Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Do double header matches entitle you to see both matches and if yes do you get a pass out between games? That would be massive for businesses in the CBD and North Adelaide. The Queens Head Hotel and Catherall would be impossible to move and eat in. The Parade would like Gather Round every week.
Yes, I believe you can attend both games.

Think you can pass out too.

Whinging from Sydney. Matthews saying an extra home game is not fair. Wtf. Collingwood and Richmond never move out. Never play in Darwin,Alice or Tasmania.

I like this in the article

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas said last week the round would be even better with more than five months to prepare.

“I hope from the AFL’s perspective they can see a value in keeping it by virtue of the fact we’ve done this in five months … so with 12 months’ preparation I honestly believe we can take it to another level,” he said.

Whinging from Sydney. Matthews saying an extra home game is not fair. Wtf. Collingwood and Richmond never move out. Never play in Darwin,Alice or Tasmania.

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas said last week the round would be even better with more than five months to prepare.

“I hope from the AFL’s perspective they can see a value in keeping it by virtue of the fact we’ve done this in five months … so with 12 months’ preparation I honestly believe we can take it to another level,” he said.

he said the same thing on Best on Ground last night, they have done a remarkable job to get this up and running in such a short time

I don't think the double header at AO concept is poor, moreso the short gap in between matches. If they had the first match 1:00pm-4:00pm and the second match 7:30pm-10:30pm that'd be perfect. A lot of people would watch the first match, head out for a feed, then come back for the second match. You could sell "double header" tickets first, at a premium, then sell them as individual games after that.

For television, there could be a 4:00pm-7:00pm match at a suburban ground.

Something like this -

Thursday: 7:00 at AO
Friday: 4:00 at suburban ground, 7:00 at AO
Saturday: 1:00 at AO, 4:00 suburban ground, 7:30 at AO
Sunday: 12:30 at AO, 4:00 suburban ground (or 2:00 country ground), 7:00 at AO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney have the Mardi Gras which suits what they are about. We have Gather round which suits what we are about :)

Love everyone pointing out how unfair it is we get gather round and the unfair advantage of a neutral game at AO.

But apparently the MCG is fine and neutral for the grand final, no advantage.

Or how no one questions Geelong getting a ton of true home games in Geelong and then a heap at the neutral MCG, I think they leave Victoria 4 times.

Or no one questions any of the blockbuster games being locked in permanently.

Ideally gather round would work in Perth too (not sure about people getting there) and we'd each take turns as a reward for actually being football states.

But if not I have no issue that it's a bit unfair for us to have it. Not much is fair in the AFL.

Love everyone pointing out how unfair it is we get gather round and the unfair advantage of a neutral game at AO.

But apparently the MCG is fine and neutral for the grand final, no advantage.

Or how no one questions Geelong getting a ton of true home games in Geelong and then a heap at the neutral MCG, I think they leave Victoria 4 times.

Or no one questions any of the blockbuster games being locked in permanently.

Ideally gather round would work in Perth too (not sure about people getting there) and we'd each take turns as a reward for actually being football states.

But if not I have no issue that it's a bit unfair for us to have it. Not much is fair in the AFL.
I noticed that Grant Thomas replied to someone on Twitter who had a rant about Dreamtime and ANZAC being tradition and must tied to the clubs who started them. He completely dismissed that idea and said sharing those games would be a good idea.

He did advocate for Gather Round being shared. Logically to grow the game it has to be shared. But sentimentally I would like it here permanently. We are the Festival City. Saying that, it would be good to have it for about 5 years then share it.

They won't get the numbers to every game in NSW or QLD but if it is done right it will create a buzz. I feel like in those markets a 1-off would gain the attention. Perth would do an outstanding job. It's a pity it is so far away. But completely excluding WA seems like an excuse.
SA for a stint then rotate around Tas, WA, NSW and QLD then back to SA for another stint. Have it in TAS in their AFL team's inaugural year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back