No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about John Longmire and coach of the year Leather Poisoning and it made me chuckle because when they were 0-6 it was because of all the players that were missing - we heard it again and again, so I really don't see what he's actually done to warrant the award.

Oh I agree Geelong have done well for themselves - by throwing away their future on a handful of mature-age mercenaries who'll allow them to make up the numbers a little while longer. Meanwhile their youth is close to the worst in the league and depth wafer thin.

All they've done is push the cliff wall back a few years, but by doing so their plunge off the edge will be all the more ghastly and crawling back up the other slower & more painful.

Funny, these things have been said about Hawthorn too when we recruited hale, Lake, Burgoyne, etc

Hawks supporters should know better than most that a full rebuild is not necessary. Geelong recruit for need, that's why they're doing so well atm. Menegola is a great example of this. Second best run club in the league (after ours). They've also filtered on young players post 2011,evolving their team over time like we are now .in many ways over the years our list strategy has copied Geelong's,and you can see we're finishing where they did two years ago.

I don't like them, but they are the football club I respect most (after our own!). If they win this year they have every right to be considered equal with us as best team of the 21st century., maybe us winning 3 in a row just would keep us ahead.

That said, I really hope they don't. Want us to keep our standing as clearly the best in the 21st century!

As long as it's not Geelong or Sydney I'm fine with it.

Would be good to see Adelaide win it. They've been through some pretty heavy shit. They've lost a lot of players. They've never bottomed out.

Richmond won't win. When they played us it was really reminiscent of how the doggies played in the finals last year, but I don't think they'll sustain it.

Sydney could win it and that would be so crap. Already reading things about Longmire should get coach of the year. I love Buddy and would love to see him kick some bags in September but would like him to do an Ablett Senior and get a norm in a losing grand final team. He deserves the individual accolades but don't want the swans winning.

And Geelong - well. What more do I have to say? Despite never going back to back (let alone twice) the debate would reopen that they somehow achieved more than us. 4 flags each since 2007. Even though we did it in 8 and their's would be spread across 11 seasons people would try and hold them up in higher regard than us. We can't have that.
Agree with all of that. Unfortunately Geelong couldn't be positioned better.

I think we want Richmond to win today. Despite their terrible record against Geelong and their flakey history, I think Tigers at the G are a better chance than Giants at Skilled. Week 2 Swans v Cats semi final is what we want to see.

Richmond's MCG record has been excellent this year, Geelong's has been patchy.

Richmond winning today will also sentence Essendon to guaranteed elimination against the Swans.

I'd like West Coast to sneak into 8th at the expense of Melbourne just for the lols given the hype around the Dees this year. Plus it means I will get to watch at least 1 more Sammy Mitchell game.

S
Geelong perfectly positioned unfortunately. Won't have to leave Victoria and have a good record against Giants, Richmond and Adelaide.
Depends if they lose the QF, they will than most likely have to travel to adelaide for the prelim. They are strong favourites however so your probably right.

Wow.
Their defensive set up has revolved around them 2 for a long time. Always those two blocking for each other (against the rules, but it's Geelong)
Will be very interesting
With those two retiring who will hold the backline together next year, if you know what i mean. ;)

Last edited:
1. GWS. Nobody cares and the AFL might finally start to restrict all their concessions.
2. Tigers - the fans will be difficult but they have suffered long enough. Won't happen though.
3. Port - won't happen but I could tolerate them
4. Crows - Far enough away to be almost bearable.

Eagles - won't happen
Saints - won't happen

Asteroid destroys the earth / Jesus comes back / Australia is submerged by water / Armageddon starts and footy season called off

- Daylight -

Swans

- Daylight -

Cats or the other Drug Cheats

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this was a pretty ordinary homage tbh. Seemed like a bit of an afterthought and characterizing him as "pest" rather than a Brownlow medalist and premiership captain seemed an odd choice to me. Its just a shame that Mitch wasn't out there next to Hodge on Friday night rather than not knowing his fate at Subiaco. It may be sacrilegious to say out loud but I rank him above Hodge on our list of greatest players (the best I have seen anyway) and consider him significantly more crucial to the four flags.

It has saddened me all week seysearles that Mitch didn't get the send off that hodge and to a lesser degree Gibbo did. He should of been out there on Friday night sharing the moment with them. I suppose I console myself with the fact that Mitch could of said no and played the year out a hawk but instead thought of the future rather than the now.

Mitch will always be a hawk, it's just a matter of how much it's hurt him as to how his feeling right about now

I thought this was a pretty ordinary homage tbh. Seemed like a bit of an afterthought and characterizing him as "pest" rather than a Brownlow medalist and premiership captain seemed an odd choice to me. Its just a shame that Mitch wasn't out there next to Hodge on Friday night rather than not knowing his fate at Subiaco. It may be sacrilegious to say out loud but I rank him above Hodge on our list of greatest players (the best I have seen anyway) and consider him significantly more crucial to the four flags.

I reakon the thinking behind that was to paint an image of Mitch not so much in the football light, but as a character, a mate, a leader and just as a great man. We all know his outstanding footballing abilities and achievements, and they have been well documented, so to see a more personal homage was quite refreshing and allows a glimpse of Sam Mitchell the person more-so than the footballer

I'm watching the Richmond v St.Kilda game, and they cross to the Essendon game to show poor old Timmy Watson celebrating making the finals. The comments were along the lines of "Isn't is great, after ALL they've been through". What is wrong with the media? Does it ever enter their thick heads that Essendon brought it all upon themselves? All this Essendon sympathy is driving me nuts. :mad:

Last edited:
A stray elbow from Martin in is the game wouldn't go astray. Reckon it would almost definitely result in a Tom "Bradbury" Mitchell Brownlow.

I honestly don't understand the media lovefest over essendon making the finals. Twitter is full of them saying how great a story it is that they've made the finals and what a great effort it is from winning the spoon last year.

Do they not realise they got a easy run, number 1 pick and a heap of senior players back that didn't play last year?

I honestly don't understand the media lovefest over essendon making the finals. Twitter is full of them saying how great a story it is that they've made the finals and what a great effort it is from winning the spoon last year.

Do they not realise they got a easy run, number 1 pick and a heap of senior players back that didn't play last year?

They've obviously been told what to say by the AFL. This is the type of thing that pisses me off with footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back