GFL Geelong Football League - 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went and watched West v Joeys today. Bit of a blow out in the end but West were within 4 or 5 goals all day. Missed their three talls that didn't play but were outplayed for most of the day. Joeys however IMO are a bit off the pace with the top sides. They will do well to just make finals. Biggest shock for me was how slow they were. Caught with the footy a dozen or more times. Unsure who missed for them but couldn't see Street or Bauer. Safe to say Newtown's season is over after falling at home to Leopold. Eagles would be far from comfortable with where they're at I would think.

I went and watched the game too and thought West fought the game out really well.

After half time they only had 19 fit players so their rotation was well down numbers wise.

Didn't stop trying until the end, so can't ask more than that from them.

Grovedale footy club has done it again.. Already a laughing stock of GFL footy this latest stunt just proves how unprofessional this club really is.

A promosing young footballer aged 18 has been denied his debut in the 1's this week because the club thought it'd be memorable to bring in the 35 year old 2's coach because its his brothers 200th game.. Would any other GFL club bring an old bloke not up to 1's into the side just coz its his brothers milestone game??? Wouldn't think so..

Everyone always asksed why Grovey had great juniors but they always moved to other clubs once they finished under 18's.. Well when the club give 30-35year old blokes games in the 2's and leaves young blokes misssing out or sitting on the bench you can see why the club is a rabble.

Really thought the club had started to make great strides but this latest episode proves just how unprofessional and living in the past this club is

Tim, some of what you say may be right, but unless you are involved in selection you dont know why certain selections are made. As you said later, grovey would be a much better side with a marking target. maybe they thought he might be the man for the job. As far as selecting 18yo's. Just because a guy is young doesnt mean he is in good form, or plays the position they want to make a change in. maybe he has parts of his game that need working on.

You hold Sth Barwon up as the example for everything good, but i remember them being criticised for picking older players, last year in the finals, at the expense of some young guys who had played a fair bit during the year. If these kids are going to be any good, patience is a good attribute to have too.

the other point i want to make is if you are as passionate about your club as you sound, GET INVOLVED. There are hundreds of people who want to have their 20 cents worth, but wont do anything to help.
I can tell that you get frustrated, but bagging your club on here does nothing positive. Think of the people who spend 4-5 days at the club a week, dont listen too much to the ones who turn up, on match days, drink beer, and want to bag everything. Clubs are littered with saturday experts who get to go home after work everyday. There are people at every club who would put in 20-30 hours, unpaid, each week, and bagging your club is like a kick in the guts to them.

Tim, some of what you say may be right, but unless you are involved in selection you dont know why certain selections are made. As you said later, grovey would be a much better side with a marking target. maybe they thought he might be the man for the job. As far as selecting 18yo's. Just because a guy is young doesnt mean he is in good form, or plays the position they want to make a change in. maybe he has parts of his game that need working on.

You hold Sth Barwon up as the example for everything good, but i remember them being criticised for picking older players, last year in the finals, at the expense of some young guys who had played a fair bit during the year. If these kids are going to be any good, patience is a good attribute to have too.

the other point i want to make is if you are as passionate about your club as you sound, GET INVOLVED. There are hundreds of people who want to have their 20 cents worth, but wont do anything to help.
I can tell that you get frustrated, but bagging your club on here does nothing positive. Think of the people who spend 4-5 days at the club a week, dont listen too much to the ones who turn up, on match days, drink beer, and want to bag everything. Clubs are littered with saturday experts who get to go home after work everyday. There are people at every club who would put in 20-30 hours, unpaid, each week, and bagging your club is like a kick in the guts to them.

The bloke picked hasnt played 1's for 4-5 years so the selection was based purely on sentiment. Im not saying you have to pick an 18 year old just coz he's young, but when your side is not going to play finals this season why wouldn't you blood the youngsters? The 35 year old is not going to be there if/when Grovey turn into a finals team but a bunch of 18/19/20 years old will.

I use Sth Barwon as an example because they're the yardstick by a long way pure and simple. There decision to play older guys in the finals last year didnt really backfire did it?

Ive never come on here and bagged any of the volunteers mate, volunteers to a fantastic job. Coaches and players get paid tho so id think they've got every right to be critised. Work permits me from being anything other than a saturday expert as you put it.

