News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair to middling chance I could have departed this mortal coil by then and wont have to worry about that.⚰️🪦
We better have won a premiership before then!

Is a joke that we will be without the Gabba for as long as will be. 4 or 5 seasons?
Why is it a joke?

Do you believe they can demolish and build it faster?

Or that the Olympic stadium should be elsewhere?

What due believe the current Gabba’s life span is?

At some point it will need to be demolished and a new stadium built. So at some point we will be without a home.

We have seen that we already need a larger stadium for finals attendances.

We’ll be out of there for the entire 2032 season most likely. There’ll be a hell of a lot of prep to rip up all the turf and make it an athletics track, and then it’ll take time to re-lay the turf after as well.
This.

People tend to forget that the same stadium is used for the Para Olympics afterwards.

And there is usually a test event before the actual olympics.

Why is it a joke?

At some point it will need to be demolished and a new stadium built. So at some point we will be without a home.

Yup, there was talk starting already about rebuilding the Gabba years before the Olympics were confirmed, it was always going to happen at some point

Why is it a joke?

As has been reported, the cost will make it the 3rd most expensive stadium in the world, well more than other Aussie stadiums like Optus. The senate committee asked them to urgently reconsider not knocking it down. It looks good in the renders but not some of the out of this world stuff you see in stadiums like the new Raiders stadium in Vegas.

My other main issue is that the time line, I'm no expert but 4 years seems like too long to me.

And regarding the alternative arrangements, for both AFL and Cricket, it just reeks of flying by the seat of their pants and no forward planning.

Dos that mean there will be a 3-5 year period where we won't have an MCG when that needs to be rebuilt (re the stadia have lifespans references) ... I wonder if they will insist the grannies go to Docklands or play at the home of the higher remaining seed?
It's been a long time since I've been to the G, but from my visit I'm surprised to hold the opinion that it's slightly overrated as a ground and maybe a little tired. Don't get me wrong, considering it's capacity it's a great place to watch footy from - I was nearly as far back as you can be and still had a great view. But I found the concourse areas ( at least where I was) small and claustrophobic, the seating too close together inside.

What it's got going for it, is it's easy to get in and out of and has good accessibility (ramps, etc).

I don't know enough about the structural elements, but when the Pies supporters were going off at the end, the stand was shaking and moving. I do know a couple of guys who are structural engineers - I should ask them about that. One of them was even involved in building the southern stand at the Gabba.

As has been reported, the cost will make it the 3rd most expensive stadium in the world, well more than other Aussie stadiums like Optus. The senate committee asked them to urgently reconsider not knocking it down. It looks good in the renders but not some of the out of this world stuff you see in stadiums like the new Raiders stadium in Vegas.

My other main issue is that the time line, I'm no expert but 4 years seems like too long to me.

And regarding the alternative arrangements, for both AFL and Cricket, it just reeks of flying by the seat of their pants and no forward planning.

So first off the cost I believe is mostly inclusive of the stadium itself AND the overhaul of the surrounding precinct, including the underpass on Main Street that’s in the renders.

Secondly the senate report is an actual joke, did you read much of it? It’s essentially “we think the stadium shouldn’t be knocked down, they should build a second stadium instead somewhere else”. Doesn’t suggest where, doesn’t consider how much that would cost to firstly demolish land/houses/whatever and build a new stadium; doesn’t go into the fact that this would probably be out of the city somewhere and so would go unused most of the time, the fact that there would likely be no infrastructure nor easy transport wherever this hypothetical new site is while the Gabba is about to become a central hub for both transport and nightlife, etc etc.

Why do we need two round stadiums? The Gabba is getting old, it needs to be refurbished anyway, it makes sense to just knock it down and start again rather than building an entirely new round stadium in a city that probably only needs one.

The Senate committee is stacked with LNP and Greens members. The report is a 100% attention-seeking political bluster and offers zero practical solutions.

I don't know enough about the structural elements, but when the Pies supporters were going off at the end, the stand was shaking and moving. I do know a couple of guys who are structural engineers - I should ask them about that. One of them was even involved in building the southern stand at the Gabba.
The Gabba shakes too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Gabba shakes too.
Yeah, I remember people who attended the Olympics soccer matches there saying the Brazilians had it shaking. I was more musing whether there is a certain amount of flex allowed for in those stands before they reach a point where they need to be replaced.

Yeah, I remember people who attended the Olympics soccer matches there saying the Brazilians had it shaking. I was more musing whether there is a certain amount of flex allowed for in those stands before they reach a point where they need to be replaced.
In the building game we have what we call live and dead loads and Stadiums would have to be built with live loads in mind, especially for soccer supporters who all jump in unison creating loads probably 10 times greater.

The Senate committee is stacked with LNP and Greens members. The report is a 100% attention-seeking political bluster and offers zero practical solutions.
You see the LNP and the Greens can work together :cool: **

** ... to stuff things up***

*** that being said stuffing things up is a prime purpose of modern government ... solving problems is evil by definition because that requires less bureucrats!

The longer this takes for a decision to be made, the more I feel like Springfield will be the chosen home for us over that 4 odd year period. I assume that's the cheapest option and it's probably already cutting it tight time wise for the NRA showground to be developed for AFL/cricket.

Springfield is not a great outcome for fans IMO. Particularly for a northsider like me. Would mean at least an hour drive to get to a game🤮. Public transport just as bad.

Also arguably the last chance for decades to come for the ekka showgrounds to be redeveloped. Will be a shame.

Last edited:
New AFL boss Andrew Dillon has talked down the prospect of Olympic cricket at the MCG as a decision on the Brisbane Lions' temporary home remains in the air.

The chief executive was in Springfield on Tuesday to attend the National Inclusion Carnival, held a short drive from the Lions' new Brighton Homes Arena headquarters.

Link below for the full article

The longer this takes for a decision to be made, the more I feel like Springfield will be the chosen home for us over that 4 odd year period. I assume that's the cheapest option which means and it's probably already cutting it tight time wise for the NRA showground to be developed for AFL/cricket.

Springfield is not a great outcome for fans IMO. Particularly for a northsider like me. Would mean at least an hour drive to get to a game🤮. Public transport just as bad.

Also arguably the last chance for decades to come for the ekka showgrounds to be redeveloped. Will be a shame.
If they make it Springfield I am a little concerned that they will start charging us a lease for use of the stands with the amount of money they have spent on it.
It is perfect now as the facility is completely ours and will allow us to get out of debt.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back