G. Ablett in talks with GC

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno. It's one of those things that could be considered so unlikely that it is possibly true.

Why would Gary Ablett even meet with them if he wasn't considering it?

I'm sure back in 1996 when Port was about to join the league, Essendon fans were saying "Wanganeen wouldn't leave in a million years".

It was actually the total opposite. We knew very early on that it was almost certain that he was leaving. It was more like "It will be a miracle if Wangers stays". :mad:

Re: Ablett in "secret" talks with Gold Coast FC

Let the offseason media circus re: Gery Ablett kick off again:
Gold Coast Makes Play for Ablett

It comes down to club loyalty or double the money for Gary Ablett. Will he take the cash and run or will he stay a Cat for life?

I disagree.

He has shown nothing but loyalty to Geelong. He went to Geelong through the F/S. He has won 2 flags for them. If he can earn an extra Million a YEAR then why not?? Its not until 2011. By then geelong will be in a small but still a rebuild mode. It might actually be worth trading ablett for a KKP which theyll need in 2011.

We are talking about a million dollars a year .... as geelong supporters surely you could say hey thanks gary now go earn your money you deserve it have fun with your brother and if you could get us a high pick for a KKP then great!

I would too for Reiwoldt but he is yet to win his 2 flags. He can go in 2012 ;)

Yeah right. Because Geelong getting two kids who may *possibly* become decent/good/great players eventually is fair compensation for them losing maybe the leauge's best player in his prime. :rolleyes:

The compensation system is rubbish, and Victorian clubs know it. The AFL should NOT allow GC & GWS to poach other teams players fullstop. They should be made to build their lists from scratch as every Victorian club they'll be competing against first did.

this is pure drival.....

No Gary No!

253886289_fa2ed5fa9e_m.jpg

Ha classic. He deserves his money. He has done so much for the cats. You guys should never hate him, do nothing but celebrate him.

MY TIP: He'll go .. this is 1 Million EXTRA not just a little bit extra. It would take real closeness of his team mates to stay and guess what? He isnt as close to his team mates as you might think.

people are reading a heck of a lot into some people being in the same general location as some other people.

I will say that this could work out alright for Geelong if there is any substance in it.

There premiership window is nailed squarely open at the minute, but nothing lasts forever. One more really cranking season at the top and they could do worse things than do a big draft rebuild whilst there is still a lot of value in their established stars- they'd rebuild and come again in a few years when people like Selwood were entering their absolute prime.

Huh? Are you for real?

Pick 1 is an absolute certainty, it is just a matter of what else the AFL throws in as part of the compensation.

Intitially drafted as F/S but would have been classed as an early first rounder if not for that.

B&F 2007, 2009 / R/U B&F 2008
Brownlow 2009 - Total of 72 votes in the last 3 seasons
AFLPA player of the year 3 years running
Age = right in peak.

If you take all the criteria into account i think it is safe to assume the AFL will hand Geelong pick 1 + another early - mid 1st rounder.

I would think that Ablett is worth more then a mid range draft pick. Ablett is/will arguably be one of the greatest players that ever played the game. Considering he's still fairly young, i would think Geelong would be compensated with the 2nd/3rd pick of the draft + a mid first round pick.

You guys didn't read his post properly.

Which would be $450 000 after tax. A MASSIVE difference. The discrepancy between what Geelong will offer, and what GC will offer won't be that high either.

You don't really believe this do you?

Gazza is currently on 500k-550k per season. Geelong may possibly be able to squeeze another 200K out per season but lets be kind and say they come up with 800k (extremely unlikely). The talk is that GC will have atleast 1.3m to play with for Gazza, maybe more depending on how many senior players they manage to recruit.

At the end of the day best case scenerio for Geelong would bde to get within about 650-700k of GC, per season. Over 4 years that is 2.8M.

You guys didn't read his post properly.

Er yes i did. He is saying that under the AFL's club compensation criteria Geelong are likely to get a mid-1st round pick.

I am saying if you actually look at the criteria they will get far far more than that.

I don't think you read my post properly.

You don't really believe this do you?

Gazza is currently on 500k-550k per season. Geelong may possibly be able to squeeze another 200K out per season but lets be kind and say they come up with 800k (extremely unlikely). The talk is that GC will have atleast 1.3m to play with for Gazza, maybe more depending on how many senior players they manage to recruit.

