Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Future Magpies Watch '11

Better would be James having a super year where he projects as a top 10 or even top 5 quality pick - then everyone would be talking about the bargain we have on our hands.

This of course is an unlikely scenario. But the point is you want to see him have a great year and show great development. We haven't exactly committed to him yet as Melbourne have to Viney and Essendon have to Danniher so he still has to have a good year and continue his development.

Why would that be better? Whether Stewart dominates this year or takes it easy isnt going to make a noticable difference in his long term career, however it could make a huge difference to collingwood whether our pick is 17 or 37.

Rendells comments on Footy Classified we really interesting. He mentioned he only carried on this year because this was the best draft in a long long time. Given our dearth of quality picks this becomes a very important draft for us and one we cant afford to throw away our early picks.

Rendells comments on Footy Classified we really interesting. He mentioned he only carried on this year because this was the best draft in a long long time. Given our dearth of quality picks this becomes a very important draft for us and one we cant afford to throw away our early picks.

Exactly... its important for our future to get stewart AND a first round kid. If that means we tell Stewart to stay in 2nd gear this year and not get injured, so be it.

Exactly... its important for our future to get stewart AND a first round kid. If that means we tell Stewart to stay in 2nd gear this year and not get injured, so be it.

It's a good idea but I don't think all the other recruitors are stupid. Plus wouldn't another team just bid on him to force us to use our first pick? That's of course if we really rate him and are gonna pick him in the draft.

It's a good idea but I don't think all the other recruitors are stupid. Plus wouldn't another team just bid on him to force us to use our first pick? That's of course if we really rate him and are gonna pick him in the draft.

We might think he is worth a 1st Rounder and we let that Team Draft him with there 1st Rounder

Why would that be better? Whether Stewart dominates this year or takes it easy isnt going to make a noticable difference in his long term career, however it could make a huge difference to collingwood whether our pick is 17 or 37.

Who would you rather have?

Jack Watts or David Gourdis?

The difference is if we end up taking him in the 1st round it will be because he had a ripping season and because he projects as a very high level talent.

Take him later and it will be because he probably didn't produce to the level we had hoped and likely we wouldn't be projecting him to be a particularly significant talent.

Sure you would love a bargain. But you want to see the guy develop and his development this year can be used as an indication to suggest that he has allot more footballing growth and upside in his game.

I'd rather invest in a guy who is showing development rather than a guy who has stalled for a year and shown no improvement! Doesn't breed confidence and without that development it's less clear what you are getting.

Certainly not a year to trade our draft picks and having done that for a number of years it's probably time to invest in the draft again.

So much quality talent in that top 30. Even an extra pick in the mid to late 20s could prove to be a winner long term.

Next year is meant to be the best draft for 10 years. Absolute SuperDraft they are all saying.

Silvagni was just on Eddies show and he reckons there are potentially up to 35 two hundred game players available.

All this talk is nonsense, Hine will have a list numbered from 1 to (about) 50, of who the recruiting department thinks are the best 50 players in the country. If the pick we need to spend to get Stewart is a smaller number than the number next to his name on the list, we will pass, it's that simple.

All this talk about "foxing" is ridiculous anyway, for starters, since we haven't formally committed to taking Stewart then it would be totally against his own interests to play poorly this year, he wants to get drafted after all, and it looks like a strong draft, so he needs to put his name up there.

Conversely, no team is going to bid higher than they think he is worth in the hope that the Pies will spend a higher pick, because Hine will simply say "pass" and then that team will be stuck using an even higher pick on a player they don't rate.

Fact is different recruiting departments rate different players differently, so you can't run a recruiting department trying to guess what others will or wont do, this aint the 1970's! The Pies have the best resourced, best funded, best managed recruiting department in the competition, they back their own judgment and rank players where they rank them, they don't waste time doubting their own assessments and trying to "peak" at the notes of the recruiting department next door, let the poor clubs run that way, we are Collingwood.

I agree with Joe, we're a professional unit and you'd think we'd make the decision purely on how we rate him, but Stewart has been training at the club, so I'm not sure about what level of commitment that entails, but we have made our move on him. So who knows what we've told him about our intentions, but it would seem a little surprising to see us not take him after putting some time into him.
Can anyone remember a club passing on a potential father son for another club to come in and take him after that?

I agree with Joe, we're a professional unit and you'd think we'd make the decision purely on how we rate him, but Stewart has been training at the club, so I'm not sure about what level of commitment that entails, but we have made our move on him. So who knows what we've told him about our intentions, but it would seem a little surprising to see us not take him after putting some time into him.
Can anyone remember a club passing on a potential father son for another club to come in and take him after that?

Think Stewart was training with us as part of the AIS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, cheers for that. Makes me happy because I don't see much point of showing your hand early like Essendon or Melbourne even if you're secretly hell bent on taking the kid.

Ah, cheers for that. Makes me happy because I don't see much point of showing your hand early like Essendon or Melbourne even if you're secretly hell bent on taking the kid.

Very True but what I hear both are going to be Guns and both Worth the 1st Round Picks of Each Club

All this talk is nonsense, Hine will have a list numbered from 1 to (about) 50, of who the recruiting department thinks are the best 50 players in the country. If the pick we need to spend to get Stewart is a smaller number than the number next to his name on the list, we will pass, it's that simple.

In fact, the pick to get him would have to be significantly bigger. Eg if he was rated 35 on our list you wouldn't use pick 35 for him, because it's virtually certain that many players that we fancied more would be still available at 35.

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Magpies Watch '11-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back