Geelong – most loved to most disliked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does this a lot:

I've seen him do it on at least a dozen occasions, and I rarely watch the Hawks. I guess he gets a pass because he's such a good bloke.

That was poor and not a free kick - I haven't seen him do it a dozen times but that's because I wear brown and gold glasses similar to the blue and white ones you wear and that has nothing to do with what romeoh was talking about

Hodge is a 'protected' player re the media because, quite rightly, everyone loves him and regards him as a warrior, he stands up when its time, he is a top bloke and top leader etc. And he is all those things. I like him myself. But he never misses sinking an elbow or two into our team, always off the ball. Have no doubt he does it to others teams too. Crikey -he can even do it in full view and put someone out for weeks and its regarded as 'part of the game'. Except if its a Zeibell or Fyfe or someone else.;)
This whole Selwood ducking thing emanated from Dermie-its that simple and he has kept it up and people have jumped on board and run with it. Heard Dermie still going off on sen yesterday and he seemed surprised when Voss said he didn't have problem with Selwood. Derm doesn't even get that it is different from the Puopolo thing. He just doesn't like Geelong. And yep, I don't like Hawks. But am right re this issue Couchy!

What on earth did he do in full view or are we still referring to the Murphy incident
It's interesting because I always think the cats are masters at the little extras when packs form, like dropping the knees in, pushing the head into the dirt etc. or niggles off the ball - we see what we want to see I think. No doubt pictures will get dragged out showing hawk players doing the same thing - but that's my point, none of us like admitting we all have players who do exactly the same thing and we just pretend not to see it.

Went to Salesian College in Sunbury. That's enough for me.
Very suspicious, just a few hours after you made this post mystery arsonists had a couple of goes at burning down Salesian. I hope you have an alibi!

What on earth did he do in full view or are we still referring to the Murphy incident
It's interesting because I always think the cats are masters at the little extras when packs form, like dropping the knees in, pushing the head into the dirt etc. or niggles off the ball - we see what we want to see I think. No doubt pictures will get dragged out showing hawk players doing the same thing - but that's my point, none of us like admitting we all have players who do exactly the same thing and we just pretend not to see it.
Good post. I remember around the time that Solomon elbowed Ling in the face, the likes of Mooney, Scarlett etc were just bashing our kids up. The likes of Hill who was a skinny 18yo at the time and Suban were getting their heads pushed into the ground, bumped off the play and generally being given a schooling which is fine, its what happens but was really got me was the commentators just talking all game about how great the cats are and how skillful and they just completely ignored the bashings that were going on. Then ever since Solomon decided to dish a bit back (albeit in an incredibly stupid and thuggish way) the narrative has become that Freo go the man when we play Geelong.
Scott has played this up masterfully in the media resulting in what we saw last week where Selwood and co were getting frees if a Freo player breathed on them.

Yep -if someone else had hit Murphy like that -they would have copped a suspension, or lots of angst on BF. My goodness, can you imagine if a Thomas or a Selwood or Crowley had done that. Whilst I accept it is 'part of the game', he knew exactly what he was doing and I suspect Roughhead would have gone for that-head is sacrosanct and all that. When Hodgey sooked to the umps about Gazza, it was an lol moment in the media and on BF-and fair enough. But again, same passmark for another player saying it do you think?
The rest of your post is irrelevant. And incorrect in any case. Every team does stuff like that. Has to be some balance.

Good post. I remember around the time that Solomon elbowed Ling in the face, the likes of Mooney, Scarlett etc were just bashing our kids up. The likes of Hill who was a skinny 18yo at the time and Suban were getting their heads pushed into the ground, bumped off the play and generally being given a schooling which is fine, its what happens but was really got me was the commentators just talking all game about how great the cats are and how skillful and they just completely ignored the bashings that were going on. Then ever since Solomon decided to dish a bit back (albeit in an incredibly stupid and thuggish way) the narrative has become that Freo go the man when we play Geelong.
Scott has played this up masterfully in the media resulting in what we saw last week where Selwood and co were getting frees if a Freo player breathed on them.
lol this one is simple-Solomon was a sniper who did a low act to Ling.

lol this one is simple-Solomon was a sniper who did a low act to Ling.
Which in your simplistic opinion excuses all the thuggish things that your players do for now and every more. which is precisely my point and what the poster I as quoting said. We excuse our own players and sometimes don't even see the things they do.
You probably think Milburn was a bit of a hard man but a fair player overall yet you write off Solomon.
We are biased in favour of our own.

