No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I’m angry because I know this poor standard will continue into Sundays game and to the detriment of the Hawks. North are the biggest nigglers in the comp so the AFL will introduce the argy bargy rule after its 7 day hiatus.
The standard really has gone down a few levels from last year and the AFL should be worried but won’t be of course.
Of course they won’t because they keep saying the decisions paid are correct. In other words, they’re totally ruining the game as we know it.

Last edited:
51 free kicks
Whistle happy
No where near enough. The more the players break the rules the more the free kick isn't paid so you want crap footy this
is a good starting point. Umpires are terrified of paying too many free kicks (whatever that means) so it becomes open slather
and God forbid you don't want to be first to the ball.

The AFL needs to throw coin at blokes being delisted in their mid 20s to fast track them into umpiring. These clowns umpiring today have absolutely no feel for the game. The Henderson deliberate last week when it clearly skewed off the side of the boot demonstrated a complete lack of any idea. There’s no way over half of them have ever played any sort of footy
Yet last night, Taylor miskicked and the ball bounced just before the line before going out.......throw in. WTF???

Agree in part - the problem is, it's not just Sicily. What Stringer did was vastly worse than eg. O'Meara. Sticking your knee into a prone player and roughing him up, all while preventing him from taking his free kick - no penalty. Giving someone a shove to the chest - 12-point turnover. Or use the even worse case in the Port game. It's not just about Sicily. It's the AFL doing it's usual "let's enforce one concept to a silly degree for one week", the same way that the police like to have a blitz on stupid stuff like "let's fine jaywalkers at one intersection on one lunchtime".
No one ever admits they were wrong and that it's had a negative effect on the game despite the obvious effects. I am in disbelief the ridiculous sliding rule is still in effect stopping players from diving for the footy. A ton of my favourite plays of all time are now illegal, the AFL has an obsession with making the 'product' better and overreacting to single incidents, it does not understand it has made it worse and unless something needs to be fixed, bloody don't.

The AFL can't afford to crack down on throws because doing so would increase congestion. Frees would be paid, and play would stop. Allowing pseudo-handballs (blatant throws) helps teams move the ball under pressure quickly, thereby increasing scoring opportunities which are already at a 50+ year low.

I despise watching so many players get away with blatant chucking as you do, but the TV Networks would never allow the AFL to crack down on throwing until scoring levels have increased substantially. Whatever puts the most money in their pockets is the only concern left in this "entertainment product".
This is so incorrect.

Free kicks spread the field and frees up congestion.

Allowing continuous play with dinky hand throws and balls being spilt from tackles compresses the field and encourages congestion.

When Stringer clotheslined Jetta then got in his grill while he was flat on his back, that was enough for me as far as watching the game went.

One week open hand pushes to the chest in one game are a free kick reversal , 50 and gimme goal .
5 days later that stuff gets nothing

Went old school and listened to the radio after that and probably will until our game Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Stringer clotheslined Jetta then got in his grill while he was flat on his back, that was enough for me as far as watching the game went.

One week open hand pushes to the chest in one game are a free kick reversal , 50 and gimme goal .
5 days later that stuff gets nothing

Went old school and listened to the radio after that and probably will until our game Sunday.

If the umpires have an unwritten ‘flog’ rule I can see why sic is in there, but why isn’t Stringer?

View attachment 649014

Am I the only one that noticed this during the game LOL the cheaters are player with a Extra player on field

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I must be missing something here. Not sure what you're trying to show with this picture. I count 7v7 in picture and it still doesn't show who's on the rest of the ground.
Read the signage.

Clearly advertising on the signboards is worthwhile then.

Get rid of it.

Has the 666 rule flaw highlighted last night been mentioned yet. If you do an interchange when they're setting up after a goal you can get stuck with 17 men or fewer because the interchange player/s can't get to where they're supposed to be. Hilarity ensues as umpires count the sheep. The 666 rule is crap and it must go.

One of the things I found amusing last night was that Carey was clearly getting annoyed by the umpiring, but BT was not going to be moved from the established commentary playbook.

Carey must be fuming. With these rules he'd have kicked 150 goals every season without breaking a sweat.

Has the 666 rule flaw highlighted last night been mentioned yet. If you do an interchange when they're setting up after a goal you can get stuck with 17 men or fewer because the interchange player/s can't get to where they're supposed to be. Hilarity ensues as umpires count the sheep. The 666 rule is crap and it must go.
You could have your far wing (relative to interchange bench) off the ground and then as soon as the ball is bounced have them burst onto the ground. This gives you a 2v1 on one side of the ground and if a team is doing it intentionally I'm sure they could set up at the centre bounce to try and force the clearance out to that wing.

Now it may not work out to advantage in practice, but the point is that the rule can be clearly exploited to defeat the purpose of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back