Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

How many do you think from interstate would book tickets to games at The Parade next year, they would have enjoyed the atmosphere

We had our Richmond supporter friends from Melbourne over for the weekend staying with us. They went there to the Suns game before rushing back for the Tiger's game. Absolutely loved the ground and everything about it. Said it was an absolute highlight of their weekend. (though they were kind enough not to mention too loudly that it was quicker to go over the road for their food)

So looks like Norwood oval will be part of it, mention of closing the parade and making a festivus of it, will make a few on here not happy

Interesting to hear Montagna talk up Norwood
Shame they never did that tram to the parade. Would have come in handy about now.

What a great weekend it was.

Can we add a Women's State of Origin match between SA and VIC to be one of the double header matches at Adelaide Oval and shift another game to a regional location?

Would love to see the money made from Gather Round go to improving facilities at The Parade and some more permanent infrastructure at country grounds.

I would also gladly move one of our home games to Darwin to enable a home game for Gather Round. Port could do the same.

Thurs (night): Adelaide vs Essendon (AO)
Fri (twilight): St Kilda vs Fremantle (The Parade)
Fri (night): Sydney vs Geelong (AO)
Sat (afternoon): West Coast vs North Melbourne (Barossa)
Sat (twilight): Western Bulldogs vs Gold Coast (The Parade)
Sat (twilight double header game 1): SA vs VIC Women's State of Origin (AO)
Sat (night double header game 2): Port vs Collingwood (AO)
Sun (afternoon): Gold Coast vs Hawthorn (McLaren Vale)
Sun (afternoon double header game 1): Brisbane Lions vs Richmond (AO)
Sun (twilight double header game 2): Melbourne vs Carlton (AO)

Already the talk from Vic is the Showdown should be played at Gather Round. Whilst the national exposure would be great, you’re effectively locking out the opposing teams supporters and any neutrals and that goes against the spirit of Gather Round.

Also by making it a showdown, we are effectively adding another away game at someone else’s home ground, so that’s not fair anyway but these Vic sucks wouldn’t think of that.

Has to stay as is.

No State of origin unless we get more states involved.

When state pride comes into effect, you get upsets. Heck, I think if you look at SA vs Victoria history, SA has a winning record (or at least over the last 50 years they do)

And I dont like the idea of just 2 states competing.

The main board gather round thread the last 2 days has made me double the amount of people I'm ignoring

Already had 1 petty Port fan and 1 stupid vatnik from the Ukraine War thread. But Had to add PAFC Forever and Illegaleagle as their stupidity was giving me a migraine headache.

Probably good I skipped about 10 pages earlier today, as some others were driving me insane too.

Got to say I was pretty skeptical of the whole thing at first - just seemed like a lame attempt at copying the NRL.

What a great event it turned out to be though. Obviously us winning on Thursday helped, but just the buzz it created was awesome.

Kudos to the AFL and state government for investing the time and money to make it a worthwhile event (also a nod to the airlines for putting on extra flights and not screwing people). It's nice to see SA taking pride in our ability to host events again.

Can definitely see the Vics pushing for us to lose one of our other home games in the interests of "fairness" though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whateley actually standing up for us having it and for it not being a showdown due to the draw not being equitable anyway.
It can’t be. Means we’d get an extra away game on an oppositions home ground, so no matter what they do it won’t be equitable and as Whateley said, it’s shit show anyway. Crikey we even play the GF on some clubs home ground…

As an ex-Norwood resident.

Who cares about the Parade shutting. They already shut that for Norwood pageant and Tour Down Under etc.

The issue with Clipsal is that there's only 4 east-west roads into and out of the city. 2 of which get shut down for Clipsal (And pre-covid, it was 3 of them as it was in mad march, and that shut down Rundle), creating ridiculous amounts of congestion.

The issue was never there were street closures, it's what streets were closed.

And for two weeks rather than one Sunday afternoon. Why the bike race is far less objectionable, the road is shut for half a day.

Matthews idiotic assessment that crows and pear have an unfair advantage with an extra’hone’ game is so infuriating. Melbourne teams have a good 5-6 games a year than all other clubs at home . What about that inequity ?? Hell, some of them even get a home grand final when they didn’t earn it !! Such a dumb viewpoint

Amazing what funding goes into football outside of Victoria when the AVFL mafia look outside of their own backyard and gives government etc a good reason to invest.
I hope there’s a fair bit of AFL development funding going into these council areas and grounds too.

Matthews idiotic assessment that crows and pear have an unfair advantage with an extra’hone’ game is so infuriating. Melbourne teams have a good 5-6 games a year than all other clubs at home . What about that inequity ?? Hell, some of them even get a home grand final when they didn’t earn it !! Such a dumb viewpoint
Their fans are stupid

They argue that they dont get true home advantage as the crowd aspect makes it a neutral game.

However, with everyone having equal access to tickets, AO got a crowd split similar to what you'd get at one of these so called neutral Carlton vs St Kilda games........

So it's an extra home game Adelaide vs Carlton, but it's a neutral game for Carlton vs St Kilda? Right...........

Anyone know what the attendance for Saints/Coll was? Did it look full on TV?
43k (for both games)
Looked mid-high 30s at the end of the game.

So crowd held up quite well.

As if it was all equal before this and now it's tipped it in our favour.

Imagine playing 17 games in Melbourne, little travel fatigue, high chance of not travelling in finals and then coming up against a non-Victorian in a GF.

Imagine the commercial advantage of knowing you've got one of the blockbuster games locked in every year.

Imagine only having to scrape into the 8 like Carlton and then getting rewarded every second Friday night game (and probably the rest Saturday night on 7 with all of the fanfare) while we are told we have to be a top 4 team for a while before we are rewarded with 2 or 3 Friday night games max. (likely in rounds where there is a Thursday night game to take the shine off a bit) and a handful of Saturday nights on Foxtel.

Then the final argument is always "well you chose to join our competition, you knew what you were getting into." Sure, but look at what the competition has become since we did, other than a handful of Victorian sides hanging around well beyond their use by date it's unrecognizable.

Last edited:
Already the talk from Vic is the Showdown should be played at Gather Round. Whilst the national exposure would be great, you’re effectively locking out the opposing teams supporters and any neutrals and that goes against the spirit of Gather Round.

Also by making it a showdown, we are effectively adding another away game at someone else’s home ground, so that’s not fair anyway but these Vic sucks wouldn’t think of that.

Has to stay as is.
Yeah no, screw that. I see no benefit in a Gather round Showdown.

In fact if I was a Vic club i'd be gunning to play an Adelaide team during the Gather-round. Marquee timeslot at a packed AO in a Novelty round, that's maximum exposure your club!

Yeah no, screw that. I see no benefit in a Gather round Showdown.

In fact if I was a Vic club i'd be gunning to play an Adelaide team during the Gather-round. Marquee timeslot at a packed AO in a Novelty round, that's maximum exposure your club!
And they'd probably be able to say 'well, we had to travel in Gather round instead of it being neutral, so we only want 4 other interstate games'

Could be a win for the club (Less travel, better exposure)

I think next year Adelaide vs Melbourne on Thursday Night, Port Adelaide vs Richmond on Friday Night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back