Which in your simplistic opinion excuses all the thuggish things that your players do for now and every more. which is precisely my point and what the poster I as quoting said. We excuse our own players and sometimes don't even see the things they do.
You probably think Milburn was a bit of a hard man but a fair player overall yet you write off Solomon.
We are biased in favour of our own.
Of course we are biased in favour of our own but to justify Solomon's act by blaming it on those mean old Geelong players beating up on little Freo babes-well its a bit of a stretch isn't it. Solomon was a thug. Mooney was a bit of a thug. Scarlett gave as good as he got. Who else from Geelong in recent years? Can't think.
All teams push and shove. Geelong no more than most and certainly less than Freo who use it as a modus operandi ( and the free kick stats for Freo and Geelong bear that out).
The Geelong hysteria on this board is over the top and to a large degree not warranted.
Yep Silvagni should never have pushed his head into poor old Milburn.;) But top effort to bring that into this thread.

Of course we are biased in favour of our own but to justify Solomon's act by blaming it on those mean old Geelong players beating up on little Freo babes-well its a bit of a stretch isn't it. Solomon was a thug. Mooney was a bit of a thug. Scarlett gave as good as he got. Who else from Geelong in recent years? Can't think.
All teams push and shove. Geelong no more than most and certainly less than Freo who use it as a modus operandi ( and the free kick stats for Freo and Geelong bear that out).
The Geelong hysteria on this board is over the top and to a large degree not warranted.
Yep Silvagni should never have pushed his head into poor old Milburn.;) But top effort to bring that into this thread.
My point was (in relation to the bolded) that once we get a narrative established things play out that way and people notice it more.
Everyone has the perception now that Selwood, Stokes, Bartel stage for free kicks so they get noticed now but everyone and even commentators make ironic remarks when Selwood gets a high contact free whether he deserves it or not. The narrative has been set and I bet Geelong fans hate it that their Captain who is a tough, skilful player has been labelled for all time as a stager.
Its no more or less true than this idea that Freo go the knuckle against Geelong. From my perspective its ridiculous, I just don't see it but again, that is the script we all play to now.
You say Geelong get more frees because Freo are going the biff, I say because of one stupid thing by Solomon years ago Freo are discriminated against by the umpires when we play Geelong. I find this all the more frustrating because, as I said, the only reason Solomon flew the flag in the first place was because of the treatment being dished out by a team of grown men against kids. I hated what he did but I loved that someone stood up to Geelong that day.

My point was (in relation to the bolded) that once we get a narrative established things play out that way and people notice it more.
Everyone has the perception now that Selwood, Stokes, Bartel stage for free kicks so they get noticed now but everyone and even commentators make ironic remarks when Selwood gets a high contact free whether he deserves it or not. The narrative has been set and I bet Geelong fans hate it that their Captain who is a tough, skilful player has been labelled for all time as a stager.
Its no more or less true than this idea that Freo go the knuckle against Geelong. From my perspective its ridiculous, I just don't see it but again, that is the script we all play to now.
You say Geelong get more frees because Freo are going the biff, I say because of one stupid thing by Solomon years ago Freo are discriminated against by the umpires when we play Geelong. I find this all the more frustrating because, as I said, the only reason Solomon flew the flag in the first place was because of the treatment being dished out by a team of grown men against kids. I hated what he did but I loved that someone stood up to Geelong that day.
Ok that all sounds by and large fair enough.( although don't think Freo go the biff so much as a lot of niggling, pushing, shoving against Geelong-and possibly others but don't see your team enough). But ok can see your point re Solomon.
Not Stokes. Bundy you mean.

