GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Gold Coast entered the comp a year too early

Collingwood will destroy them by 200 points.

Nah likely to rest plenty of players and go up there with a slack attitude at a guess

But if any time is on against and cracks records it should have an asterix next to it like playing Bangladesh in a test

Yeah he has been disgraceful he makes the easy look hard, his 1 hand kicking and running cost them a few goals this game and others.

I know I say they need a lot more senior players but he is 1 player who should be dropped to send a message especially while they are being flogged anyway. There is not a lot in their control atm but this is.

They couldn't have selected more poorly in his case. You're building a new club from scratch, with very few senior players and a multitude of impressionable youth and you choose Brennan to be one of these few senior players. Bizarre decision. Nathan Krakeour wasn't much better - the guy runs around like a headless chicken and is one of their senior players.

Re: Is GC's form hurting GWS?

Yes, now no one will want to come and play for GWS and it will suck a big expensive hole in the AFL.

Money is only part of it.

No one will want to go there and those players drafted will come back to Melbourne ASAP.

The huge failure of GWS will destroy the AFL.

Re: Is GC's form hurting GWS?

No question. Most Young guys today can't remember when a new club last joined and would not have realized just how hard it is in the early days. last year they were all thinking about playing for big money on the coast, now the reality sets in that you're in a struggling club. I have little doubt that Dane Swan and Dale Thomas took a good look at that 1st GC game and did some thinking afterwards!

In 2-4 years time half their team will be out the door and either traded or take their chances in the draft because they're sick of being flogged by 80+ points every week.

My thoughts precisely. Yes, they've got a handful of young players who look the goods, but their experienced players (except for Ablett) are not up to it, and they play a novelty act as a marketing exercise. I just wonder how long the young talent can keep losing by big margins before they get fed up with it.

I think they are a little bit light on for experience, but you don't want too many old blokes clogging up the list - particularly with the talent they had to choose from.

Already this round they've shown a lot of improvement. They are very patchy however. Their gameplan will eventually click when they get used to playing on the same team as each other and as the kids pick up the pace of the game.

I'm guessing they might try to snare one or two good, mid-range players at the end of the year and stock up on some more youth. Regardless of their results this year, they WILL be a powerhouse in 3 - 5 years time from now.

They couldn't have selected more poorly in his case. You're building a new club from scratch, with very few senior players and a multitude of impressionable youth and you choose Brennan to be one of these few senior players. Bizarre decision. Nathan Krakeour wasn't much better - the guy runs around like a headless chicken and is one of their senior players.

I think few of there "senior" players they got are questionable, and they certainly didn't get enough of them.

Bruce, Houli, Macdonald, Lockyer, Jack Anthony and Hahn are 6 players that would of cost them naught and made them more competitive on top of what they have.

Even if Bruce, Hahn, Lockyer and Macdonald are a 1 -3 year stop gap it would of allowed players more pre seasons before stepping in to AFL all at once, and would be more competitive not destroying some players.

I think they are a little bit light on for experience, but you don't want too many old blokes clogging up the list - particularly with the talent they had to choose from.

Already this round they've shown a lot of improvement. They are very patchy however. Their gameplan will eventually click when they get used to playing on the same team as each other and as the kids pick up the pace of the game.

I'm guessing they might try to snare one or two good, mid-range players at the end of the year and stock up on some more youth. Regardless of their results this year, they WILL be a powerhouse in 3 - 5 years time from now.

16 AFL players out 48 would not be "list" clogging.

How many of there bottom 16 rookies will become good players?
Most will get cut, so why not get senior players to help develope the team and protect the main list.

16 AFL players out 48 would not be "list" clogging.

How many of there bottom 16 rookies will become good players?
Most will get cut, so why not get senior players to help develope the team and protect the main list.

How about you think about player payments?

How much more would an additional 8 experienced AFL seniors cost per year compared to 8 rookies? How then would that impact on the rest of the team?

Please, please think about the whole before posting Nostradamous. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of their results this year, they WILL be a powerhouse in 3 - 5 years time from now.

Will this be before or after all the clubs decide to raid their players?

This is nothing. Wait until clubs exert some revenge and payback by targetting their youth because they'll be homesick and sick and tired of being at bottom of the barrel being smacked weekly.

They are going to have a serious fight on their hands to keep their players. Imagine 1 highly rated player being targetted by each club. Imagine the of playing for Collingwood or Carlton or Essendon if you are a Victorian lad in front of 70,80,90k fans almost weekly. Imagine the lure of going home and playing for Freo or WCE if you are a WA lad. They could decimate this list before it has even had the time to get going.

