List Mgmt. Geelong at the 2012 AFL National Draft (selections Nos. 16, 77 and 92)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jake stringer.

Need to get this kid, I doubt he will fall to our first pick but miracles can happen.

This kid will be the best player of this draft IMO. For those who disagree, please see his draft video on the adl website.

And yes I know he broke his leg, but his final games of the year he was back to his unstoppable best.

Imagine a midfield consisting of selwood, caddy, jake stringer, Christensen, Duncan smedts varcoe. Wow.

All I can say is we want to build a midfield like we had. In the end midfields win games IMO. If they dominate the backline has an easier time of it and the forward line gets more entries to capitilise on.

Even with Caddy - we will need another decent mid IMO. I have no idea who is good and who is not in the ND - but if we secure a tough, hard running, tackling mid like JC - I think we will be a serious force to contend with for years to come.

With Caddy we have upped our midfield strength - with one other good mid we will be back to the good old days (minus Ablett and Scarlett - who are irreplaceable players IMO).

What will be different is we will have a quicker side - and that excites me as well.

Thanks Mrs Simpson :D ( welcome to the board....want to expand on him a little? )
A cousin of mine taught him at school in Adelaide, he was on some sort of scholarship(footy).
Told me about him last year, said this kid was special... not just superbly athletically, but amongst the kids... He was a standout individual amongst his peers... I just remember his name, and watched out for him during the year... He has plenty of ability.... I think would be perfect for Geelong.

Dare say he will go in the top 10 so not much chance of him slipping through. Melbourne, Dogs, Port, St Kilda and Carlton all have picks before us and have key back roles which need filling.

Plowman will definitely be gone by our pick. I think it would be a good idea to get a KPD with our first pick though, with Lonergan aging, Scarlett gone and the potential exit of Brown (who will only ever be a third tall down back anyway).

I'd be very happy snaring Kristian Jaksch:

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2012/10/kristian-jaksch-2012-afl-draft-prospect/

Lets Hope that we Get a player as Talented and gutsy as The one in this Draft Video

Pick 7 2006 - Joel Selwood

I always LOL when I watch this and watch Hawthorn Select Mitchell Thorp

Jake stringer.

Need to get this kid, I doubt he will fall to our first pick but miracles can happen.

This kid will be the best player of this draft IMO. For those who disagree, please see his draft video on the adl website.

And yes I know he broke his leg, but his final games of the year he was back to his unstoppable best.

Imagine a midfield consisting of selwood, caddy, jake stringer, Christensen, Duncan smedts varcoe. Wow.

Looks a very solid boy!! Has similar rounded shoulders like the Great Yabletttt!!! Wonder if he will last to our pick. Does he have any speed at all because the frame is already there.

I had to double check the date of this thread as we keep talking about taking Stringer & Menzel & Garlett & Lonergan.

Broomhead sounds perfect for that sweeper role.

Tish, boom boom!

I'm interested that a few have brought up Garlett's name, I've seen a fair bit of him this year as he plays for my WAFL club. There is little doubt in my mind that he *could* be in the best couple of players drafted this year - he's strong, quick, evasive, good tackler, pretty good kick (regularly kicks goals from around 50 on the run), and reasonably capable overhead. He is probably a bit different to Cyril and Jetta - who he has been compared to - in that he appears a better inside player than both of them, but he has a touch of Jetta in his run and long kicking, and also a bit of Cyril in that he is quick in close and provides good defensive pressure. He can go missing at times - he is obviously young - but he is a match winner, when he is on he can turn a game on its head in short time - much like Ronnie used to :)... In terms of his development, I would say he is more advanced than Michael Walters at the same age, possibly on par with Chris Yarran. Given Yarran took a year to make seniors at Carlton, I'd probably expect a year in the seconds. He plays alongside Marlon Motlop who was obviously discarded from Port, Garlett is the better player already despite the age gap. And that is a big tick - any 18 year old who can win games off his own boot in the WAFL seniors has some talent.

If the Cats pick him at 15, I'd certainly be pretty rapt, but personally I think our pick would better spent on a strong bodied mid in terms of our current needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm interested that a few have brought up Garlett's name, I've seen a fair bit of him this year as he plays for my WAFL club. There is little doubt in my mind that he *could* be in the best couple of players drafted this year - he's strong, quick, evasive, good tackler, pretty good kick (regularly kicks goals from around 50 on the run), and reasonably capable overhead. He is probably a bit different to Cyril and Jetta - who he has been compared to - in that he appears a better inside player than both of them, but he has a touch of Jetta in his run and long kicking, and also a bit of Cyril in that he is quick in close and provides good defensive pressure. He can go missing at times - he is obviously young - but he is a match winner, when he is on he can turn a game on its head in short time - much like Ronnie used to :)... In terms of his development, I would say he is more advanced than Michael Walters at the same age, possibly on par with Chris Yarran. Given Yarran took a year to make seniors at Carlton, I'd probably expect a year in the seconds. He plays alongside Marlon Motlop who was obviously discarded from Port, Garlett is the better player already despite the age gap. And that is a big tick - any 18 year old who can win games off his own boot in the WAFL seniors has some talent.

If the Cats pick him at 15, I'd certainly be pretty rapt, but personally I think our pick would better spent on a strong bodied mid in terms of our current needs.

From afar he reminds me more of a young Daniel Kerr. Is that a fair comparison?

In regards to the Caddy deal and what may potentially happen to our pick 15 (being traded for two mid 20 picks) I was just wondering what peoples opinions were. This was mine.

