Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

In a night where we really didn’t have a poor player, I thought Ollie Henry had a very good game. I’ve been a bit critical of his hardness and selfishness. But last night he presented well and worked well with both Neale and Cameron as a third tall. He looked dangerous.
He had his offensive moment and contributed... but his man was taking intercept marks for fun.

What Zuthrie was doing for us... Bergman was doing the same for them.

In the end, I think Ollie lost his position and it was a game where not many cats lost anything.

Absolutely. I thought the same thing. I loved that he dropped something about Bowes coming to the Cats for less money but gets to play finals (hint hint anyone thinking of coming to us…). Very smart. If I’m a quality AFL player I’m definitely considering the Cats.

I also loved the way we respected the opposition to the end. Shows a strong culture. No showboating garbage like the Hawks. I couldn’t stand it if we did stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If you're a gun midfielder why wouldn't you consider the Cats?

All parts of the field are being regenerated. There's still the strong culture and leaders. Our mid 20s players are showing good signs they will keep the veteran standards fairly high.

Really we "just" need a gun midfielder or two, then someone to replace Cameron. If you might be one of those players, why not give the GFC a look?

He had his offensive moment and contributed... but his man was taking intercept marks for fun.

What Zuthrie was doing for us... Bergman was doing the same for them.

In the end, I think Ollie lost his position and it was a game where not many cats lost anything.

Bergman a pretty good play .
H needs to learn to bring the ball to ground sometimes..

Watching the replay - Jeremy Cameron is such an entertainer. His antics with the crowd... 10/10 trolling. Reminiscent of that insane boundary goal he kicked against the pies in '22.

If you're a gun midfielder why wouldn't you consider the Cats?

There is always the spectre of the mythical cliff.

Why go to Geelong now, they've got to fade away etc. I should go somewhere promising a future (Hawks, North maybe.. I dunno?)

There'd have to be a mental mind game say, in 2023, why would I want to go to the reigning premiers, chances are another flag is not on the table for some time..

Just laws of averages etc.

Not saying thats my opinion but some of that would come in to play with some players

As a fellow Cairns man (these days) I too have followed Bowes pretty closely (even when he was at the Suns).
Cairns Saints play just around the corner from us.

Bowes has been a big bonus for us, as you said he is looking more and more comfortable - his intensity really lifted in the last couple of games of 2023 and he's been solid for all of 2024. Love the tackling.
Always good to see Cairns kids make it so it's why I always watch him closely in his AFL games.

What do you do in Cairns?

First finals win from a premiership team from 2020-23. Go on with it now…. 2016 swans ambushed us after we won the QF against Isaac Hawks. Lions , swans or GWS ? Im
Thinking GWS can be exposed out the back the way they play. Swans might have 2022 MCG issues against us, maybe Bears also. Soak up the win today , then there will be another football story tonight and then Saturday.

Love his work. I wasn't entirely sure how he'd go when he came across. Thought he'd be solid or maybe a bit of a fringe player.

But he's blown past my expectations - I'm confident that when he has the ball he'll either do the right thing or he'll do something incredible that I didn't even think of doing.

That he came with Pick 7 mad everyone concentrate on the pick. And while Clark (who we got with 7) will probably come good, Bowes is great right here and now.

Has been a difference maker for the club but is in the shadows of Stengle, Humphries etc who have been elite pickups.

It's looking like a really good trade. I really hope he just continues to improve and do us Cairns folk proud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you so confident you will beat us this tine round? after all we have the best midfield in the comp, and the best backline over the last 8 weeks. Cameron has kicked 4 goals vs port last 3 games vs us, bergman has got the best of him in recent times. we will tag stewart aswell id imagine.

Backline looked woeful last night.
Other than Aliir, same old, same old for Port down back.

Cameron also should have slotted at least 5 goals.

Better luck next week mate.

Your "I give up. We are no chance." post before the game yesterday did seem out of character. Scott-coached sides are basically always a chance. Like you said, it was just a matter of putting 4 quarters together. Our best footy this year has taken it up to every single team (okay we never brought it against GC, but nothing counts in the NT).
It's such a simple equation for us, but footy is a fickle game.

We bring our pressure around the ball for 4 quarters and we win this flag in a canter.

Doing that ensures we're not smashed out of the midfield, and our transition game cuts teams to ribbons.

