Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney dominance - is there a problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

When the end comes, it can come very quickly.

trading out guys around 25-28 with currency may be able to bring in something they will lose from guys who are 33/34 next year

but overall they look quite balanced and still in the premiership window

Fc(k) da H8erz

maxresdefault.jpg

Geelong are done, Sydney will fall away (and have only managed 2 flags, 7 years apart), and the Hawks might have one more good crack left in them at best.

So, the answer is no.

Attendances of clubs who aren't actually in with a chance for the flag are gonna start dropping off because you have to wait 5-7 years to build a list
It's in the AFL's interest to make it a quicker process

Attendances of clubs who aren't actually in with a chance for the flag are gonna start dropping off because you have to wait 5-7 years to build a list

My experience is the rebuild is a good time watching your club - IF you need to be in the finals race to go to the games, your club is in trouble - bit like those self professed fans who wont go to particular venues, fans not really ....

The concern the AFL must have is the growing number of weaker teams in the competition, any number of the bottom six teams this year would've been worthy wooden spoon recipients. Etihad Stadium now plays hosts to these 2nd fiddle matches and as much as the AFL will never admit it publicly they are extremely concerned with the on going demise of Carlton and Essendon, two former powerhouse clubs. Geelong are re-building and Sydney might just nosedive in 2016, the Franklin issue will become paramount to their immediate future success. Age will nail Hawthorn in due course, whether that is next year or 2017. I'm wondering who the next big three will be though? I can stick my neck out and say the Bulldogs will be one of them, the Tigers? Freo are stagnating? North are just hovering around and Port fell away this year. If Hawthorn are not going to win their 4th flag in a row then who is the challenger that will take their crown? I'm going to tip a Bulldogs back to back sooner rather than later...

The concern the AFL must have is the growing number of weaker teams in the competition, any number of the bottom six teams this year would've been worthy wooden spoon recipients. Etihad Stadium now plays hosts to these 2nd fiddle matches and as much as the AFL will never admit it publicly they are extremely concerned with the on going demise of Carlton and Essendon, two former powerhouse clubs. Geelong are re-building and Sydney might just nosedive in 2016, the Franklin issue will become paramount to their immediate future success. Age will nail Hawthorn in due course, whether that is next year or 2017. I'm wondering who the next big three will be though? I can stick my neck out and say the Bulldogs will be one of them, the Tigers? Freo are stagnating? North are just hovering around and Port fell away this year. If Hawthorn are not going to win their 4th flag in a row then who is the challenger that will take their crown? I'm going to tip a Bulldogs back to back sooner rather than later...
The problems at Carlton and Essendon are strictly internal issues. There is nothing about the way the game os governed that has led to their demise unless you want to count that they both got caught cheating/running their club in a disgraceful manner. Equalisation should never be about ensuring results. The system is weighted towards long term equal results (in some ways at least) but it offers no guarantees. Hawthorn recruited 73% of its best 22 after its premiership year of 2008. That is we did it without the assistance of high draft picks (or salary cap space). Breust, an AA forward, was a rookie list player looked over by the Swans who could have taking him as a rookie for free. Literally no one else wanted him. Was it luck? There is always some luck in recruitment but we certainly make a lot of good decisions. Also, no one at our club is paid the kind of money the top players get because that would hurt our chances of being a premiership contender. So while Judd was a great player and probably worth a million a year in some ways, that recruitment decision made Carlton less likely to win a flag. There is no way of controlling for poor decision making by club administrators.

trading out guys around 25-28 with currency may be able to bring in something they will lose from guys who are 33/34 next year

but overall they look quite balanced and still in the premiership window
Generally, guys aged 25 to 29 are the key to premierships. If they trade them out, they may hasten their end. If they don't have any superstars in that age group, then the end may be near.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are done
When people realise in the next 1-2 years that Geelong have quietly been in rebuild mode since 2012 the saltiness levels will be immense. The club has clearly been working towards another serious tilt while Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor are still playing. It's just been masked to some extent by the fact that the veterans have been gradually moved on 2-3 at a time rather than all at once.

Be very interesting to see what Hawthorn do with their list. Hanging on to almost all of their older players has obviously been justified, but they now face a situation where they have a significant group of players in the 31+ age group, and a surprisingly large number in the 27+ group too.

