Opinion Geelong's era of dominance over

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it extraordinary that they had the chance to make the ground dimensions the same as the MCG with the rebuilding of GMHBA.... yet they kept it as is.

Huge oversight

No it was deliberate. Absolutely no shame, should’ve done what WC did.

They'll win the flag in 2024 and go all the way this year. No doubt about it. A class above everyone else
The flag will come from Sydney/ Carlton who are a class above other teams, with Freo as a smokey if they get a Perth QF/PF and a favourable GF match up.

Geelong are up there on the ladder, as are the Bombers, but I'd happily bank on it now they aren't going to win the flag.

TBH the Swans and Blues have the right mix this year and I find it hard to see anyone else getting through them both in finals / GF.

The flag will come from Sydney/ Carlton who are a class above other teams, with Freo as a smokey if they get a Perth QF/PF and a favourable GF match up.

Geelong are up there on the ladder, as are the Bombers, but I'd happily bank on it now they aren't going to win the flag.

TBH the Swans and Blues have the right mix this year and I find it hard to see anyone else getting through them both in finals / GF.

I agree Sydney/Carlton are a class above right now but I'd argue Geelong are looking the best of the rest (or very close).

Form can change in a month or two so it's not written in stone that Sydney/Carlton will be the best teams in September or that Geelong will do anything but make up the numbers. But I'd say Geelong's form is trending in the right direction and we look a strong chance for a top 4 finish. That's a nice platform to wage a finals campaign and then... maybe the stars will align.

Do you think the Sun revolves around the earth too? Geez this is what I’m talking about with Geelong supporters.
You could make that exact statement for melbourne teams claiming the mcg is the best dimensions.

I base my point on objective reasoning. Football is a far more interesting game when its one of meterage and the game is played far more direct which is what long thin grounds encourage. Where it takes a number of plays to get the ball from one end to the other.

Longer grounds also make it harder to flood as its further for players to run from one end to another.

Its also far better when the wings are small. Wide wings encourage sideways chip kicking which is just effing boring to watch.

There are just so many reasons why a long thin ground is better for afl football. I seriously think they should add 10 metres to each end of the mcg and narrow the ground by bringing the seats in to compensate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could make that exact statement for melbourne teams claiming the mcg is the best dimensions.

I base my point on objective reasoning. Football is a far more interesting game when its one of meterage and the game is played far more direct which is what long thin grounds encourage. Where it takes a number of plays to get the ball from one end to the other.

Longer grounds also make it harder to flood as its further for players to run from one end to another.

Its also far better when the wings are small. Wide wings encourage sideways chip kicking which is just effing boring to watch.

There are just so many reasons why a long thin ground is better for afl football. I seriously think they should add 10 metres to each end of the mcg and narrow the ground by bringing the seats in to compensate.

MCG is known as the home of football they aren’t going to downgrade it to be like yours. It’s the biggest and the best.

I would say that you are probably bias given the majority of non-Geelong fans probably don't agree.

Regardless, which is more optimal however is pointless, as I don't see the AFL ever unifying oval dimensions for match play, which means we're always going to be dealing with nuanced differences between venues.

I would say that you are probably bias given the majority of non-Geelong fans probably don't agree.

Regardless, which is more optimal however is pointless, as I don't see the AFL ever unifying oval dimensions for match play, which means we're always going to be dealing with nuanced differences between venues.
They deal with it well enough in "the world game", football (soccer). And in cricket.

But AFL supporters are by far the biggest cry babies out of any sporting code on the planet. So the complaining will continue.

They deal with it well enough in "the world game", football (soccer). And in cricket.

But AFL supporters are by far the biggest cry babies out of any sporting code on the planet. So the complaining will continue.
I reckon sports at the pro level should have unified dimensions, but it's not a hill I'd die on.

Opinion Geelong's era of dominance over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back