Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My theory is Collingwood played their GF last week.
The intensity usually goes down semi final week and we have a good record in week 2.
Our record after a bye is horrendous but equally as good the following week. We should be up and about and usually are for this particular week.

I do worry about our overall form the past month but I’m gonna back the boys in for this one.
Would’ve been even more confident against the eagles.
If we lose than wow, what a terrible way to finish.
I would agree with you regarding teams playing their "Grand Final" early and downhill after..

but with the setup and change of format, its a perfect example of an outlier season.

Pies and Cats matchup well.... Eagles were always a bad matchup for Pies, look at the win-loss record the last 5-6 games.

But Pies and Cats always tend to be close and the x-factor players stand out and changes the tide of the gams.

9/10 Semi finals are won by the qualifying final loser.

I expect Richmond to beat StKilda relatively comfortably and after a struggle the Cats to knock off a brave pies.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is Geelong's MO of late. Lose qualifier, win Semi and go out in Prelim. Magpies played better than the cats in Finals week 1.

Cats spend all year trying to slow matches down. Finals always happen at a frenetic pace and the Cats just don't seem to handle it.

Dangerfield in the forward line at the start of the last quarter when Selwood broke his finger and they had nobody else for centre bounces was a bit ridiculous by Scott. When the game is on the line, get Dangerfield in the middle.

This is Geelong's MO of late. Lose qualifier, win Semi and go out in Prelim. Magpies played better than the cats in Finals week 1.

Cats spend all year trying to slow matches down. Finals always happen at a frenetic pace and the Cats just don't seem to handle it.

Dangerfield in the forward line at the start of the last quarter when Selwood broke his finger and they had nobody else for centre bounces was a bit ridiculous by Scott. When the game is on the line, get Dangerfield in the middle.

So when the game was on the line, and we cut a 21 point gap down to a goal, with Dangerfield playing forward, that was the time to get rid of him from the forward line was it

Sorry but again i don't understand what divine or legislative right has been given to you to tell me what I would or wouldn't rather. It's 3 flags. That's all I care about. I loved each of them. I am filthy we lost in 2008, but I'm filthy because we lost a flag we should have won, I'm not filthy because "oh well winning in 07-08-09 would have been so much better."

The global celebration of three-peats probably owes as much to the fact that it makes for a very boring and overused headline.

To use another rugby league analogy - the Eels and Bulldogs each won 4 titles in the 80s. I don't know a single person who looks back and goes "well the Eels were way better because they won 81-82-83."
Face it you're just mad that Geelong's little run of success between 2007-2011 is doomed to be forgotten due to being sandwiched between far superior Brisbane and Hawthorn sides before and after

Face it you're just mad that Geelong's little run of success between 2007-2011 is doomed to be forgotten due to being sandwiched between far superior Brisbane and Hawthorn sides before and after

But, but ... Geelong had more H&A wins and more AA’s than the Brisbane or Hawthorn sides ... so they must be better!
(.. just don’t bring up 2008 or 2010 .... apparently blowing up in finals doesn’t count)

[/QUOTE]
Calm down chief, getting over excited here I think. To spell things out for you, NO-ONE is saying that 3 flags in 5 years is an insignificant achievement - those are your words. What the general consensus is that THREEPEAT > 3 flags in 5 years and that is pretty hard to debate. Only the Hawks and Bris Lions have achieved this since it became a national comp. Some would even argue that back to back is regarded higher than 3 in five years but I won't go there

When Geelong dominated, not only did they fail to achieve the 3peat they also failed to go back to back which will forever haunt them considering they had only lost one game for the year and went into the final as raging hot favourites. These two factors contribute significantly to ranking overall team success when it comes in successful premiership sides. Further adding to to argument is that both Hawthorn and Brisbane played in FOUR GF's in a row, Hawks falling over at the first v Sydney and Brisbane in their last GF against Port Power (and crippled by injuries)

Teams play for premiership success - period. AA's, Brownlows etc are all highly regarded INDIVIDUAL awards which are ancillary bonus's only. Home and away wins are a bit meaningless, it's all about qualifying for finals and winning your way to the big dance.

Taking all the above key points into consideration, if you are going to rank the great AFL teams since 1991 the the top three are (in order)

1. Hawthorn/Brisbane (unable to split)
2. Geelong
3 Richmond - if they win this year the move to a clear second and push Geelong down to third

Actually Brisbane on top as they made 4 straight grand finals..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually Brisbane on top as they made 4 straight grand finals..
[/QUOTE]

so did Hawthorn - 12, 13, 14 & 15. In 2011 a late Luke Ball goal knocked them out of the prelim, went within a whisker of making the 2011 GF

... you won’t ... trust me .... we didn’t get cannoned by 15 goals in a prelim during our dynasty 😀
Geelong also didn't back it up with b2b straight sets finals exits either
St. Kilda 😀
Collingwood 😀

Fair to say they don’t have the best record in GF’s
Both 20 win teams in the seasons Geelong beat them in the GF, 2 of the best performed H&A teams to lose grand finals in the history of the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back