I don't see the problem. Teams tend to be "up" in eras. The Hawks have been succesful since 08, but before that they hadn't won a flag since 91. That's 17 years, for all we know once this era ends they might not win another one for another 10-20 years. Geelong before 07 hadn't won one since 1963. Before the Swans won it in 05, they hadn't won it since South Melbourne in over 70 years. Look at Richmond in the 60s/70s, Lions in the 00s, Carlton in the 70s-early 80s. Crows/North Melbourne/West Coast in the 90s.

What these 3 sides have done, is been very good at taking advantage of their "up" periods, where other clubs such as Port Adelaide in the early 00s, or the Saints in 09-10 failed to capatalise on strong lists and coaching.

So no, there isn't a problem, it will level out and other teams will win flags, it's just another era like there have been so many in the past with various teams. Anyone who thinks that from here until the end of time these 3 teams will stay up forever is kidding themselves. We have already arguably seen the decline of Geelong, and it will happen to the Hawks too at some point.

Attendance is more to do with marketing

Hawthorn had a surge in our down patches, due to good PR

The problems at Carlton and Essendon are strictly internal issues. There is nothing about the way the game os governed that has led to their demise unless you want to count that they both got caught cheating/running their club in a disgraceful manner. Equalisation should never be about ensuring results. The system is weighted towards long term equal results (in some ways at least) but it offers no guarantees. Hawthorn recruited 73% of its best 22 after its premiership year of 2008. That is we did it without the assistance of high draft picks (or salary cap space). Breust, an AA forward, was a rookie list player looked over by the Swans who could have taking him as a rookie for free. Literally no one else wanted him. Was it luck? There is always some luck in recruitment but we certainly make a lot of good decisions. Also, no one at our club is paid the kind of money the top players get because that would hurt our chances of being a premiership contender. So while Judd was a great player and probably worth a million a year in some ways, that recruitment decision made Carlton less likely to win a flag. There is no way of controlling for poor decision making by club administrators.
I agree with you, however the competition needs a strong on field Carlton and Essendon, they both have huge followings. It would be nice to see Etihad Stadium filled for a change instead of playing to a half full stadium most weeks. The Hawks have been clever with their recruiting and Breust is a perfect example while Geelong haven't had a pick higher than 7 for over 20 years. The good teams manage to find a way. The Dogs have done extremely well these past few years and i fully expect them to be the up and coming challenger to the Hawks beginning 2016. Unfortunately for the competition both Carlton & Essendon will linger around the bottom of the table again next season stinking up the place...their supporters will stay away in droves!

Saints should be in there for their dominance too.

If you aren't rating our flags.

You guys probably go down as the best team of the lot such was your dominance
Oh i rate your flags!!! I just dont think two flags almost 10 years apart should be considered dominance. Its what equalisation should be like IMO

When people realise in the next 1-2 years that Geelong have quietly been in rebuild mode since 2012 the saltiness levels will be immense. The club has clearly been working towards another serious tilt while Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor are still playing. It's just been masked to some extent by the fact that the veterans have been gradually moved on 2-3 at a time rather than all at once.

Be very interesting to see what Hawthorn do with their list. Hanging on to almost all of their older players has obviously been justified, but they now face a situation where they have a significant group of players in the 31+ age group, and a surprisingly large number in the 27+ group too.

Good chance that Geelong's round 1 team in 2016 is going to be significantly stronger then the team that beat Adelaide in Round 23.

IN: Dangerfield, Caddy, Duncan, Stanley, Clark, Henderson, S.Selwood

I reckon Geelong will finish in the top 8 in 2016.

As Derm said after the game - "You can put in all the measures you like but you cannot equalize good management."

Good chance that Geelong's round 1 team in 2016 is going to be significantly stronger then the team that beat Adelaide in Round 23.

IN: Dangerfield, Caddy, Duncan, Stanley, Clark, Henderson, S.Selwood

I reckon Geelong will finish in the top 8 in 2016.
I agree. Obviously it is Geelong's sacred mission to slay the dragon that is Hawthorn so that the people of the AFL can live without fear.

I think what the fear is for the next 10 years it would be like this

Premiers
2016 Hawks
2017 Cats
2018 Swans
2019 Other
2020 Other
2021 Cats
2022 Hawks
2023 Swans
2024 Other
2025 Hawks
Woo, 16th flag by 2025. I wouldn't mind that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney dominance - is there a problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back