Exactly E Shed - we had stokes try to tap hodges ribs in the gf in 08 - that's fine he was out there. We had Kelly try to intimidate hill in last years PF - came undone, the young bloke stood his ground and it cost Kelly a 50
We see what we want to see, that is it seems unless you support Geelong and they don't do any of that crap apparently

No, I teach high school, not grade one.

I teach kids how to write paragraphs in English.

That's where we learn to string individual sentences, such as this one and others like it, together.

As well as having earned our pen licences, we sometimes get called really cool names, like Block Writing Man.

When you finish high school, maybe you can write and understand paragraphs too.

People who write big paragraphs have big penises.

I hate the Cats.

Well ....

If you are a High School Teacher, then I'm thinking that that may be a poor reflection on our education system. But then that would be "poor form" wouldn't it ?

Good luck in your chosen career.

I hope that my 2 children learn to string sentences together better than you. I think the one in grade 2 does.

You write big paragraphs and probably have a small penis.

The only incident I recall any Cat fans complaining about was the mark (not paid) to Colbert with a minute left before the final siren, which incidentally the umpire the following day publicly apologised to Colbert and the GFC for what he acknowledged was a wrong decision.
Maybe a minute left before the siren to end the third quarter. Get on youtube and watch the incident, then get onto AFL tables and look at the scores. The score for Adelaide when Colbert took the mark was 49, and their three quarter time score was 7.8 (50)...

Sorry to let the proven and previously stated facts wreck a good urban legend...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well ....

If you are a High School Teacher, then I'm thinking that that may be a poor reflection on our education system. But then that would be "poor form" wouldn't it ?

I hope that my 2 children learn to string sentences together better than you. I think the one in grade 2 does.

It's usually parenting that f###s things up before I can help the kids get over the line. I hope your kids don't have to experience that.

You seem good at explaining free kicks, can you explain some of the one's in the link below, i have plenty more if you feel up to it.

Right. So you equate a clear explanation of the two incidents, based upon scrutinising the videos with repeated viewing and the benefit of replays from multiple angles, to an apparent attempt to discredit the Geelong Football Club. Your response is to post a video created by a disgruntled Crow supporter of an irrelevant match, using footage shot from the Hubble Space Telescope and featuring no replays...

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my knowledge of the rules and my eyesight. However, I'm just putting it out there. If you don't agree, the correct response is to higlight the bit of the rule I got wrong relating to this particular incident, if that happened at all...

(puts hand up to ear, hears a lot of crickets, checks he's not posting on the Cat's forum where he is obliged to kiss their arses, scratches own enormous schlong, highlights all text and then goes back to looking for Crayon Font button...wherever the hell that is...)...

Well ....

Seriously?

OMG bit early for drinking

...Second one - this is the same argument Cats fans have been trotting out since the 1997 semi v Adelaide, where many screamed highway robbery for an incident that happened, believe it or not, in the third quarter which they claimed cost them the game...
Perhaps you were correct about the time of the incident, however since I have not seen it nor heard any Cat fan "trot" about it in nearly twenty years it seems more important to your view of the world than it does to we Geelong fans.

Going back to the original post I've still got love for the Cats. Would love to see them play off in another GF this year but on current form I'm not sure they'd make it

I honestly don't know why... Geelong were my second favourite team. But the upright arrogance of the supporters and the football club has made me hate them so much. I respect their achievements, they are a super football team and have been for a long time. But to say that they are the optimum in terms of football and sportsmanship makes me want to spew up. Geelong isn't perfect, no team is. I f#cking hate the disrespect many get served by Geelong, the club and their fans. Of course, it's many a minority, every supporters have them.... But if it was everyone equal, than why am I noticing one particular team more?? It's interesting because I respect Hawthorn so much more, and like them much more, yet was at the ground when we got done by them in a grand final. Geelong on the other hand....

Hey were 2nd on the ladder :D
I'm loving this fall we're mean't to have

Forget the ladder position for a minute. Your coming off a close win to Carlton. A top 2 side shouldn't have get out of jail wins like that.

FWIW I think you'll stay second to and play a home QF against Hawthorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back