It's different to saying "Jezza has to kick 8 and we'll win" as sure it can happen, but you can't bank on it.

You SHOULD be able to bank on elite pressure and tenacity, that travels in finals.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way in this game even when it appears so simple.

Reminds me of that Freo vs Sydney final in 2013. It was all effort based, and you thought if they could just bring that for one more week then they'll smash the Hawks...but it wasn't to be.

It remains to be seen if we can do what we did last night for two more games, but if we can, premiership eleven from heaven awaits.

Or Mannagh from heaven, whatever other bad puns the media will have up their sleeve over the coming month.

LOL

I don't know what's funnier. Aldi $3.50 Shiraz that does the business, or Cats doin the business!

KILLEDMFARKN
No Aldi bottle shop in Armidale 😫
Need to drive 100km to Tamworth

Elite performance… back in the kids with speed and hunger . Shout out to Tanner Bruhn…. Thought his hunger and want was very evident! Small forwards and chaos . Speed to play on and hands were so quick tonight.
No eff off to cats fans for Kenny tonight!
Coach killer performance Kenny!
“Geelong's domination will stunt the AFL's growth long term”

IMG_0381.jpeg

A couple of thoughts on last night's game, now I've had a minute to come down (still on a bit of a high, honestly).
  • Game plan from Scotty was top notch, especially in attack. That quick, head height ball that came in so often, which was just tapped over the back of the contest to one of the smalls looping around the back, absolutely superb. Figured them out, smashed them.
  • Stewie comes back in next week, presumably for Mullin. If SDK comes back in, who does he replace? The defence mix last night was perfect.
  • Further to the above, I reckon Blitz's best spot at the moment is down back, and pinch-hitting in the ruck.
  • Small forwards were great - Miers, Mannagh, Stengle, and Closey. So dangerous.
  • Neale is playing amazing at the moment, pulled in some fanstastic marks, and fits into our system and structure beautifully. Hawkins isn't coming back, I reckon.
  • As has been said a million times, but can't be said enough, Humphries' disposal is beatiful, so calm and composed and pinpoints his kicks so well.
  • Props need to be given to our stalwarts down back, Kolo & Jenry. Solid.
  • Further, I'm falling more in love with Stanley as he reaches his twilight. We all know he's stuffed and done, but he's still out there competing and trying. Warrior for our club.
  • Bowes is growing on me, tries his heart out.
  • Atkins played really well last night, as with his usual effort, his composure & skill also shone last night.
  • Duncan can't run any more, but still gets it on his boot well enough. His last year, or one more?
  • Lastly, I'm starting to see glimpses of why the club rates Mullin so much. Composure & skill is growing, and he's got a bit of pace and grunt in the meantime.
I wont mention Danger, Cameron & Holmes, they don't need mentioning.

It's such a simple equation for us, but footy is a fickle game.

We bring our pressure around the ball for 4 quarters and we win this flag in a canter.

Doing that ensures we're not smashed out of the midfield, and our transition game cuts teams to ribbons.

It's different to saying "Jezza has to kick 8 and we'll win" as sure it can happen, but you can't bank on it.

You SHOULD be able to bank on elite pressure and tenacity, that travels in finals.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way in this game even when it appears so simple.

Reminds me of that Freo vs Sydney final in 2013. It was all effort based, and you thought if they could just bring that for one more week then they'll smash the Hawks...but it wasn't to be.

It remains to be seen if we can do what we did last night for two more games, but if we can, premiership eleven from heaven awaits.

Or Mannagh from heaven, whatever other bad puns the media will have up their sleeve over the coming month.

100% spot on I reckon.
The only way I think we get done is if an elite midfield that can run both ways, win it in tight and spread hard, gets on top of us and makes that facet of our game redundant and far harder for us to control.

First finals win from a premiership team from 2020-23. Go on with it now…. 2016 swans ambushed us after we won the QF against Isaac Hawks. Lions , swans or GWS ? Im
Thinking GWS can be exposed out the back the way they play. Swans might have 2022 MCG issues against us, maybe Bears also. Soak up the win today , then there will be another football story tonight and then Saturday.

Make no mistake, this group believes they can go all the way. The way we play is built for finals as shown in our last 4 finals games from 2022 to now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back