At the end of the day best case scenerio for Geelong would bde to get within about 650-700k of GC, per season. Over 4 years that is 2.8M.

I meant per year.

I've seen Gazza listed at 600-800k now, plus endorsements. Say he gets his 800k and GC offer 1.5mil, that's a discrepancy of 700k. Which is 315k a season after tax, or just over 1.2mil for 4 years.

I'm not saying it's not a big difference. I'm saying it's not as massive as people (like you with your 2.8mil figure) believe.

I meant per year.

I've seen Gazza listed at 600-800k now, plus endorsements. Say he gets his 800k and GC offer 1.5mil, that's a discrepancy of 700k. Which is 315k a season after tax, or just over 1.2mil for 4 years.

I'm not saying it's not a big difference. I'm saying it's not as massive as people (like you with your 2.8mil figure) believe.

I'm not an accountant to i'm not going to start talking about after tax figures or start assuming how Gazza can minimise this.

If the figures being touted are anything to go by he will be better of by around 2.8M over 4 years prior to whatver his accountant comes up with.

This is a massive figure in anybodies mind.

Also, you talk about after tax earning yet you fail to acknowledge the extra money he woulkd earn in endorsements. We are talking crazy money here and the GC would play a very big part in making sure it happens.

P.S - You're well off the mark with Gazza currently being on 600-800k per season. :thumbsu:

An Ablett move to Queensland in my view is fantastic for Geelong long term too as the team will have to start rebuilding in a few years anyway. Lots of GCFC draft picks will be a God send to Geelong, like it or not.

I would agree with you, if the draft picks would be adequate compensation for what he is worth (i.e. two in the top 10). With the stupid AFL compensation formula with picks at the end of each round, we'll get nowhere near that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think that Ablett is worth more then a mid range draft pick. Ablett is/will arguably be one of the greatest players that ever played the game. Considering he's still fairly young, i would think Geelong would be compensated with the 2nd/3rd pick of the draft + a mid first round pick.

Agreed. Given Judd effectively was traded for picks 3, 4 and 20, no one in their right mind can argue Ablett's only worth about pick 17, which unless I am misunderstanding the compensation formula, is about what we'll get.

I'm philosophical about losing players, but the compensation really should be appropriate.

I'd rate him 50-50 chance to leave.

As others have said he's done everything he can for Geelong. Moving to another club would help him step out of his old man's shadow a bit too.

Possibly...although Gazza really is pretty reclusive and likes his privacy, which is one of the things that might help him decide to stay.

But yes, I agree it's 50-50.

But for Geelong supporters' sake I hope he doesn't. The AFL's "compensation" package for players traded to GC is rubbish and barely amounts to compensation at all for someone like Ablett. Nor is it really fair that a team that has just entered the league should be entitled to have one of the league's best players at the club in its' very first season. Just look at what Hawthorn had to endure in our first 40 or so years - now that was doing it tough, and it made winning our first premiership 1000x sweeter, something clubs like Fremantle, GC, GWS & co. will never understand.

Agreed.....if Franklin was the one who looked like going and the compensation was equally inadequate, I'd be backing you in your complaints.

Huh? Are you for real?

Pick 1 is an absolute certainty, it is just a matter of what else the AFL throws in as part of the compensation.

Intitially drafted as F/S but would have been classed as an early first rounder if not for that.

B&F 2007, 2009 / R/U B&F 2008
Brownlow 2009 - Total of 72 votes in the last 3 seasons
AFLPA player of the year 3 years running
Age = right in peak.

If you take all the criteria into account i think it is safe to assume the AFL will hand Geelong pick 1 + another early - mid 1st rounder.

Given that the AFL have said the compensation picks (even though we don't know exactly what the formula is) will be "additional" picks, rather than taking away the GC's existing picks, pick 1 is impossible (as is any other top 10 pick for that matter). Hence why we are saying it's rubbish.

I'm not an accountant to i'm not going to start talking about after tax figures or start assuming how Gazza can minimise this.

If the figures being touted are anything to go by he will be better of by around 2.8M over 4 years prior to whatver his accountant comes up with.

This is a massive figure in anybodies mind.

Also, you talk about after tax earning yet you fail to acknowledge the extra money he woulkd earn in endorsements. We are talking crazy money here and the GC would play a very big part in making sure it happens.

P.S - You're well off the mark with Gazza currently being on 600-800k per season. :thumbsu:

It's rather simple math. 55% of the discrepancy of Geelong's offer Vs GC's. That's all.

