Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

geelong are my second team, can i celebrate too!!

BoilingSilkyAmericanmarten-max-1mb.gif
Welcome aboard, the more the merrier!

Did anyone look at the time at 2.30 today and then at approx 4 40pm and thought, it's exactly a week from the time we were officially premiers 😸🏆😺
2.45 today, I said to the wife, Hawk had two by now this time last week 😎

Hawkins kicking goals from the ruck proves Robert Walls was right all along.

"Oh dear, Longmire won't be too happy with Hickey there...it would have been drummed into him all week not to stand in front of Hawkins in a ruck contest. Big Tom's just grabbed the ball, put it on his boot and kicked the Cats first goal of the Grand Final."

"Oh, no...here we go...he's done it again. Can you believe it? That just kills you, that does. Tom Hickey beaten once again in the ruck by Hawkins, who's just too dangerous under those circumstances. This is a dream start for the Cats - they're up and about now. And if I was Tom Hickey I wouldn't be looking to come off for the next few minutes...the coach wouldn't be happy at all with the big fella."

Miss Wallsy callin' the big games...

"Oh dear, Longmire won't be too happy with Hickey there...it would have been drummed into him all week not to stand in front of Hawkins in a ruck contest. Big Tom's just grabbed the ball, put it on his boot and kicked the Cats first goal of the Grand Final."

"Oh, no...here we go...he's done it again. Can you believe it? That just kills you, that does. Tom Hickey beaten once again in the ruck by Hawkins, who's just too dangerous under those circumstances. This is a dream start for the Cats - they're up and about now. And if I was Tom Hickey I wouldn't be looking to come off for the next few minutes...the coach wouldn't be happy at all with the big fella."

Miss Wallsy callin' the big games...
Some of the blame also on the defence for not planting themselves in line with the goal. They should at least made him pass the ball off.

I think Pies were still just pipping us in terms of being favourites. As a Cats supporter, for the first time in a GF, I was very confident off the back of our prep compared to the Pies.
Pies started as favourites but all the money was for Geelong and we were clear favourites by the bounce.

One thing Harry always was supreme at was preparing himself for games. Glad it’s just another of the valuable pieces that have made huge differences at the pointy end of the year.

Very smart man is Harry T, and he knows exactly what's needed preparation-wise and maintaining fitness is. Notice, whether good luck but i reckon good management relatively few soft-tissue injuries happened this season (Max notwithstanding). Also no real chances taken, Danger's fitness block, JC's rest for hammy 'awareness'. Played a major role in having Geelong's players fit enough and equipped to carry off the game plan.

We only had 6 more scoring shots on Saturday than we did back in Round 2 as well.

Helps when you kick 20.13 instead of 10.17 though...
Helps when the oppo doesn't score 17.5 as well. That match, as along ago as it was did provide a degree of confidence for Geelong to turn the tables, we were pretty bad especially after the 1st quarter, Heeney in particular had a freakish night of 'insta-snap' goals where he put boot to ball as quick as the Daniel Wells 'Jackie Chan in mid-air' and kicked 5.0, as did Buddy who had his night out at the SCG. A lot went very right for the Swans that night, and we hadn't established our game plan to anything like the degree it is now.

Has anyone come across the article of this premiership team build

Usually they have a list of where they were drafted and how they were recruited to the club

I haven’t come across it but I’m sure they do it every year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being arrogant - but that 2nd half by Geel was just domination - that half by the Cats was about the best half re skill and just clinical display - the Swans just couldnt get or win the ball

Theres 80 pts wins - and you can get soft goals etc - so its not really that flash - but that was a ruthless dominating 80 pt plus win - i cant think of a better team performance by the Cats than that for a fair while - so its great its happened in the GF - it really gives the brand of the Geel Football Club a huge lift . Neutrals who actually know when they see top class football would have been super impressed by Geelongs performance

A couple of other points- Mitch Duncan tackle to start the 3rd qtr - re McCartin who is a big bloke - that was a ripper tackle - can a tackle be exciting - well that was - and rendered the tackled player useless and then kicked the goal

Having watched alot of GFs - the big 3rd qtr - the big momentum shift ( even though we were well in front at h/t) i think that is exciting . Iknow we were on the end of one with Matera - but i think if you are a neutral and there is a huge 3rd qtr by one team - i think that is exciting

Not being arrogant - but that 2nd half by Geel was just domination - that half by the Cats was about the best half re skill and just clinical display - the Swans just couldnt get or win the ball

Theres 80 pts wins - and you can get soft goals etc - so its not really that flash - but that was a ruthless dominating 80 pt plus win - i cant think of a better team performance by the Cats than that for a fair while - so its great its happened in the GF - it really gives the brand of the Geel Football Club a huge lift . Neutrals who actually know when they see top class football would have been super impressed by Geelongs performance

A couple of other points- Mitch Duncan tackle to start the 3rd qtr - re McCartin who is a big bloke - that was a ripper tackle - can a tackle be exciting - well that was - and rendered the tackled player useless and then kicked the goal

Having watched alot of GFs - the big 3rd qtr - the big momentum shift ( even though we were well in front at h/t) i think that is exciting . Iknow we were on the end of one with Matera - but i think if you are a neutral and there is a huge 3rd qtr by one team - i think that is exciting
Totally agree. To me it felt like a more emphatic victory than the 07 GF.

Some of the swans players looked genuinely violated after the game, and most of them looked like they were in a daze after about half time. Sydney are a proud team so I imagine having their heart ripped out with little struggle like that will probably take a while for them to move on from. It wasn't just a physical domination, it was mental as well, Sydney had absolutely no answers to anything we did. I cant recall Geelong so effectively bullying another team another like that for quite some time. I almost feel sorry for them.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's a big call. What makes you say that?
It's a huge call. Even I questioned why I thought that to be the case, given the 07 margin was an extra 38 pts.

Firstly, 81 pts is a huge margin but we probably should have won by even more. 6 or 7 of our missed shots were from very gettable angles.

Secondly, our ferocity and tackling pressure is something that wasn't present in our mighty 07-11 sides. We just brutalised them at every contest. Even when tackled we forced our way out of it and kept moving the ball forward. It was men vs boys stuff.

Thirdly, you could see Sydney trying to work their way back into the game. However, everytime they did we'd shut any potential play down with a strong tackle by Kolo, Duncan, O'connor or intercepting mark by De koning, Henry.

Whilst Sydney obviously could have played much better, I didn't think it was as much a case of 'not showing up to play' as Port Adelaide were.

Of course, all of this could very much be recent bias, but it's just the feeling I had watching the game.

Some of the swans players looked genuinely violated after the game, and most of them looked like they were in a daze after about half time. Sydney are a proud team so I imagine having their heart ripped out with little struggle like that will probably take a while for them to move on from. It wasn't just a physical domination, it was mental as well, Sydney had absolutely no answers to anything we did. I cant recall Geelong so effectively bullying another team another like that for quite some time. I almost feel sorry for them.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We jumped them in the first , second was even - they were probably optimistic about the second half.
Our 3rd was total domination at 39 points to one - we only allowed them 4 inside 50's for the quarter :eek:
Being there you could see our intensity at the contest and man all over the field , all game - that's the most ruthless I've seen us for an awfully long time :thumbsu: Didn't let them kick 2 in a row all game.
We didn't buy in to any pre match push and shove - all our players kept focus on the centre of the ground - great to witness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread GEELONG WINS 2022 GRAND FINAL BY PLENTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back