Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't understand how they got pick 7 last year. That one seems so suss.

At the same time, sheet,. they've done well from players nobody else is interested in.

Stewart, Stengle and Humphries come to mind.
Picking up Stengle is not amazing work that it's made out to be, it's just a more relaxed position on players drug taking and drink driving than other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read on bigfooty once, and admittedly this isn't a great source or anything, that Geelong have a history of selling property to their players at considerably below market rates. Probably not true, but it is what I read here.
Next you'll tell me Paul Couch has a house next to Ablett

There was a time when the only players Geelong could attract from other clubs were washed up has beens at the end of their career. Nowadays players don't have the active social life they once had in Melbourne, if they go out today someone will have them on a phone video or pic in seconds. No more Tunnel, no more Saloon Bar, no more falling out of King Street strip clubs at 2am in the morning! Geelong offers a lot of anonymity and they take them up on it.
there is other reasons to play for the cats.

It's fine to point to a lack of evidence, but where would the evidence come from? AFL salary cap auditors. And do we have any confidence that they're doing their job competently?

Well, how many salary cap infringements have been uncovered by the league that were not either self reports or from whistleblowers? I.e how many times have AFL.salary cap auditors found anything?

Last edited:
Geelongs arrogance in trade negotiation has reached its peak, hopefully the Dogs and Saints/Dees teach them a lesson.

Sniff to the draft, one of those clubs pick him up.
How so? Smith hadn’t played in 12 months coming off an ACL.Consensus with most is that pick 17 was about right.

I still don't understand how they got pick 7 last year. That one seems so suss.

At the same time, sheet,. they've done well from players nobody else is interested in.

Stewart, Stengle and Humphries come to mind.
And don’t forget Tim Kelly - overlooked by the 2 WA teams in successive years.

As for pick 7 in 2022, that offer was open to all 17 clubs, the condition being Jack Bowes came with the pick. As it happened, Bowes had been on Cats’ radar.

1 extra pure home ground advantage game. Pretty much everybody else has neutral home games.

It’s actually scary how you think you guys are the victims when you are in fact the most privileged.

So like I said, give an inch you take a mile. Thanks for proving it.
It’s not playing the victim or being “privileged”. it’s just being factual. Not one club in the AFL plays less home games on their home ground.

Cleanwipe thinks Geelong should be forced to play its home games at Marvel Stadium because to play home games at a stadium in your home City is an unfair privilege.

You’ve proved what a massive hypocrite you are

It's fine to point to a lack of evidence, but where would the evidence come from? AFL salary cap auditors. And do we have any confidence that they're doing their job competently?

Well, how many salary cap infringements have been uncovered by the league that were not either self reports or from whistleblowers? I.e how many times have AFL.salary cap auditors found anything?
Come on mate this is the reasoning of a conspiracy theorist.

So… you’re saying we don’t actually NEED evidence then? A Facebook rumour is sufficient?

Well that depends. If your name is Josh Worrell it’s ok to drink drive and still get a game for Adelaide.
It does depend apparently. And it seems it's all ok to get caught and still get a game for Geelong.

Didn't the TAC cut ties with Geelong in 2017 after a spate of traffic offences by their players over time, including drink driving?

Stevie Johnson; Joel Selwood; Dawson Simpson; Billie Smedts & Brad Hartman all say hold my beer.

Come on mate this is the reasoning of a conspiracy theorist.
Lol, OK then we should just accept that the AFL, whose integrity department have not uncovered a single salary cap breach this century, has a huge team of top flight auditors that are ensuring total integrity in the system.

I take you back to 2022. Geelong had just won the flag, and the Suns were looking to dump Jack Bowes and his huge salary and were prepared to gift a very high draft pick just to take him off their books. It was a deal every club would take - if they had the cap space.
Apparently the club that had the cap space was the most recent premiers.

Now who knows if there was anything dodgy going on there, but surely it's reasonable to be asking the question. Especially given the league's questionable history in enforcing it's own rules.

There's just a lot of opinions out there based on "I Reckon" - plus, of course, a healthy amount of shitstirring, which is all fair enough and part of the game.

It would be somewhat risky to dish out under the table money or land deals to players in the modern era. This isn't the 1970s, where you could hold a year's wages in a paper bag.

You dont need paper bag for a discounted land purchase do you?

Or the have a building company construct you house or extension at a discount.

Likely get away with more shenanigans being out of the Melbourne fish bowl.

Geelong hold natural advantages linked to cost of living being cheaper in regional areas and not Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back