No one knows what he gets from endorsements now, or what he could potentially earn up there, ergo no one knows the difference between the two.

The quote from the main article says 600k. The 800k figure was someone misquoting what he could be on as opposed to what he is.

Basically we're going to be looking at an offer of 800k v 1.5mil like I said. Which, as I have also said, will be a difference 315k in Jnr's hand a season. Then factor in your endorsements if you like, which is impossible to do really because none of us have any idea what they'd entail.

My point remains: People will wax lyrical about his potential to earn 3mil odd extra over 4 years, and I'm just simply pointing out that Mr Tax Man will nab 55% of that, so the discrepancy isn't as large as people may think. It's still large, and could definitely sway him to go, but it won't be in the 3mil range.

Doesnt the AFL's compensation formula rule out the initial draft picks? I cant find the exact information but I beleive the first 10 or so arent included - so even though Ablett is probably worth 3 or 4 top 10 picks, Geelong would only get pick 11 - or something like that.

Decent chance imo.

There is a bit of a fairly tale type story about him staying and captaining Geelong like his Dad. But at the same time, I reckon his Dad might tell him to go to the Gold Coast and set himself up for life after footy - and not p!ss it all away like he did!

It'd be nice to hear of the GC going after someone else aswell though. There are other good players in the competition whose contracts must end soon, surely.

I used to think that everytime they mentioned Tippett & the GC together, it made me feel sick inside until he re signed.

I think Gaz will stay for what it's worth. :thumbsu:

As far as i know when it comes to compensation picks they arent in the year that the player is drafted.

In this case it wouldnt be in either the 2 years that GC or GWS entered the competition. They then have 5 years within which to use that pick but they have to nominate which year. They could possibly get a first round pick, and end of first round pick, end of second round pick etc.

In the case of Jnr they would probably get number 1 pick in the draft as compensation. They would also be able to pick which year they wanted it. Now dont get me wrong he's a great player and when you look at the judd deal the eagles basically got pick 3,4 and 20 so thinking to only get 1 pick would seem a little harsh.

But lets also look at it from the other angle, the cats were bloody lucky to get him with only a bloody father/son pick to start with as he would have gone very early if not number 1 in his draft year anyway. So its not as though geelong havent already had a sweet deal out of him.

2 premierships, a brownlow and giving his heart and soul for the club every week for only a friggin father/son pick sounds pretty damned sweet to me, especially if you get the number 1 pick in any draft you bloody well want from 2012-2016.

It was actually the total opposite. We knew very early on that it was almost certain that he was leaving. It was more like "It will be a miracle if Wangers stays". :mad:

There were always persistent rumours about that, of Port letting Essendon have Wanganeen then under promise of his return once Port got the AFL licence, with the alternative being not having him at all. How true it is, who knows.

As far as i know when it comes to compensation picks they arent in the year that the player is drafted.

In this case it wouldnt be in either the 2 years that GC or GWS entered the competition. They then have 5 years within which to use that pick but they have to nominate which year. They could possibly get a first round pick, and end of first round pick, end of second round pick etc.

In the case of Jnr they would probably get number 1 pick in the draft as compensation. They would also be able to pick which year they wanted it. Now dont get me wrong he's a great player and when you look at the judd deal the eagles basically got pick 3,4 and 20 so thinking to only get 1 pick would seem a little harsh.

But lets also look at it from the other angle, the cats were bloody lucky to get him with only a bloody father/son pick to start with as he would have gone very early if not number 1 in his draft year anyway. So its not as though geelong havent already had a sweet deal out of him.

2 premierships, a brownlow and giving his heart and soul for the club every week for only a friggin father/son pick sounds pretty damned sweet to me, especially if you get the number 1 pick in any draft you bloody well want from 2012-2016.

I dont think he wouldve went anywhere close to number 1 in his draft
year, Im not sure where he wouldve went - but I dont think he wouldve
even went in the top 10

He would be a moron to turn that down. He doesn't owe Geelong anything. They got him cheap through the father-son, and he has delivered in spades. Business is business and Geelong is a hole. And dont give me the line about sticking with your mates. He's not a 12 year old boy. Time to grow up, and think about the future of your (future) kids.

Anyway.....I hope this happens, coz i reckon Hodgey might be plan B. And that would be a travesty.

Remove this Banner Ad

G. Ablett in talks with GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back