Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Before adopting John Watts new song to the tune Toreador March this was our theme song to the famous tune Auld Lang Syne.

Amazing. I've always hated Norths tuneless "lots of fun, heaps of fun" thing. Never knew it came from our song but to a different tune?
Check out St Kilda's though: "though it's not yet in the bag, we've got hopes of winning the flag beside the seaside" lol

A few recent video discoveries involving Geelong that I'll make you aware of.

Thanks for that RB , much appreciated

The one which would be as valuable as a 1930 penny is the 1967 PF v Carlton , especially the 3rd qtr , Geel nearly 5 goals down at h/t , then kicked 8 goals to 1 , John Sharrock played a big part in that , and 11 goals to 1 in the 2nd half to win and qualify for that years GF

Not overstating it , but i think Geelongs best win outside any GF

Thus if you could find vision of the 3rd qtr of that 67 PF it would be fantastic

Keep the uploads coming Rhett, loving these. I wasn’t around in the 60s so it’s great to see the stars of the past.

There are two stories that come to mind for me that I would love to see the footage of, if it exists.

1962 PF replay where Doug Wade playing in front gave away a holding the man free and also poor old Doug again. This time when an apple core was thrown at him when having a shot at goal.

Saw a Hawks fan happy with how their rebuild has gone, highlighting that all through out their % didn't dip below 80% despite a few bad years.

Got me thinking, what's our record like..

Last season below 80% - 1975
Since moving into Kardinia Park in 1944. Seasons below 80% - 7

Nice footage, was curious about the title "The Miracle Match" - had never heard of it, so looked it up and found a wiki page for it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Match_(Australian_rules_football). What a match! Sure - we got thrashed by one of the worst teams in history, but it probably galvanised the team that went on to win the premiership. You have to wonder why they didn't make Wally Clark coach - 100% record against the incumbent (the great Kevin Murray) with a 0% record. Interesting that there is footage of it when none of the Melbourne radio stations thought the match worth covering considering it was meant to be so one-sided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back