GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC are going to be interesting to watch from a drafting versus development view point. If it is all about drafting as many seem to believe, they will dominate in 5 years time and have done the right thing by recruiting so few seasoned bodies who know how to get the best out of themselves. But, personally I think that player development is the more important half of the equation and from that perspeective, I think that they recruited poorly from both a seasoned role model perspective and in terms of leadership. If I was them I would have taken a few more leaders at the end of their careers who know what it takes and have gotten the best out of themselves, even if it was about persuading them out of retirement - eg. Obree, Lockyer, Hahn, etc. These guys would have come virtually for free and only would have cost GC the last few spots on their list.

GC are going to be interesting to watch from a drafting versus development view point. If it is all about drafting as many seem to believe, they will dominate in 5 years time and have done the right thing by recruiting so few seasoned bodies who know how to get the best out of themselves. But, personally I think that player development is the more important half of the equation and from that perspeective, I think that they recruited poorly from both a seasoned role model perspective and in terms of leadership. If I was them I would have taken a few more leaders at the end of their careers who know what it takes and have gotten the best out of themselves, even if it was about persuading them out of retirement - eg. Obree, Lockyer, Hahn, etc. These guys would have come virtually for free and only would have cost GC the last few spots on their list.
Not sure about the retirees but agree with your way of thinking there. They should have recruited a few SANFL or WAFL senior players say 23 yr old, slready played 5-6 years of quality senior footy but not in the best 100 to get drafted when they were 18.

Dont know what people expected of the Suns.

It will take at least 3 years before they are a fully competitive unit.The GCFC and GWS are both long term projects and should be treated as such.

It wasnt that long ago that Carlton were getting their arses kicked on a regular basis!

Re: GCS what were AFL thinking?

in the coming years, they have zone selections available to them for a while, not permanently.

So the Reiwiolts, Armitages, Gilberts, Beams and Tippet's of the world will end up there instead of going early in the draft.

This will develop the game, but at the end of the day - its a draft system in the game and it will remain so.

More concessions. :rolleyes:
Having said that, at least these zone selections address the grass-roots issue of developing the game in the state of Queensland.
But the GC really have had it handed to a platter already, and should be very thankful for the AFL's generosity.

I thought the improvement on display was immense (the game was admittedly *very* dull and lacking in intensity) and only a blind man would fail to see the potential in the Sun's stocks.
Having a good look this afternoon, I could easily see half of that side becoming very, very good AFL players.
Swallow, Prestia, McKenzie, Coad, Tape and Matera all improved greatly as the game progressed. Bennell could come on. Gorringe has ability.
Those players I've just named don't even account for a small portion of the quality picks and concessions that the Gold Coast has been gifted.
There will be a dozen flat-out guns in that side by 2013.

The recruits all contributed quite well today also; Ablett was very solid, Bock competed gamely, Harbrow and Brennan tried to be creative. Ritshitelli was ok. Krakouer wasn't so good.

Gold Coast entered the comp a year too early

Why do we have to put up with one sided games every week involving Gold Coast? They are going to go 0-22. Every game is going to be boring and a blowout.

Epic fail by the AFL it wouldn't have hurt to keep them out untill 2012 at least.

Next year with GWS is going to be a FARCE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Gold Coast entered the comp a year too early

These days the AFL is too professional for a club to enter and win games...Did you want them to spend another year at VFL? Do you think Gazza would of accepted playing in the VFL? Do you think 17 - 18 year old kids would learn much playing against a reserves side?

Its a steep learning curve but they are doing better, I mean they finally had a decent quarter. Week by week they are getting closer, and its still only round 4 (their 3rd game)

How would they be any better entering in 2012?

They'd still be a team of kids who haven't played at AFL level and a bunch of transferring AFL players who've never played together.

Ummm...because it gives them another pre-season under the belt? To "up and coming young sides" that is invaluable.

Frankly I think Vlad will be regretting this decision come round 15.

Ummm...because it gives them another pre-season under the belt? To "up and coming young sides" that is unvaluable.

Frankly I think Vlad will be regretting this decision come round 15.

The GC team that is playing today would not be playing in the VFL in 2011.

Ablett, Rischitelli, Brown, Bock, Brennan etc. would not have left their respective AFL clubs to play a year of VFL footy.

Swallow, Prestia, Matera etc. being a year older with another pre-season under their belts will help the GC, but they really need time together as a team playing matches at AFL level.

hissy fit thread, 0-22 will be proven wrong, get off your computer

They could have been competitive but they've shown a complete disrespect for experience in their recruiting. Its either run away ego or tanking.

IF GC entered a year later the likes of Swallow, Weller, Smith and Materia among others would not have hung around and gone off to be drafted by teams. They would be back at square one or using discard draft picks and be below average.

Have a read of the Hawks first 30 years in the competition, non competitive for a long long time.

If you don't like them don't watch them. They are actually improving every week, just outscored Melbourne in the third term.

Worst coached side I can remember since the end of Fitzroy. Players have no idea where to position themselves, it's really embarassing stuff for the AFL.

given the apparent strength of last years draft, and from what i've read this years one isn't so strong (the one after is looking good), then Gold Coast are probably better off then GWS.

what should have happened is the AFL should have put them under A LOT more pressure (even made it mandatory to trade off say 3 to 5 of their first round draft picks for players otherwise lose them if there was no evidence of them attempting to trade them during trade week) for them to sign more mature age players.

what should have happened is the AFL should have put them under A LOT more pressure (even made it mandatory) for them to sign more mature age players.

Agreed, stupid idea to try and horde their picks to create a super team 5 years down the track. Halfway through next year half of them are going to be sick and tired of being smashed by 50+ points every week and will make the move somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back