Review Geelong + Chris Scott make another Prelim at Ports expense

Remove this Banner Ad

Little respect will be paid to Port this week and I think that is a dangerous thing.

Conversely, I hope that Geelong don't get too confident either.

Yeah i mean the history isn't behind Port here...BUT

Ken seems to always pull some bullshit out of nowhere when his job is on the line and he's copping flak.
I imagine Port don't put in another pitiful performance at Home.

What they can't do is let Hawks have easy ground ball. Hawks are number 1 ground ball team in the comp (we are number 2)
Port need to overpower them out of the middle..
I expect JHF to have a big one, he looked pissed and tried his ass off when others had given up.
Port need to lower the eyes and hit targets going inside 50 not blaze away, if they do that Sicily will have a field day.

Hawks want chaos footy like the Cats do, Port is a control team (based on Champion Data statistics)
80% of Finals are played in chaos footy, they won't beat Hawks playing Hawks style, they need to go back to what worked for them.

If they can take the air out of the game and chip/mark it around then go when the corridor opens up it'll help massively.
I still have Hawks winning but it would be hilarious if Port won.

Greetings fellow Cat’s fans. Here’s my experiece from Thursday night, for those who might be interested, or can relate…

With a mixture of loosely held optimism and blind faith I decided to fly from NZ to see the game on Thursday. On the surface, surely a fool’s errand. My son had work, so I would be attending solo. And my last experiences at AO (both in 2017) are far from cherished memories.

I was buoyed by seeing the great man himself, Joel Selwood, on my connecting flight from Melbourne, but by the time I arrived at the hotel the Tom Stewart news had be wondering why I put myself through these things.

Nonetheless, I transformed myself from an average looking middle aged male to a resplendent human, full of both good taste and high intelligence, with the simple donning of a Cats cap, and the draping of a Geelong scarf around my neck. Chef’s kiss.

Out the window I saw a young family – Mum, Dad, and two daughters – walking along the footpath head to toe in blue and white, and I thought to myself, ‘at least there’s five of us.’

Out on the street I spotted more. Far more than I expected. Strangers swapped looks of recognition and appreciation to see were out in some kind of force in enemy territory. A kid of about twenty in a Geelong jumper gave me the thumbs up, a beaming smile, and directions to the ground. Thanks son.

As I stood in line for a beer a group of three Port supporters were harping on about their midfield. ‘Nah mate, our midfield will be too good.’ They almost sounded like they were trying convince themselves, I thought. Like they were the nervous ones.

I made my way up to Bay 332 and took my seat amongst a decent scattering of blue and white. The faithful. The crazy ones. The ones that could get two days off work.

Within 30 seconds I sensed something was up. Not something special, or as incredible as what transpired, but at least that we might throw a punch. A punch or two is all a fan can ask for, right?

However, the night turned into a collection of memories I will not soon forget. I spent as much of the game off my feet as I did with ass on my seat; my hands on my head in disbelief, as often as my fist was pumping holes in the Adelaide air.

As soon as the ball left Cameron’s foot the sound came from the Cats fan’s behind the goals telegraphing genius. Surely not, I thought, but the sound only got louder and louder until it was all around me.

I counted three contests in the first half that looked like a certain Port mark or F50 turnover, that Humphries sprinted to and turned into a stoppage, or a behind. Yes, he’s a stunning kick, yes he’s composed, but he knows his first job is to defend.

By quarter time, I was proud, but worried. Had we missed too many chances? But instantly, Max Holmes took Zac Butters on a run around the wing that was almost laughable. I laughed anyway.

We turned Port into what I’ve seen lesser Geelong sides become in high pressure finals of yesteryear. Lost and nervous. We sucked them of all confidence. By the end, we had a party. Dempsey took a speccy on the wing. Stengle stole the ball out of someone’s pocket. Mannagh dominated. Our defence was rock solid. Max Holmes took a run from full back and took four bounces. Oh, okay, is that what we’re doing now?

I went down to join two bays of Cats fans by the race to cheer the boys off. Geelong teams keep it pretty low key when it comes to celebrations, and the club song, but these players faces were beaming. They knew what they’d done. And what might come. Six of them said, if this if final’s football, give me more.

I walked back to the hotel counting my lucky stars I barrack for the best club in the AFL. The next day a guy that looked a helluva lot like Jed Bews walked past me in the airport. Then I saw Jack Henry waiting for a coffee. Then one after the other they all piled out of the Virgin lounge, one legend after another, and I thought to myself, you know Adelaide’s not such a bad place after all.
Brilliant write-up, almost poetic in the imagery!!! Ecstatic that it worked out so well for you.

Greetings fellow Cat’s fans. Here’s my experiece from Thursday night, for those who might be interested, or can relate…

With a mixture of loosely held optimism and blind faith I decided to fly from NZ to see the game on Thursday. On the surface, surely a fool’s errand. My son had work, so I would be attending solo. And my last experiences at AO (both in 2017) are far from cherished memories.

I was buoyed by seeing the great man himself, Joel Selwood, on my connecting flight from Melbourne, but by the time I arrived at the hotel the Tom Stewart news had be wondering why I put myself through these things.

Nonetheless, I transformed myself from an average looking middle aged male to a resplendent human, full of both good taste and high intelligence, with the simple donning of a Cats cap, and the draping of a Geelong scarf around my neck. Chef’s kiss.

