Preview Geelong V Richmond Sat 25th June 2022 @ MCG 435 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He really copped it on a weekly basis when he was at Adelaide. I know they had Sloane and the Crouch brothers but he was by far their most dynamic midfielder and copped the main tag (when they were still around) all the time.
When he came across to us, again, not much help other than Selwood so he copped the brunt of the tags. Really wears down those players.

I watch what Fremantle are doing with Nat Fyfe and David Mundy. Slowly transitioning them out of the midfield over the last 18 or so months. No reliance on them to come in and dominate. They can now focus on their own footy and play to the standards their bodies allow them.
dropped off significantly in 2020 and has declined further since. only natural at 32 years of age. he is a luxury when he is in, but we are fine without him

In a nutshell:
  • Holmes, Rohan ins = happy times
  • Henry in = too early, needs to find form in the VFL
  • Zuthrie out = genuinely horrendously stiff to miss out, deserves to be in ahead of Henry at this point in time
  • Danger injury = genuinely concerned, will he return to his anywhere near his best when/if he comes back?

Can’t agree at all. He’s the single hope we have at a midfield match winner. If he is cooked, so are we.

We are not reliant on him the way we used to be.

Thats not our mindset we are playing the long game.

Isnt this what Richmond/ Harwick did a few years ago , in that the played with a players missing then come finals what worked thru season was not as productive? Dangerfield has only one thing left to tick really. Or maybe a couple tied up to it. A good finals and a win. Is it past him to find his best? Well lets remove all doubt on the fitness side. Are his numbers on the track as good as they once were? Its interesting that this is happening only a few weeks after the discussion on streamlining his body shape. I wonder if he can play the way he did and recover the way he once did.

Isnt this what Richmond/ Harwick did a few years ago , in that the played with a players missing then come finals what worked thru season was not as productive? Dangerfield has only one thing left to tick really. Or maybe a couple tied up to it. A good finals and a win. Is it past him to find his best? Well lets remove all doubt on the fitness side. Are his numbers on the track as good as they once were? Its interesting that this is happening only a few weeks after the discussion on streamlining his body shape. I wonder if he can play the way he did and recover the way he once did.
FWIW the first game this season he looked excellent, had his first step well and truly back. Looked relatively flat after that though. I would say he still has the capacity to do the burst stuff, the issue would mostly be it just takes longer to recover from niggles as you get older and his gamestyle has always basically been a 1 man car accident aimed at the general direction of play. Amazing when its on song, but bloody tough on the operator.

He could be a menace up tbere, but there's considerable doubt that his body will allow him the opportunity.
IMO our forward line has a really good blend as it is and works together well, Danger while capable and demanding of respect... Gets in the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not demanding he come back sore. It’s the fact he’s still sore after this long. Could be the end of him.
But he has a 5 year contract. And i ve been told repeatedly on this forum that means he will still be going strong for a number of years yet. The contract prevents old man injuries from slowing him down.

Last edited:
We are not reliant on him the way we used to be.
We are still reliant on him having a big end of the season if we are any chance at a flag. Literally we are zero chance if he aint up and about.

he might not be as good as he used to be but we are still reliant. No Younger players have replaced him. Our midfield simply has got worse. And with selwood also getting older we cant fall back to selwood either.

If you still think he’s that player I reckon you might be in for some disappointment. He can do it only sporadically these days. I’m with Lana - love to have him in the team but we can no longer rely on him to win matches. Now it has to be a more even contribution.
If thats true then any chance of a flag is gone.

Probably. Though who knows what injuries/form the other contenders will be in come finals. Dangerfield doesn’t have a great finals record - so maybe his ability to win a GF off his own boot was a forlorn hope in the first place?

I don’t think we need him to win it off his own boot, but we absolutely need him contributing.

Parfitt, Blicavs and Atkins have tightened things up, so we are not leaking goals out of the middle. Guthrie can win plenty of ball and Selwood will do his thing.

But Dangerfield is the missing piece to make us competitive against the best midfielders. He creates score from stoppage and wins his own ball.

We may get away with it this week as Richmond is not much better in there, but I reckon there were alarm bells last week that this midfield group needs help.

There is also the knock on effect on Selwood who is carrying far too big of a load for someone in his 35th year.

I’d like to see Duncan back in the centre square this week. Holmes is an improvement on Stephens, though I would have played them both this week.

I don’t think we need him to win it off his own boot, but we absolutely need him contributing.

Parfitt, Blicavs and Atkins have tightened things up, so we are not leaking goals out of the middle. Guthrie can win plenty of ball and Selwood will do his thing.

But Dangerfield is the missing piece to make us competitive against the best midfielders. He creates score from stoppage and wins his own ball.

We may get away with it this week as Richmond is not much better in there, but I reckon there were alarm bells last week that this midfield group needs help.

There is also the knock on effect on Selwood who is carrying far too big of a load for someone in his 35th year.

I’d like to see Duncan back in the centre square this week. Holmes is an improvement on Stephens, though I would have played them both this week.

Agree with that. I think we really should be playing another midfielder at the expense of Miers though he seems a certain out when either Dangerfield or Parfitt are ready to return.

I reckon if we get done it will be in the midfield so taking an extra genuine mid in that dept at the expense of a small forward or defender is the way to go. Not sure why we really need all of Henry, Kolo and O’Connor? Reckon one of them is superfluous.

IMO our forward line has a really good blend as it is and works together well, Danger while capable and demanding of respect... Gets in the way.

For sure.

My post was more a simplistic acknowledgement that he has the talent, without delving deeper into whether he'd be the right fit.

As of now he wouldn't be, as you correctly pointed out, but I think it's largely a moot discussion as I'm not confident his body will carry him much further.

Probably. Though who knows what injuries/form the other contenders will be in come finals. Dangerfield doesn’t have a great finals record - so maybe his ability to win a GF off his own boot was a forlorn hope in the first place?

Dangerfield's finals record almost suggests it doesn't matter if he's out there or not, but you'd want him out there for the psychological boost and the hope he might turn in a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back