How about you think about player payments?

How much more would an additional 8 experienced AFL seniors cost per year compared to 8 rookies? How then would that impact on the rest of the team?

Please, please think about the whole before posting Nostradamous. :rolleyes:

How much do you think 1st and 2nd year players get paid?
How much extra TPP do they have?
How long do you think some of those "senior" players would be playing?

Most were delisted and the rest picked up in the PSD and not on huge contracts.

Maybe you should think things through before replying Gandhi:rolleyes:

First win will be against GWS.

They could have been competitive but they've shown a complete disrespect for experience in their recruiting. Its either run away ego or tanking.
Dont you think that's pretty systemic of modern day AFL culture anyway? All around here you see the attitude of, when it looks like any premiership window is closed, delist/trade off any older guys because they wont be around for any future premiership challenge.

Experience is hugely undervalued in the AFL in general (and in recent times across Australian sport).

Personally I think that the Gold Coast Suns and the Greater Western Giants are the best thing the AFL has done for a loooong time.

But I have to concede that the recruitment and coaching staff at the Suns have screwed up in their team selections. It's not the AFL's fault the Suns chose the wrong players to poach, or not enough of them.

But at the same time it's not all doom and gloom. For most of the afternoon the Suns looked as if they'd only lose by 50-odd points, which would have been an improvement on their previous outings. And that size loss without GAblett and Brown - their two real on-field leaders - is pretty respectable. And IMHO poor coaching cost the Suns even further by Bluey's choice to use Fraser in the ruck, instead of as a permanent forward.

Anyway I still believe they'll get it together and win a game or two this year.

BTW I want to add Travis Johnstone to the list of experienced players they could've added to their list for nothing

$$$$

At least its not an abortion or a still birth club

We're just watching this monstrosity stink up the standard of the competition

Personally I think that the Gold Coast Suns and the Greater Western Giants are the best thing the AFL has done for a loooong time.

But I have to concede that the recruitment and coaching staff at the Suns have screwed up in their team selections. It's not the AFL's fault the Suns chose the wrong players to poach, or not enough of them.

But at the same time it's not all doom and gloom. For most of the afternoon the Suns looked as if they'd only lose by 50-odd points, which would have been an improvement on their previous outings. And that size loss without GAblett and Brown - their two real on-field leaders - is pretty respectable. And IMHO poor coaching cost the Suns even further by Bluey's choice to use Fraser in the ruck, instead of as a permanent forward.

Anyway I still believe they'll get it together and win a game or two this year.

BTW I want to add Travis Johnstone to the list of experienced players they could've added to their list for nothing

The problem with recruiting experienced guys is that there is only so much money to go around. Even if you're bringing in a Travis Johnstone, he's not going to come dirt cheap. They are in the position where they have to overpay guys to get them to play there, hence part of the reason they have more salary cap space, so there are only so many they can take while having a list the size they do.

Did they get the wrong ones? You compare the recruits they got from other clubs to the other expansion teams when they entered the comp and GC's stacks up against any of them.

The problem thus far with the experienced guys they've picked up has been their attitude. As far as i've seen thus far, Rischitelli is the only one that seems to be consistently trying to earn his pay check. The rest need to pull their fingers out.

The Suns are doing the right thing, going with more kids though. Considering they still have some prime draft picks up their sleeves, and will no doubt get more should any of their kids want out in a couple of years, they can just bring them through and skim off the cream for 2 or 3 years. Once these kids have the stronger bodies and more games under the belt, they are going to be a formidable side.

So what if they get flogged week in week out for a couple of years? The Bears and their motley crew of journeymen might have won their first two games in the comp, but they spent the best part of the next 8 seasons being the leagues whipping boys. It wasn't till the AFL helped them add a few extra talented kids via the draft that they emerged as a top 4 side within a couple of years.

Even though the Suns are getting pumped right now, it's pretty clear they've got at least a half dozen young guys who should go on to big things in this comp. With a bit more list pruning, trading and drafting they will have a strong side in 2014. They have plenty of picks and players to play around with too.

But for 2011? They will improve as the year goes on make no mistake.

I think their biggest mistake was not going after more mature age players out of the VFL, SANFL & WAFL. I can't remember how many they were able to list (before the draft), but it was a lot more than they did. They would have been much better served listing players such as Curnow and Duigan that Carlton drafted than they would going after Krakouer, and it would have cost them less money.

Remove this Banner Ad

GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back