Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pathetic what footy has come to. That was a simple, legitimate run down tackle.

There was no sling, no excessive force, just two guys falling to the ground as the result of a basic component of the game - a tackle.

It was incidental contact with no malice. The toffees in AFL House have to remember that it's a contact sport and you simply can't legislate incidental concussion out of the game.
Added to the fact that Walsh brought his head close to the ground in a tackle later in the game, clearly in order to try and milk a free kick. He's not the only one doing it, but he did it (at least) twice in the one game.

He needs to be called out for this. It's stupid, dangerous and wrong.

When talking about Mannagh's draft pick remember last year's draft was historically thin. A recruiter likened pick 40 last year to a rookie pick most years. After Mannagh we took 2 guys not even playing state league regularly to show what we thought of the talent who came through the typical pathways.

Regardless of that port and freo and a couple of other clubs were going to take him shortly after that pick so he was rated.

No worries, mate. I enjoy your posts, and mostly agree with what you said about Geelong/Port.
Cheers mate.
I do feel for Mannagh too, the guy has worked so hard for a crack and finally got drafted, would like to see him playing AFL especially as we have a hole in his age group. Hopefully he’s back in the hoops next week.

Added to the fact that Walsh brought his head close to the ground in a tackle later in the game, clearly in order to try and milk a free kick. He's not the only one doing it, but he did it (at least) twice in the one game.

He needs to be called out for this. It's stupid, dangerous and wrong.

And on the other hand you have the AFL giving its blessing to Maynard blatantly, deliberately and maliciously jumping into Brayshaw and putting him into retirement.

Their feel for, and adjudication of, our great game is inept, atrocious and a danger to the game itself.

Cheers mate.
I do feel for Mannagh too, the guy has worked so hard for a crack and finally got drafted, would like to see him playing AFL especially as we have a hole in his age group. Hopefully he’s back in the hoops next week.
So Mannagh, who turns 27 in August, fits an age demographic that the team needs. It amuses me that Mitch Hardie is a month younger than Shaun Mannagh but people are putting a line through him because of his age. Even though Hardie has clearly been Geelong's best player in the VFL this year and Geelong's AFL team is in desperate need of a half decent midfielder. 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both arms pinned. He lost a brownlow the same way

How do you approach your opponent from behind, at speed, and tackle him such that you only pin one arm?

It'd almost require the tackler only use one arm himself, and I'd suggest that would almost be physically impossible.

So Mannagh, who turns 27 in August, fits an age demographic that the team needs. It amuses me that Mitch Hardie is a month younger than Shaun Mannagh but people are putting a line through him because of his age. Even though Hardie has clearly been Geelong's best player in the VFL this year and Geelong's AFL team is in desperate need of a half decent midfielder. 🤔
Both are spakfilla, and certainly not any solution to our issues.

I thought the umpiring was good last night , with the exception of the 2nd goal of the game , Curnow free , i thought that was iffy

But the rest of the game i thought it was perfectly umpired

And there were a few players with the ball immediately tackled and theyd go to the ground hoping they would get a sympathy free kick for too high and the umpires did not pay 1 of those which was good

I'm not saying it's possible, I'm just saying it won't be overturned

I hope, for the sake of the game going forward, that you're wrong.

Requiring a player to perform an impossible action for it to be considered legitimate is ridiculous. Doing so essentially eliminates the run down tackle from the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Game days suck - Carlton prevail

Remove this Banner Ad

Back