Come on Tim, you cant use work as an excuse to have no envolvment in local footy, there is always something you can do surely. I am with "Go Longer" on this one, its easy to crack people on this forum. There is always something to do at a footy club and thats not always on a saturday.

Come on Tim, you cant use work as an excuse to have no envolvment in local footy, there is always something you can do surely. I am with "Go Longer" on this one, its easy to crack people on this forum. There is always something to do at a footy club and thats not always on a saturday.

Vinny you's are missing the point. I never attacked any volunteers i had a crack at the people involved in selecting a 35 year old who hadn't played seniors for 4-5 years ( for good reason to ).

This forum is for people to have an opinion on all things local footy. Ill give Grovey a wrap if they deserve one but ill also give them a bake to if they deserve it. Unfortunately 8 times out of 10 they deserve a bake.

Vinny you's are missing the point. I never attacked any volunteers i had a crack at the people involved in selecting a 35 year old who hadn't played seniors for 4-5 years ( for good reason to ).

This forum is for people to have an opinion on all things local footy. Ill give Grovey a wrap if they deserve one but ill also give them a bake to if they deserve it. Unfortunately 8 times out of 10 they deserve a bake.
Tim your opinion is valued, and i reckon a lot of what you say on here is good stuff, but being a bit supportive of your club will do a lot more than potting them when you dont like something that happens. I know you werent bagging the volunteers but my point was these are the people that can take what you say personally. Again the point on sth barwon, if grovey had of won on saturday would that have then been the right decision?
I reckon most of the people involved in local footy either work long hours, or own their own business, but still find time. Being involved doesnt mean you have to be there all the time, but come up with a job you might be able to do.
I reckon every person involved in local footy wants their team to be succesfull. My point is if yopu have something to say, say it to the right people, not on here. yibbada yibbada

Tim your opinion is valued, and i reckon a lot of what you say on here is good stuff, but being a bit supportive of your club will do a lot more than potting them when you dont like something that happens. I know you werent bagging the volunteers but my point was these are the people that can take what you say personally. Again the point on sth barwon, if grovey had of won on saturday would that have then been the right decision?
I reckon most of the people involved in local footy either work long hours, or own their own business, but still find time. Being involved doesnt mean you have to be there all the time, but come up with a job you might be able to do.
I reckon every person involved in local footy wants their team to be succesfull. My point is if yopu have something to say, say it to the right people, not on here. yibbada yibbada

Nah coz from what i counted he had 8 disposals and 8 clangers! Everyone there watching on saturday knew it was the wrong call.

I understand your point about saying something to the right people mate, but what reaction do you think someone would get if they went up to a senior coach and quizzed him on some of the decisions he makes at selection night? Im tipping it'd start with F and end with off..

Nah coz from what i counted he had 8 disposals and 8 clangers! Everyone there watching on saturday knew it was the wrong call.

I understand your point about saying something to the right people mate, but what reaction do you think someone would get if they went up to a senior coach and quizzed him on some of the decisions he makes at selection night? Im tipping it'd start with F and end with off..
i reckon if you approached him in the right way he might explain why. If a bloke knows that you are passionate i reckon he would make time for you. My main point is, local footy is mainly made up of volunteers, and they put their heart into it. would be good, and you would have a better club if you got behind them, and if you want to pot them, do it in private. Unlike a red headed former coach who showed no class the other week, or should i say has no class

i reckon if you approached him in the right way he might explain why. If a bloke knows that you are passionate i reckon he would make time for you. My main point is, local footy is mainly made up of volunteers, and they put their heart into it. would be good, and you would have a better club if you got behind them, and if you want to pot them, do it in private. Unlike a red headed former coach who showed no class the other week, or should i say has no class

Yeah what happened there mate? I heard he gave the club a pretty big bake on k-rock.. What was he saying?

The Red head must'nt have come from a grass roots club and perhaps just started playing for North melbourne......

By the way Tim..I noticed Grovey had the 18 year old Jesse Claffy play his first game on Saturday...did u notice?..and Zac Birrell is apparently being given massive jobs at Centre half Back each week and apparently doing a great job..well done to the club for supporting these two YOUNG kids...my spies tell me Wes martin has been killing them in the Reserves this year...first time fit in a few years..and justified his selection as a leading forward in his own right....but i imagine the emotional component came into it as well...I'm sure there would be many jobs you could do at any club...if you wanted to..