I wouldn't be fussed with trading 15 for two mid 20 picks. The first 5-10 picks look pretty good but will go. From 10-30 there are plenty of good mids to pick from in this deep draft that don't differentiate a lot in quality. Also we must keep in mind Wells probably has potentials in mind that he thinks will be available if this is the avenue he chooses to go through.

The only down side in losing pick 15 for two later ones IMO is we could miss out on a gun like Stringer or Menzel2 if they slip through the draft order. But that's a big if as they are still both likely to be snapped up before we get a sniff.

Jmac2225, I wouldn't be surprised if Geelong is looking at using pick 15 to get 2 later picks as Geelong would back Wells and his team in to find a player.

Also, this year might be a bit different in that Geelong may effectively view Caddy as an more developed draftee. After all, he is only 2 years removed from his draft year and he just turned 20.

As such, Geelong might consider they have their first round selection this year in Caddy and now want to get picks to use in possible trades while still maintaining a reasonably high draft position (i.e. in the 20s).

It is cliché but the club knows a lot better than we do when it comes to stuff like this.

From afar he reminds me more of a young Daniel Kerr. Is that a fair comparison?
Yeah, I hadn't really considered Kerr - I always find it difficult to compare players... I would think (and I haven't seen any stats to back this up) that Garlett would be considerably quicker than Kerr, and certainly more agile. Kerr I would say is a far better inside player than Garlett, but it is a difficult comparison as Kerr has been in the system a long time and has a lot more strength in the tackle. Garlett is not bad inside, but I remember Kerr always being on the bottom of packs even as a youngster. The obvious comparison, with Jetta and Rioli, is based on the fact that he is very quick, not just in a straight line but he has quick hands and is very agile in heavy traffic. But I don't think he'll end up like these guys at AFL level, he'll certainly start off at half forward, but whichever team drafts him would be hoping to build his stamina and use him as a permanent onballer - the big question is whether he ever develops the tank to do it. If he can, he could become a Kerr or Cooney type of player, albeit a very quick one...

Yeah, I hadn't really considered Kerr - I always find it difficult to compare players... I would think (and I haven't seen any stats to back this up) that Garlett would be considerably quicker than Kerr, and certainly more agile. Kerr I would say is a far better inside player than Garlett, but it is a difficult comparison as Kerr has been in the system a long time and has a lot more strength in the tackle. Garlett is not bad inside, but I remember Kerr always being on the bottom of packs even as a youngster. The obvious comparison, with Jetta and Rioli, is based on the fact that he is very quick, not just in a straight line but he has quick hands and is very agile in heavy traffic. But I don't think he'll end up like these guys at AFL level, he'll certainly start off at half forward, but whichever team drafts him would be hoping to build his stamina and use him as a permanent onballer - the big question is whether he ever develops the tank to do it. If he can, he could become a Kerr or Cooney type of player, albeit a very quick one...

If I were to give an aboriginal comparison it'd be Daniel Wells but I reckon if he gets the tank you suggest he'll be a shorter Andrew Embley with Mackie footskills and decision making. Lots of talent but not what we need.

In regards to the Caddy deal and what may potentially happen to our pick 15 (being traded for two mid 20 picks) I was just wondering what peoples opinions were. This was mine.

It depends on what happens in the draft but I'd prefer the one pick. We need quality, we've got quantity in terms of AFL standard young players.

Jmac2225, I wouldn't be surprised if Geelong is looking at using pick 15 to get 2 later picks as Geelong would back Wells and his team in to find a player.

Pivo, how can the club do this when we already have a list squeeze?
We would have to chop an extra player from the list to accommodate a move like that. Wouldn't we?

We would have to chop an extra player from the list to accommodate a move like that. Wouldn't we?
They'd perhaps entertain it if they were looking to on-trade one of the lower picks to facilitate a move (i.e. McIntosh).

I don't think they will but, on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Without knowing all the machinations you just never know what the plan is.

This McIntosh deal seems to be taking it's time which suggests there are a few moving pieces.

We have to draft two players one way or another - AFL requires you to use three draft picks as a minimum, one of which can be a rookie upgrade (ie Stringer). As it stands we have the space for that, even if we sign Rivers and McIntosh (assuming both Gillies and Stephenson are delisted). If we trade out #36 for McIntosh as expected we'd draft at 15 and 55. Gold Coast have 25 and 44, so we'd trade 15 for 25 and 44. As Piv said we've done it before (2009 and 2011) although equally we traded up in 2010 for Pick 15.

We have to draft two players one way or another - AFL requires you to use three draft picks as a minimum, one of which can be a rookie upgrade (ie Stringer). As it stands we have the space for that, even if we sign Rivers and McIntosh (assuming both Gillies and Stephenson are delisted). If we trade out #36 for McIntosh as expected we'd draft at 15 and 55. Gold Coast have 25 and 44, so we'd trade 15 for 25 and 44. As Piv said we've done it before (2009 and 2011) although equally we traded up in 2010 for Pick 15.

You can have two rookie upgrades/zone selections or equivalent, meaning you only have one live pick as GC did last year.

If we trade out all our other moving pieces in deals like McIntosh, wouldn't surprise me if we only took one pick at the draft. Might depend on what we get back from GC and also whether someone like Brown moves, as if we get a pick for him we will definitely want to use it.

I would prefer picks 15 and 55 to say picks 25 and 44.

Pick 15 could be really good this year - Menzel or the Vlatusin (V something).

Looking at our list we have a heap of young kids that could be AFL players - so we are a gun mid with pick 15 - or a gun player at any rate.

Next year we lose Corey and probably Chappy and a year later Enright. So we will have player by then coming thru from the VFL to take theor positions. And 2 more ND's or trading periods to get new kids or players.

Getting pick 44 over 55 seems not that good if you have to give up pick 15 for mid 20's pick to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back