Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing is ever so bad that it can't get worse.
James Krause No GIF by UFC

Received an inbox today from someone who’s passed on some correct info in the past, confirming what others have said in here.

“Line coaches are signed, club is trying to land one big fish in a coaching director before announcing the entire lot as a package”

Might hold true to the theory that this is being driven by KWW wanting to announce new coaches + slogan + recruitment drive for next season.

Received an inbox today from someone who’s passed on some correct info in the past, confirming what others have said in here.

“Line coaches are signed, club is trying to land one big fish in a coaching director before announcing the entire lot as a package”

Might hold true to the theory that this is being driven by KWW wanting to announce new coaches + slogan + recruitment drive for next season.
The ‘big fish’ is the key to everything. Leppa obviously would have been great. Mathew Egan probably ok too. Josh Mahoney? David Noble?

Trying to think of a possible slogan that rhymes with Mickey Mouse......

Trying to think of a possible slogan that rhymes with Mickey Mouse......
Who needs a rhyme for it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha atleast i might pass on one piece of information that will actually happen this off season. Assuming this happens haha

Can’t see it posted here yet but my mail is Daniel Pratt - Eagles defensive coach from their premiership year and their former WAFL alignment coach, has signed with the Bulldogs as an assistant. Will be announced once other coaching appointments drop in coming weeks.

Can’t see it posted here yet but my mail is Daniel Pratt - Eagles defensive coach from their premiership year and their former WAFL alignment coach, has signed with the Bulldogs as an assistant. Will be announced once other coaching appointments drop in coming weeks.
Welcome back mate.

Please share anything else that comes across your desk!

We literally make announcements like this and contract re-signings going into pre-season proper and over the summer every year and use it as a springboard to generate enthusiasm and upsell memberships.

Announcements haven't been made not because the board are inept rubes. Nobody wants to work with Dictator Bevo. Or the club is seen as a desolate wasteland were coaching aspiration go to die.

But because we have a president that given her career actually understands how to stage and roll out an effective marketing campaign. I suspect that by the time next season starts at least 2 of the 3 big names currently unsigned will no longer be un-signed.

Who needs a rhyme for it?
I think that was my point 😉

I had a high school teacher who used to say something was “no donald duck”

An attitude the club should take. The 2024 season is no doanld duck.
"2024 - the season the players give a Donald Duck"

I hope you’re right on this one, Muscle.

This joint might see an apocalyptic end if you’re not.

all we are is a development team for the rest of the comp.
I feel for Burke. Our AFLW side is a feeder club unforunately

Seriously people need to stop using this as an excuse and anyone who still says it clearly only looks at the score as opposed to what's actually happening. If you don't follow the AFLW closely that's fine but at least look at the facts.

Now there is no question that the way the AFLW has been handled by the AFL since day 1 has been nothing short of horrendous and that we certainly did get done in the early expansion period (especially with Kearney) but over the past two seasons we've lost a grand total of 2 players to expansion and 0 over the last season, a season in which we made the finals and were a kick away from winning one. The drop-off this year compared to last has been significant to say the least as you can see by our season rankings below in these KPIs...

KPIAFLW.png

Some pretty big drop-offs across the board especially in efficiency, clearances and forward entries. So why has this happened? In my opinion there are three reasons.

List management

We did not go hard enough in the off-season, teams like St. Kilda did and they made some tough decisions with letting go younger talent/picks and went hard to bring in experienced mature players. We were not active during the trade period bringing in no one, with our only trade being Morris-Dalton to Collingwood who was not in even our best 21. We also ended up only taking 1 player in the draft with that being Carruthers. Considering the age profile of our list, this was concerning at the time and even more so now and for me this is a huge indictment on the football department. We've been the youngest selected team in 4 of the 7 rounds so far this year, how we did not try to bring in some maturity is beyond me.

Injuries

It's very hard to ignore the injury factor this year, we will likely be down to 22/23 fit players next week and maybe even to use some train ons.

Bennetts
Berry
Coyne
E. Brown
Lynch
Moody

Have been/will be out for the season, all best 21 players plus Gutknecht and Smith are coming off a broken leg and ACL respectively, Lagioia and McLeod have missed games due to concussions while others like M. Brown, Lamb, Snell and Wilcox did not have any pre-season due to injury or recovering from operations during the off-season, this caused us to be the only team in the AFLW that did not have any listed players play in the 2023 state leagues.

Now of course every team has injuries but with list sizes at 30 even having 3-4 injuries can cause some structural issues let alone 6+. Richmond is in the same boat as us this year and they have actually had to use train on players in certain matches. List sizes to be expanded or at the very least a rookie list introduced.

We have also just been incredibly unlucky over the past few years, in the 2022A season pretty much our entire got COVID early which in turn forced us to play catch up and play while still recovering. We played 3 games in 12 days at one point and for semi-professional athletes that's a big ask. If we didn't get COVID we would've made finals.

Coaching

Our performances this year have obviously been skewed by injuries but I also believe the coaching has played a role, maybe not as big as it seems but one none the less. We seem to fumbling far too much and just making basic skill errors such as dropped marks or giving away lazy free kicks. We also far too often leave opposition players on their own in space allowing them to transition the ball at will. These types of things shouldn't be happening just because players are playing out of position, this is firmly on the coaching staff. Also how we didn't continue with Moody and Newton forward after it worked so well last year is a head scratcher. We only tried that combo once this year and that was against the Cats in R1, a match in which nothing went right so how didn't at least try it against the Hawks is mind-boggling.

It's clear from the messaging from the club that Burke will at least see out his contract next year but it's going to be a big 12 months for both our men's and women's departments. On the women's side we need to go big in the off-season, that's very clear. We are in dire need of an experienced KPP and we need to look at midfield depth.

Apologies for the long post and further apologies if I'm sounding a bit harsh.

So Daniel Pratt, and likely Jackson Kornberg considering he's left Gold Coast but has not yet announced a new position anywhere. Both seem to be highly rated from what people have said in here, am I right? A shame we missed on Leppa but it's good we had a crack. Maybe the sky's not falling after all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back