Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

joe444

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2006
Franga
AFL Club
Geelong
Okay, so yet another caller to Trade Radio has claimed "nobody ever talks about" (hint - cover up) and "they should investigate" (hint - illegality) how "Geelong gets all these A graders".

Even if the above were factual, is there actually any evidence out there, or just baseless stuff about land deals and Cotton On? I'd like to think, since I follow the side, I'd have picked up on something. And I'm too bloody old to be biased about this sort of stuff, which is why this isn't posted on the Bay.

Okay, so yet another caller to Trade Radio has claimed "nobody ever talks about" (hint - cover up) and "they should investigate" (hint - illegality) how "Geelong gets all these A graders".

Even if the above were factual, is there actually any evidence out there, or just baseless stuff about land deals and Cotton On? I'd like to think, since I follow the side, I'd have picked up on something. And I'm too bloody old to be biased about this sort of stuff, which is why this isn't posted on the Bay.
I keep hearing stuff about the farms being a big motivator. To be honest I think it's more the lifestyle geelong offers. Who wouldn't want to live the easy going country lifestyle only being 1 hr from town.

Given Geelong's strategy of not wanting to bottom out, they probably need to target more ready made players than drafting kids.

They've got some big fish along the way like Jeremy Cameron (which the cats paid a high price for) and Dangerfield.

They've also had a few average players that were unwanted but came to be serviceable, like Menegola, Rohan, Isaac Smith and Jared Rivers.

But where they really rorted the system was getting Crameri, Blease, Henderson, Stephenson, Higgins, Dahlhaus.

So yeah, they get some A graders. But geez they get all the other letters as well.

There's just a lot of opinions out there based on "I Reckon" - plus, of course, a healthy amount of shitstirring, which is all fair enough and part of the game.

It would be somewhat risky to dish out under the table money or land deals to players in the modern era. This isn't the 1970s, where you could hold a year's wages in a paper bag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, Greater Geelong, I guess. Torquay, to be specific :p
All good, I think a lot of non-Cats fans think the players are all like the Henry brothers were growing up and that they live a stone's throw from Kardinia Park when they talk about how the players could easily live in Geelong and just commute an hour each way to Melbourne, not realising very few of them actually live in Geelong. Even living in Torquay would add an extra 20 minutes each way on that trip, if they live in other coastal places like Anglesea, Ocean Grove or Queenscliff it could easily blow out into spending more than three hours in a car each day if they played for a Melbourne club.

Did you get caught cheating the salary cap for 8 years and only fined $40K?
Not exactly. There was no suggestion that in those breaches that we went over the salary cap.
But instead incorrectly accounted for GST on management fees for a venue we operated. Small potatoes error in reality.

I keep hearing stuff about the farms being a big motivator. To be honest I think it's more the lifestyle geelong offers. Who wouldn't want to live the easy going country lifestyle only being 1 hr from town.

North have pinned their colours to Arden street even though the possibility of Ballarat or a council on the outer northern fringe of suburban Melbourne may well have taken them. Same for Essendon and Tullamarine being just off the freeway to both north and west. Seaford has been attributed as a disaster for St Kilda.

If being away from the buzz and bright lights of the city worked for more than just Geelong surely one of the other Vic teams all clustered either in the city or suburbia would have given it a go to try and muscle in.

Not exactly. There was no suggestion that in those breaches that we went over the salary cap.
But instead incorrectly accounted for GST on management fees for a venue we operated. Small potatoes error in reality.

I would never defend Adelaide for what happened with Tippett, but not declaring a Balfours promotion worth $40k was just as minor, didn't even breach the salary cap.

What I don't understand is how one is a two year draft ban the other is small potatoes.

I would never defend Adelaide for what happened with Tippett, but not declaring a Balfours promotion worth $40k was just as minor, didn't even breach the salary cap.

What I don't understand is how one is a two year draft ban the other is small potatoes.

Lol this is a beautifully deluded description of the Tippett shenanigans😂😂😂

If being away from the buzz and bright lights of the city worked for more than just Geelong surely one of the other Vic teams all clustered either in the city or suburbia would have given it a go to try and muscle in.
Yeah, I'd wait and see how it looks when we start playing like shit to see if it really has that much pulling power.

Geelong will be a top 4 lock next year. well coached, list will be topped up again and they are gaining another game down in Geelong where they barely lose. lets say they get 10 games in Geelong, they will win 8 or 9 of those, win a few away or at the G and bang.. thats a lock for top 4

Geelong will be a top 4 lock next year. well coached, list will be topped up again and they are gaining another game down in Geelong where they barely lose. lets say they get 10 games in Geelong, they will win 8 or 9 of those, win a few away or at the G and bang.. thats a lock for top 4

We had the same record at KP this year as we had away from there

Jealousy is a curse.

I think Scott's their best ever coach. He's getting great returns from a not very expensive list. Players like good coaches, they like winning. Are they getting a stream of cheap superstars? Pretty sure they paid full price for Danger and Cameron, both of whom would have been well paid when younger and wanted a shot at team success. Cotton On may be playing cute, if so they'll get caught like Carlton did with the printing company rort.

Once a rumour is up and running its truth for some. "No smoke without fire" yeah nah could just be you need an oil change, or someone has lit up a Rothman's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back