G. Ablett in talks with GC

Remove this Banner Ad

You couldn't really blame him if he goes, can absolutely set himself up for life financially up there. There's not much more for him to achieve at Kardinia so I don't think you could begrudge him the opportunity if he decided to take it.

He might be able to secure a sun cream sponsorship for his bald head.

Excactly. Look at Judd. He knocked back going to two superior teams, and another which will be pretty good in a few years, to go to one where he could recieve a few extra million under the table.

If Ablett feels he should try and earn as much as he can before he retires, then he may very well take their offer.

It sets him up for life and the stigma of playing for different clubs is long gone.

I mean even dad played for other clubs so its not unusual.

Take the money son , you got the medals now take the cash

Re: Ablett in "secret" talks with Gold Coast FC

Which would be $450 000 after tax. A MASSIVE difference. The discrepancy between what Geelong will offer, and what GC will offer won't be that high either.

Mate you need a new accountant, if you think that ppl on that sort of moneey pay the TOP marginal rate of 48 % you are in gaga land, only the factory workers pay the full rate.

He would be lucky to pay 20% that leaves 800K more than the cats pay now.

thats a lot of bourbon and cokes.

i may be wrong here, but dont all player contracts end at some point after trade week. If gaz was dead set on going, wouldn't geelong be able to trade him to gc for whatever draft picks they could squeeze out of them (eg. better picks then the compensation pick if he went as an uncontracted player).

Anyone else absolutely dumbfounded as to why Ablett would be having these talks now?

GC have had no problems communicating that they are after him, and so they should be, so surely he could just meet with them at a more convenient time? It's not as if it's now or never. Just seems like an ugly, ugly distraction doing it now IMO.

I don't see the $$$ argument as being a very good one.

Judd left the Eagles because he wanted to go home and he knew the shitstorm that was coming. Yes he is getting paid well by the Blues but they were also the team that could best do a deal. If Collingwood had the same picks as Carlton I think he would've chosen them.

Ablett is on about 700k if you believe the numbers on here. No-one needs more than that. It's stupid to think that money is the only reason. I don't think Ablett is that greedy $ wise to pack up and go. He is greedy for success. If he sees more flags as the captain of GC than he does as VC of Geelong then he would strongly consider going I think.

It's not about the money. He is getting taken care of very well at the Cats and I'm sure he gets alot of perks from the locals day in and day out. To think that another half a mil is going to be worth turning his back on an entire community isn't saying much about the guys self respect.

If he goes it's because he sees glory as a player NOT dollar signs.

Why is playing with his brother such an influence when he would have to leave the city where his mother, father and sister currently live, and the state in which his whole family is to do so?

Delusional ...Ablett was ayways plan A and they let everyone know early on that he was the Man they wanted .
You take such umbrage to the fact that Hodge could've possibly been as high on the shopping list as Gaz, that you call me delusional? :rolleyes:
Fact is GC made a big play for Hodge, dangled a massive carrot in front of him and his management, he denied it and signed with Hawthorn.
Now they've moved onto someone else on their list of targets. Don't be so precious about a letter.

I am disappointed the AFL allows clubs to 'tap up' a player who has 12 months to run on a current contract. It is a massive distraction for Geelong.

To be honest, i just hope it does not effect next year's tilt and that the AFL has the compensation package in place. He is worth 1 and 2 in the draft and we can work from there.

I think he'll stay anyway.

You mean like the Hawks did with Burgoyne....

Why is playing with his brother such an influence when he would have to leave the city where his mother, father and sister currently live, and the state in which his whole family is to do so?

because as Nick Riewoldt showed....families can move (his mum and dad moved form the GC to melbourne last year just before he signed up to the sainters).

(Not that I think they will. Or that Gazza will be GC Gazz. However my point stands)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club Loyalty???

When a club dumps a player on his ass because it's for the good of the club, or they're going in another direction or they're looking to youth to build the next premiership side its all fine and dandy and accepted....but when a player looks at his future and considers his options all of a sudden he is a disloyal selfish traitor!

Talk about the double standards. If someone like James Hird left Essendon for cash, yeh I'd be filthy but at the end of the day you can't blame a guy for looking out for his future! You only have so many years to get the most out of it!

Club Loyalty???

When a club dumps a player on his ass because it's for the good of the club, or they're going in another direction or they're looking to youth to build the next premiership side its all fine and dandy and accepted....but when a player looks at his future and considers his options all of a sudden he is a disloyal selfish traitor!

Talk about the double standards. If someone like James Hird left Essendon for cash, yeh I'd be filthy but at the end of the day you can't blame a guy for looking out for his future! You only have so many years to get the most out of it!

if another company offered me a 50% pay increase to do the same job id would be very keen to see what they had to offer...

To me this sounds like due diligence by Ablett and his management, just hearing the offer and seeing what is on the table is the right thing to do.

It doesn't mean Gary has any interest at all in playing for the GC, in fact it could just be a ploy by his management team to raise the offer Geelong may present him.

And as for what compensation he would be worth, Geelong would get one first round draft pick for him, that can be used over a 3 year period.

If Gazza just wanted to find out how much he was worth on the open market couldn't his manager just speak to GC without Gazza meeting up with them.

If I was a geelong supporter I would be a little worried that Gazza actually met with them in person.

I also wonder if GC have been talking to Gazza Snr about moving the family up to a nice house on beach courtesy of the football club.

Re: Ablett in "secret" talks with Gold Coast FC

tough, and it made winning our first premiership 1000x sweeter, something clubs like Fremantle, GC, GWS & co. will never understand.

Yeah, because having no facilities, minimal coaching staff, actively hostile local administrators, minimal draft concessions and being forced to accept the dregs off other clubs lists really compares to years of rigged drafts, millions of dollars in subsidies and coaches/players handpicked and paid for by the AFL.

You moron.

I think as much as it will be bad for Geelong to lose one of there goldern boys. In the long run they may be better off. With the cats premiership window almost certinally coming to an end at the end of next season, what's the purpose in having the best player in the leauge running around in a rebuilding side. I know he would be a terrific role model for the kids but why not get some good compensation for him and kick the rebuilding off quickly.

Agree with MRryan, he'd be stupid to stay at Geelong if they offer him twice as much money for what he does. Geelong people will understand he has already brought them two flags.

So you'd be happy to see Buddy go north if Hawthorn win the flag next year? After all, he'd have brought them two flags....

No Gary No!

253886289_fa2ed5fa9e_m.jpg

hahaha :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

G. Ablett in talks with GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back