Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Only early days, and let's be frank - apart from maybe Brisbane who look a shell of their early 20s form, they haven't played any big guns yet this season. Need to evaluate once they've met Greater Western Sydney, Sydney, Collingwood, Carlton, etc.

Still, shouldn't take anything away from the phenomenal competitiveness of Geelong since 2004. It's kind of Melbourne Storm-esque in how they've been able to continue to be a team thereabouts for so long, and win several premierships along the way. Storm had a couple crossed out though, and they have had 2 consistent figures at the club in Bellamy (Head Coach) since 2003 and Ponissi (GM Football) since 2007. The change from Bomber Thompson to Chris Scott was seamless, at the right time, and the latter has been able to regenerate the club time and again.

What you say is partially true mcgarnacle: but I'll put it to you that GWS, Sydney, Collingwood, Carlton, etc need to evaluate themselves once they have played the likes of Geelong and at present I don't think for a moment Sydney is any better side than Geelong, so they themselves will have alot to prove. Also the Brisbane Lions win at the MCG against the Demons the week prior to Geelong comfortably beating them in the wet last weekend was one of their 'very best away wins EVER' since Chris Fagan took over the reins and to be sure it was their 'best-ever non finals win at the MCG' especially with their backs to the wall and Chris Fagan said as much at press conference after the Demons game.

He seriously couldn't wipe the smile off his face, it's the happiest I've ever seen him as he truly thought the club had turned the corner in a big way but alas a determined and committed Geelong came out and beat them. Still reckon the Brisbane Lions are going to win a lot more games than they lose for the rest of the year and good luck to any clubs that still are required to play them up at the Gabba this season.

Last edited:
It’s round 7 though, I’d rather my club be unconvincing now then later in the season. Flags aren’t won in April
OK cool
My post is about what's happened so far not what may or may not happen in the future.
Just pointing out it's odd to label Carlton a benchmark and not Geelong when Carlton could easily be 2-4 right now.

Yes Geelong have a demographic area advantage. Lucky for them Stewart (may have) wanted the farm life, so I wouldn’t say it was a completely genius move on their part of this is true.

Was true with Cameron though.

?????

There are 5 million people in Melbourne.

How many people do you think want to live there, or already do and want to stay there?

If the Geelong area was such an advantage there would be 5 million people wanting to live there instead

It is an advantage for SOME. There will always be SOME players who want to live in that sort of place. Country boys etc or people who have simply had enough of the city.

For every one of them there will be half a dozen that are from the city and don’t want to leave Melbourne or whatever city they are from

?????

There are 5 million people in Melbourne.

How many people do you think want to live there, or already do and want to stay there?

If the Geelong area was such an advantage there would be 5 million people wanting to live there instead

It is an advantage for SOME. There will always be SOME players who want to live in that sort of place. Country boys etc or people who have simply had enough of the city.

For every one of them there will be half a dozen that are from the city and don’t want to leave Melbourne or whatever city they are from

Different between clubs like Richmond/Pies and Geelong is that we don’t offer anything unique in the area.

Geelong is the only club that can offer a farm lifestyle or whatever you want to call it. That’s why you have the advantage. You’ve got a monopoly on it so players are happy to get paid unders to go there.

Different between clubs like Richmond/Pies and Geelong is that we don’t offer anything unique in the area.

Geelong is the only club that can offer a farm lifestyle or whatever you want to call it. That’s why you have the advantage. You’ve got a monopoly on it so players are happy to get paid unders to go there.

No it isnt. GWS is literally bordering the country. It’s unique in that it borders the surf and the coast but GWS is unique in that it borders a city, the country, and the Blue Mountains. Gold Coast is unique again.

How many more excuses or caveats do you want to try and make mate for a club simply being decent at finding and fostering talent?

Accept it and move on.

I don’t get why people do this. People have shots at the northern clubs for academies or at the other states for….. being in other states. At the big clubs for being big clubs. Who cares.

Don’t sell yourself short Falcon. You’ve got those injecting rooms for a start.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one. Geelong are and have been exceptional at developing footballers for a long time now. 'Oh but you traded in player X' and 'player Y was actually 21 when you drafted him' is just nitpicking in the face of overwhelming evidence.

No it isnt. GWS is literally bordering the country. It’s unique in that it borders the surf and the coast but GWS is unique in that it borders a city, the country, and the Blue Mountains. Gold Coast is unique again.

How many more excuses or caveats do you want to try and make mate for a club simply being decent at finding and fostering talent?

Accept it and move on.

I don’t get why people do this. People have shots at the northern clubs for academies or at the other states for….. being in other states. At the big clubs for being big clubs. Who cares.

