - Rd 13 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back