Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that some Blues & Bulldogs are most unhappy by the extension of gather round...

They have no issue with a 50 year MCG grand final deal though.

Guarantee both SA clubs play non Victorian clubs next year.

I mean - For $15m, he brought in $85m into the state

Maybe next year park half of SAPOL on the road between Melbourne and Adelaide, and push for $150m :p
This is the small mindedness from Marshall that cancelled events here.
Purely looked at the outlay.
Imagine if we only did things that didn’t cost the state.

It'd be either the weekend of April 11-14 (Last weekend of holidays for NT, QLD, VIC and WA + First weekend of holidays for NSW, ACT and SA)

Though, a smokey would be July 4-7 (Last weekend for QLD, middle weekend for NT, VIC and WA + First weekend for NSW, ACT and SA) - But that might be a hard one to convince Collingwood of, as that's their annual away to Gold Coast game.
Do you want it in the depths of winter in July though?

Guarantee both SA clubs play non Victorian clubs next year.
That'd be the worst thing the AFL could do.

For a matter of fairness, it should be the hosts hosting a Victorian team, There's enough of them that it'd take 5 years to go through them all, so it's not like in the long run it's a big disadvantage.

I laugh at the short sightedness of the Victorians though. Wah wah wah, Adelaide/Port hosting a 13th game, they should play each other. Cool, to make up for a lost showdown, you now have to send a team over, and now your fans dont get access.........

Could make it more hostile as it could be 50k vs 2k instead of 35k vs 10k w/ 5k neutral.

For a matter of fairness, it should be the hosts hosting a Victorian team, There's enough of them that it'd take 5 years to go through them all, so it's not like in the long run it's a big disadvantage.

I laugh at the short sightedness of the Victorians though. Wah wah wah, Adelaide/Port hosting a 13th game, they should play each other. Cool, to make up for a lost showdown, you now have to send a team over, and now your fans dont get access.........

Could make it more hostile as it could be 50k vs 2k instead of 35k vs 10k w/ 5k neutral.

Yep and only the MCG is capable of hosting neutral games.

Edit...there was no short sightedness stitching up the GF venue though....funny that.

Do you want it in the depths of winter in July though?
Doesnt phase me.

The AFL I feel needs to work on training/warmup alternatives for the double headers. Put up some goals and the teams can prepare on Adelaide Oval 2 (Though, that'd suck for carpark) and it can be a quicker turnaround.

I think people would've spent more time there Saturday if they didn't have to sit around for an hour betwee matches.

I don't understand the talk of making the showdown occur in gather round to get rid of the home ground advantage.

No one bats an eyelid when it's been happening for 30 years for Victorian teams
Maybe whenever Essendon/Carlton fans b*tch and complain we should just ask them, you're happy to play "home" games against Collingwood and Richmond at their home ground.

If this is such a big issue, I assume you want your home games against them to be at Marvel?

This is a good point.
Carlton got to play us with 10k of their fans instead of 2k (actually Carlton are a bad example as they don’t come here normally but you get the point.)

I wouldn't mind if it was Adelaide v Essendon to open the round considering they're like Carlton and we barely ever play them here
Anyone with half a brain would know that the most logical thing to do is to make sure the host teams play Victorian teams every year. It balances things out and takes away their advantages.

Playing non-Victorian teams actually creates a disadvantage for the non-victorian teams. At the moment it's just the GF that they're ****ed over with. Add more with gather round? bs.

Season 5 Episode 20 GIF by The Simpsons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder in the Norwood nuffies in the area will complain as Much as they do when Clipsal is on about street closures
As an ex-Norwood resident.

Who cares about the Parade shutting. They already shut that for Norwood pageant and Tour Down Under etc.

The issue with Clipsal is that there's only 4 east-west roads into and out of the city. 2 of which get shut down for Clipsal (And pre-covid, it was 3 of them as it was in mad march, and that shut down Rundle), creating ridiculous amounts of congestion.

The issue was never there were street closures, it's what streets were closed.

So looks like Norwood oval will be part of it, mention of closing the parade and making a festivus of it, will make a few on here not happy 😝

Interesting to hear Montagna talk up Norwood
As it should be, an amazing boutique venue that looked right at home for the GWS and Suns as they same amount (or more) supporters that they usually play in front of were nice and close creating unreal atmosphere. Perfect spot for it location wise as well, being very close to City

So looks like Norwood oval will be part of it, mention of closing the parade and making a festivus of it, will make a few on here not happy 😝

Interesting to hear Montagna talk up Norwood

It was great. At least the Friday early game should be at Norwood, maybe the Sunday as well.

I can understand the love for all the grounds but I don't think any of them really work for various reasons. Glenelg maybe because of the Tram but Jetty Road isn't that exciting now a days and the Grand is a fair walk. You couldn't close Brighton road either.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back