Is there something that you think Geelong has a “unfair/structural” advantage in just curious? You swat away everything like it’s nothing. I’m not even that hardcore about Richmond.

Your flags are legit, but so are your advantages. Like your location, ground and f/s picks.

If you really don’t care you’d accept it and move on. Every other supporter base knows these advantages, hence the countless threads on big footy made about them. You being defensive makes me think deep down you know as well.

Is there something that you think Geelong has a “unfair/structural” advantage in just curious? You swat away everything like it’s nothing. I’m not even that hardcore about Richmond.

Your flags are legit, but so are your advantages. Like your location, ground and f/s picks.

If you really don’t care you’d accept it and move on. Every other supporter base knows these advantages, hence the countless threads on big footy made about them. You being defensive makes me think deep down you know as well.

No. Why would I. Every team has access to all those things. That you can’t see this, is another demonstration of your inability to see things from any perspective or relativity but your own.

We don’t have access to Perth. Ergo if we want to pick someone with an attachment to Perth, we can’t attract them, can we, genius.

How do you not work this out.

Yes, if someone is attracted to the specifics of the exact lifestyle of the exact things Geelong specifically offers, it is an advantage. What about all the players who DONT want those things.

Have you not stopped to think that the people who specifically want EXACTLY what Geelong’s geography offers is in the minority? Therefore it probably isn’t an ‘unfair’ advantage?

It only becomes an advantage to us, if we are negotiating with a player who wants those specific things, and the other team can’t offer them.

How don’t you understand this.

We can’t offer 20-25 year olds a Gold Coast lifestyle.

Do you not think that is a disadvantage sometimes?

We can’t offer them a big city life. Do you not think that sometimes disadvantages us?

Do you not think every other club in history has had access to father son picks? You’ve had just as many as us.

That we got good ones is absolutely immaterial. The fact that yours were shit is not our fault. The rule applies to everyone and always has, so have the changes.

That’s not fairness mate. That’s just good or bad luck.

Stiff.

F**king.

Shit.

Sorry the Bowden brothers weren’t generational players.

OK cool
My post is about what's happened so far not what may or may not happen in the future.
Just pointing out it's odd to label Carlton a benchmark and not Geelong when Carlton could easily be 2-4 right now.
We're 5-1 and 17 out of our last 20, we haven't done much wrong

Yeah I brought up the bounce back factor after missing finals and having a big pre-season (Scarlett made a similar prediction On The Couch prior to season 2013). And that it's rare to have two seasons in a row destroyed by injuries. Scott also tends to problem solve season to season.

As expected these ideas were mocked.

The lid is firmly on but the idea that Geelong was in free fall and destined for bottom 4 in 2024 seemed fanciful.
The problem solving season to season thing never ceases to amaze me.

Bunch of untried kids in the backline 2018? Let's just use our mids, who can win most contests to play slowly and prevent turnover. Play extra defensive mods forward of the ball. Got us into a few losing prelims buuuuuut...

That bunched up players in the forward line and now we can't find space in f50, what now? OK, send to Hawkins who is being double teamed but can still ruck tap it. Have GAJ play stoppage mid at his feet. GAJ lacking burst pace? Grab that Akins kid from the 2s to block for him. Got us into a granny but we lost.

Ok now our mids are getting old and aren't impacting for long enough. Ok so bring in kids and rotate them off the bench with no one having high ToG%. Everyone is an impact player through the middle. Win a premiership.

Have a year following the premiership where we cop massive injury numbers? OK let's change the regime to 2 more intense training sessions a week and more recovery time. Fewest injuries I think we've ever had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some topical related excerpts:

Even when the Cats finished 12th last season with only 10-and-a-half wins, they weren't too far off the pace. None of their 12 defeats were by any more than 38 points, and only two were by more than 29 points. Yet, like a lot of my peers, I couldn't find a spot for them in my predicted top eight, settling on ninth. That already looks like a significant underestimation.

There are so many impressive aspects to the operation that is the Geelong Football Club, but is there any more outstanding than its junior development? It's been the key to keeping the Cats both consistently competitive yet capable simultaneously of regeneration.

And we won't see many better examples of it at work than in Saturday night's win over Brisbane in the wet.

The keys to this Geelong performance were the likes of Max Holmes, Zach Guthrie, Tanner Bruhn, Tyson Stengle, Jack Bowes, Gryan Miers and Brandan Parfitt. That collection of names have arrived at Kardinia Park via a variety of sources, some trade-ins, some early draft picks, some not so.

But the common denominator is all are now significantly better and more consistent players than when they arrived at the club.

Who realistically would have believed Stengle could ever deliver consistently the form of which he was capable after his experiences at Richmond and Adelaide, let alone earn All-Australian selection and be such an important part of a premiership?

