Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney dominance - is there a problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what the fear is for the next 10 years it would be like this

Premiers
2016 Hawks
2017 Cats
2018 Swans
2019 Other
2020 Other
2021 Cats
2022 Hawks
2023 Swans
2024 Other
2025 Hawks

poorly worded on my part. i agree, i dont think it was luck the point i was trying to make is that its not dominance. its actually a good sign of equalisation that your flags were nearly 10 years apart, opposed to geelongs and hawthorns period of dominance.

Someone needs to get Melbourne, Carlton, St Kilda and Richmond (Not far off) back to the top, along with Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs and Freo having one last tilt. Would be awesome seeing the least successful sides of the last couple of decades all contending for a premiership.

Someone needs to get Melbourne, Carlton, St Kilda and Richmond (Not far off) back to the top, along with Port Adelaide and Western Bulldogs and Freo having one last tilt. Would be awesome seeing the least successful sides of the last couple of decades all contending for a premiership.
Melbourne and Carlton you can put down to poor list management. Salary cap issue didn't help Carlton either.

Saints and Dogs have had windows at similar times. Late 90s and 00s.

Port won a flag 11 years ago and I think will bounce back next year. Freo going through a good few years at the moment.

****ed if I know what Richmond will do.

As much as equalisation is an issue, clubs still have to take responsibility for their list management as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the interesting thing is that it doesn't look like Geelong or Sydney will be dropping away anytime soon. They have both rejuvenated their lists brilliantly, as their best players are in the 24-28 age bracket.

Hawthorn will likely take a dip once Mitch, Hodge, etc retire. But hopefully we can retool like Sydney and Geelong have, and bounce back quickly.

Their success is in a part due to luck, they were the strong successful teams when the AFL raped the league to establish GC and GWS, all the prominent young kids who should have gone to the teams at the bottom of the ladder such as Melb, Brisbane, WBD, St Kilda, Port Adelaide etc etc instead were shipped off to plastic AFL franchises. This hamstrung those clubs at the bottom of the ladder, meaning the clubs already up had no competition from below. This lead to sustained success, which made them destination clubs. Bring in Free Agency and being a destination club is suddenly a very large advantage, so the strong teams got stronger.

Then you add in other factors, like Geelong's home ground advantage / advantage of attracting players due to their larger geographical historical base. Add in AFL scams like Buddy Franklin and Tippet to Sydney, as well as COLA and you have the period of dominance.

Im hoping their dominance will die off, but then GWS's will come. The only thing certain about the AFL is their self interest will inevitably cause injustice, and some teams will succeed because of it.

All these idiotic notions about "growing the game" do nothing but abuse THE game, and ruin it for everyone who is already a fan.

Can't fault the list Management strategies of the 3 clubs, continuous topping up of youth and experience, making hard decisions for old players and looking to find players that suit a better fit.

Free Agency and the lure of success is a important factor with the 3 clubs and will continue to be.

Then you add in other factors, like Geelong's home ground advantage / advantage of attracting players due to their larger geographical historical base. Add in AFL scams like Buddy Franklin and Tippet to Sydney, as well as COLA and you have the period of dominance.
You spelt recruitment wrong? The rest of your post was quite good though.

Comprised drafts and free agency have defiantly had an effect.

But Hawthorn have still had to do things a lot better to be up as long as they have.

I don't care who wins it this year, as long as the Grand Final isn't over at quarter time.

New afl rule. Whoever out of sydney/geelong/hawthorn win this premiership has to take malthouse on and give him a 3 year contract with complete control over list management and gameplan. The only time you'll see hawks/cats fans happy at either winning a premiership

Genuine question. What about if any team that has won the flag in the last 4 years is barred from bringing in a free agent?

Free agency is the big one. Players going for premiership success means the weak teams get weaker and the strong teams get stronger.
We've lost franklin and suckling for jon Simpkin and Frawley. Geelong lost the games greatest player at the time to free agency for lachie Henderson and Zac Smith?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back