The Red head must'nt have come from a grass roots club and perhaps just started playing for North melbourne......

By the way Tim..I noticed Grovey had the 18 year old Jesse Claffy play his first game on Saturday...did u notice?..and Zac Birrell is apparently being given massive jobs at Centre half Back each week and apparently doing a great job..well done to the club for supporting these two YOUNG kids...my spies tell me Wes martin has been killing them in the Reserves this year...first time fit in a few years..and justified his selection as a leading forward in his own right....but i imagine the emotional component came into it as well...I'm sure there would be many jobs you could do at any club...if you wanted to..

Yes i have noticed this.. At the end of the day i had an opinion that the selection wasnt the right call and everyone else ive spoken to have all said it wasnt the right call. I havnt bagged volunteers or anything so i dont know where any of this has come from. Did you watch the game saturday shad? If so did you think wes's performance justified his selection?

What did bluey say about the club on k-rock?

Yes i have noticed this.. At the end of the day i had an opinion that the selection wasnt the right call and everyone else ive spoken to have all said it wasnt the right call. I havnt bagged volunteers or anything so i dont know where any of this has come from. Did you watch the game saturday shad? If so did you think wes's performance justified his selection?

What did bluey say about the club on k-rock?
just being his usual arrogant self. If you didnt know, he has never been wrong

Tim....Wes would probably admit his own performance was disappointing...but his performances up to that point in the seconds as I am led to believe more than justified his selection..he seemed very nervous and struggled. If performance was the only way to justify selection I imagine many players wouldn't justify gettinggames...but it actually doesn't work like that...
Only heard second hand what Bluey said..so I'm not 100% sure...but understand he bagged the club....I'm not that close to Bluey..but he must go up and watch Grovey a bit does he??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was listening when Bluey made the comments, was a couple of weeks ago now but he did bag the club a bit. From what i recall he said the current coach was kidding himself if he thought they could finish top 3 and that he had severely underestimated the standard of the GFL. Which is a fair call. But he also made a few other comments that i cant exactly remember but suffice to say he got stuck into the club pretty hard. My thinking at the time was Bluey you were coach there for a while if you were anything decent then why didnt you do anything about it while you were there. Maybe he tried, cultures are hard to change.

Does anybody out there belive that the top 5 for this year is basically wrapped up.
Leopold, Sth Barwon, Bell Park, St Marys, Lara all on 5 And St Joeys on 4 wins.
Can any other team make it in and who out of these 6 would miss out.
Personally i think it would be Lara, although they won the 1st 5, they only just got over the line in a couple against strugglers (ie. west and newtown)
St Joeys will gradually get better (and they have still won 4 so they could be dangerous i think)
And Leopold has surprised with not only the wins but the way the have blown sides away, does anyone give them a chance to stay in...

:rolleyes:

1.st marys
2.south barwon
3.bellpark
4.leopold
5.st josephs ( fall from grace ) where's peter street been the last 4 weeks
6.lara ( chance )
7.colac ( chance )
8.newtown
9.geelong west
10.st albans
11.grovedale
12.north shore

1.st marys
2.south barwon
3.bellpark
4.leopold
5.st josephs ( fall from grace )
6.lara ( chance )
7.colac ( chance )
8.newtown
9.geelong west
10.st albans
11.grovedale
12.north shore

Absolutely spot on. Makes an even bigger mockery of Coach Lang's prediction pre-season. Good on Lara for a great start to the season but the jury still out until they claim some big scalps. However, you can only beat who you play.

So how do you think the Tigers went Saturday Tim?

It was interesting because alot of other supporters thought we had a red hot crack but still lost by 70 even tho they had 5 super players out.

My opinion is we did have a crack but it shows how crap we are and how good South Barwon are because we seemed happy to "only" lose by 70 points. Grovedale just dont have any good players and if we are happy losing to South Barwon by 70 points with 4 or 5 of there better players out then where is the Grovedale FC going?

Is it right that the GDFL have postponed their tribunal until next week just so that Adam Skrobolak can play interleague for them?!

Yes it is true.

Absolutely ridiculous. Talk about setting your own set of rules and only applying them when it suits you. If he was reported, he should face the tribunal and cop his sentence; regardless of who it is and regardless of the league. If the player reported was not selected for interleague, I bet the tribunal would have gone ahead. Could you see the AFL doing this? Wouldn't have thought so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back