How many clubs might have run out of patience with Cam Guthrie's less-heralded younger brother, now also a premiership player and a fourth-place getter in a best and fairest? Or Parfitt, who like Guthrie, is now in his eighth season of senior football?

Geelong shows more faith in its list than most, and why not? The consistency with which the Cats get it right not just picking the right talent, but getting it to eventually deliver the best it possibly can, means their system will prevail far more often than not.
I have to say this is the most delicious bathwater I think I've ever had

the irony of this thread is that geelong have and will continue to develop young players, but what works best for them is that the youth get to play, train and work alongside genuine stars of the game (in the past and now) which will give them a proper and good mindspace to grow and improve their football skills.
I think it's under rated that kids Geelong recruit have a large number of on-field mentors but also, the develeopment coaches have to spend their time with probably half as many kids. It's effectively like having a larger soft cap when it comes to development

No. Why would I. Every team has access to all those things. That you can’t see this, is another demonstration of your inability to see things from any perspective or relativity but your own.

We don’t have access to Perth. Ergo if we want to pick someone with an attachment to Perth, we can’t attract them, can we, genius.

How do you not work this out.

Yes, if someone is attracted to the specifics of the exact lifestyle of the exact things Geelong specifically offers, it is an advantage. What about all the players who DONT want those things.

Have you not stopped to think that the people who specifically want EXACTLY what Geelong’s geography offers is in the minority? Therefore it probably isn’t an ‘unfair’ advantage?

It only becomes an advantage to us, if we are negotiating with a player who wants those specific things, and the other team can’t offer them.

How don’t you understand this.

We can’t offer 20-25 year olds a Gold Coast lifestyle.

Do you not think that is a disadvantage sometimes?

We can’t offer them a big city life. Do you not think that sometimes disadvantages us?

Do you not think every other club in history has had access to father son picks? You’ve had just as many as us.

That we got good ones is absolutely immaterial. The fact that yours were s**t is not our fault. The rule applies to everyone and always has, so have the changes.

That’s not fairness mate. That’s just good or bad luck.

Stiff.

F**king.

s**t.

Sorry the Bowden brothers weren’t generational players.

No you are right other clubs have their own ones. But they usually share the advantage with somebody else.

Sydney, GC, Lions, GWS have the beach or whatever.

All other vic clubs have the city life etc

It’s just Geelong with the Country lifestyle. It’s a monopoly, in real life Monopolies are illegal because they can dictate prices. This is exactly what you do with player salaries, they are all happy to take unders.

No you are right other clubs have their own ones. But they usually share the advantage with somebody else.

It’s just Geelong with the Country lifestyle. It’s a monopoly, in real life Monopolies are illegal.
I'm with you, let's ban beaches. I'm sick of that sand

It’s just Geelong with the Country lifestyle. It’s a monopoly, in real life Monopolies are illegal because they can dictate prices. This is exactly what you do with player salaries, they are all happy to take unders.

Yes they do share them with other clubs but they also share a much bigger ‘amount’ of what they’re offering.

Players at any decent club are happy to take unders. You said yourself players at Richmond were happy to do this and I don’t disagree.

Checks who was top of the ladder round 7 last year .... ah Collingwood

Fair call, except we beat multiple teams in our first 6 games who went on to play finals, all of them except for you and essendon made the 8. Not really the same as banking wins against Adelaide, norf and hawthorn, who are all in the bottom 4, and will likely stay there for majority of the season 🤷‍♂️

Houses are cheaper in Geelong then they are in Melbourne, of course they are happy to take less and be able to live on the coast, especially if they grew up there.

I understand what you mean, but I believe the impact has been overstated because they secured two genuine stars in Cameron & Danger who were seeking that Surf Coast/regional lifestyle.
They have their hand and they play it well, I'm sure both your club and mine also benefit from being able to sell the benefits of playing for a large Melbourne club too.

I understand what you mean, but I believe the impact has been overstated because they secured two genuine stars in Cameron & Danger who were seeking that Surf Coast/regional lifestyle.
They have their hand and they play it well, I'm sure both your club and mine also benefit from being able to sell the benefits of playing for a large Melbourne club too.

Yeah except ollie Henry literally left the biggest club in the land, and reigning premier to go back to Geelong, so not really. But go off bro

Yeah except ollie Henry literally left the biggest club in the land, and reigning premier to go back to Geelong, so not really. But go off bro

To play with his brother…… and THEY were the reigning premier, not Collingwood.

And there will be players who literally probably do not give a solitary f**k about playing in front of 80,000 people and will happily not care who Collingwood are. There will also be plenty that do and want a piece of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back