Out the window I saw a young family – Mum, Dad, and two daughters – walking along the footpath head to toe in blue and white, and I thought to myself, ‘at least there’s five of us.’

Out on the street I spotted more. Far more than I expected. Strangers swapped looks of recognition and appreciation to see were out in some kind of force in enemy territory. A kid of about twenty in a Geelong jumper gave me the thumbs up, a beaming smile, and directions to the ground. Thanks son.

As I stood in line for a beer a group of three Port supporters were harping on about their midfield. ‘Nah mate, our midfield will be too good.’ They almost sounded like they were trying convince themselves, I thought. Like they were the nervous ones.

I made my way up to Bay 332 and took my seat amongst a decent scattering of blue and white. The faithful. The crazy ones. The ones that could get two days off work.

Within 30 seconds I sensed something was up. Not something special, or as incredible as what transpired, but at least that we might throw a punch. A punch or two is all a fan can ask for, right?

However, the night turned into a collection of memories I will not soon forget. I spent as much of the game off my feet as I did with ass on my seat; my hands on my head in disbelief, as often as my fist was pumping holes in the Adelaide air.

As soon as the ball left Cameron’s foot the sound came from the Cats fan’s behind the goals telegraphing genius. Surely not, I thought, but the sound only got louder and louder until it was all around me.

I counted three contests in the first half that looked like a certain Port mark or F50 turnover, that Humphries sprinted to and turned into a stoppage, or a behind. Yes, he’s a stunning kick, yes he’s composed, but he knows his first job is to defend.

By quarter time, I was proud, but worried. Had we missed too many chances? But instantly, Max Holmes took Zac Butters on a run around the wing that was almost laughable. I laughed anyway.

We turned Port into what I’ve seen lesser Geelong sides become in high pressure finals of yesteryear. Lost and nervous. We sucked them of all confidence. By the end, we had a party. Dempsey took a speccy on the wing. Stengle stole the ball out of someone’s pocket. Mannagh dominated. Our defence was rock solid. Max Holmes took a run from full back and took four bounces. Oh, okay, is that what we’re doing now?

I went down to join two bays of Cats fans by the race to cheer the boys off. Geelong teams keep it pretty low key when it comes to celebrations, and the club song, but these players faces were beaming. They knew what they’d done. And what might come. Six of them said, if this if final’s football, give me more.

I walked back to the hotel counting my lucky stars I barrack for the best club in the AFL. The next day a guy that looked a helluva lot like Jed Bews walked past me in the airport. Then I saw Jack Henry waiting for a coffee. Then one after the other they all piled out of the Virgin lounge, one legend after another, and I thought to myself, you know Adelaide’s not such a bad place after all.

Someone print this out, frame it and hang it in the Louvre

THIS. IS. ART.

10/10 write up

Mitch Knevitt was on absolute fire in the final today. 150 rating, 39 disposals, 13 clearances, 10 tackles. By far the best player on the ground. Geelong lost with some terrible kicking for goal. Tom Hawkins kicked 1 goal 3. Cam Guthrie was solid. Wylie Buzza kicked 3 goals for Southport!

based on the pile of shit served up in the VFL only Stewart will come in baring any further injuries this final series you’d think
VFL team out in straight sets. Disappointing as it's the last chance for those players to push for selection and losing successive finals including a home final does not look good on a resume. Knevitt staked his claim and Cam Guthrie helped his cause. Tom Hawkins not so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the replay again.

Setting up for Jezza’s GASesque goal, Stanley had Sweets on his knees, snaffled the ball, kicked to OHhenry, who tussled with Bergman, handballed to Jezza + 💥

OHenry laid stonking tackle on Bergman at Port interchange. Just after Jezza’s glorious goal.

Dempsey’s tackle on Burne-Jones was savage.

My favourite, Duncan kicked to Jezza, who didn’t mark it. Aliir Aliir took possession + was tackled ferociously by Duncan.

Q1 tackles, so far, are fantastic! 😻

Really interesting comment from Scott pregame.

Said something like this is about winning a premiership not throwing all our eggs into getting into a prelim. Clearly he thought we made some decisions to hold back players in case we need to go the long way.

Was Tuohy as sub cause we don't think he's got 4 consecutive games in him so he'll be back in the 22 for the prelim? Do they think SDK is an automatic inclusion but didn't want to rush him?

And if they thought things like that did the performance change anything to them?

Last edited:
I have to admit I didn’t think the team was capable of just flicking the switch for the finals …even more so with Stewart out

But they were all switched on which is what we have been hoping for to happen

I tip my hat to the club it was remarkable to see that happen after the form slump and the inconsistency shown the last few weeks,
Players have harnessed self-belief in their individual strengths + the team cohesion is stronger than ever.

Yeah, it's bloody exciting. I remember watching his VFL highlights when he first arrived. I sent it to my brother and said: we'll see how we go but these are the most incredible pre-AFL highlights I've ever seen.

You never know how someone is going to adjust and translate their form to the next level but boy has he done well. Very impressive.

This was the video:

Home Alone Faint GIF by Disney+

If anyone was born in August + made for September it’s @Play it Sam’s boy, Mannagh

Totally baffled Mannagh has only played 11 games at AFL level! Had to check Cats website. . .

IMG_0413.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

Last edited:
Coaching compare the pair Scott v Hinkley
Started 2011/2013
Games 332/272
Wins 225/164
Loss 104/108
Draw 3/0
Win % 67.8/60.3

Finals