No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please add anyone who overuses the word 'literally' particularly in reference to something that could only have a literal meaning. Also anyone who has any kind of belief in astrology. Yes I am very aware I am coming hard at Gen Z.

Add to that:

"In my personal opinion..."

Add to that:

"In my personal opinion..."

Really haven't seen that one used to the point of wanting to stick a pencil in your brain, but I will take your word for it.

In that vain though - I am absolutely here to put people who say 'that's my truth' on the list.

Really haven't seen that one used to the point of wanting to stick a pencil in your brain, but I will take your word for it.

In that vain though - I am absolutely here to put people who say 'that's my truth' on the list.
Can we add in people who attack those that give us intel in good faith?

Anyone who gets angry at your training reports could go on the list.....
I get angry that I'm not there to see it for myself. Does that count?

For me it's like, is there a different type??? (Bic heads close to iris....)

Gary Buckenara has done his analysis of the Dog's list.

They have 9 A graders, 14 B graders and 6 potential A/B graders which include Bailey Smith, Naughton, Ugle-Hagen and Weightman.

Hawthorn is assessed to have 2 A graders, 12 B and about4-5 potential A/B's.

Can't believe we beat them! IMO Bucky has about as much credibility as David King. Whatever happened to Terry Wallet - the List Manager?

They have 9 A graders, 14 B graders and 6 potential A/B graders which include Bailey Smith, Naughton, Ugle-Hagen and Weightman.

Can't believe we beat them! IMO Bucky has about as much credibility as David King. Whatever happened to Terry Wallet - the List Manager?

Remind me again where we finished on the ladder while the Dogs made a grand final.

People really need to stop claiming these late season wins as some evidence that we weren’t a team that finished 14th with a percentage of 85%. Bucky’s assessment is spot on. We have some potential on the list - but do you honestly think we have some list chock full of A graders when we have just finished in the bottom third of the ladder for two successive seasons?

Remind me again where we finished on the ladder while the Dogs made a grand final.

People really need to stop claiming these late season wins as some evidence that we weren’t a team that finished 14th with a percentage of 85%. Bucky’s assessment is spot on. We have some potential on the list - but do you honestly think we have some list chock full of A graders when we have just finished in the bottom third of the ladder for two successive seasons?
Shows to me that having a list full of A Graders means f-all if you don't make a good team - that may finish high or low on the ladder.

Well we must have finished right on top of the ladder based off that one-off game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said.

It wasn’t just a win, it was a total strangulation of their style. Hawks did the same in the pre season too

in that hawks side:

early draft picks traded in from other clubs: O’Meara, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Mitchell, Scrimshaw, Wingard (and Phillips original pick 58)
Rookie draftees traded in (or PSD)from other clubs: Ceglar, Frost, Hartigan
Rookie picks by Hawthorn: Hanrahan, Nash
Pre season or mid season drafts: Bramble, Newcombe

Drafted by Hawthorn: Brockman (46), Downie (35), Hardwick (44), Howe (31), O’Brien (28) ,Koschitzke (52), Lewis (76), Shiels, Morris (57), Morrison (74), Moore (67), Worpel (45)

of course Gunston, Bruest, DGB, CJ, Day, Reeves, Impey, Sicily, Maginness did not play.

while your comments are valid, the difference in draft capital compared to the doggies that day is stark. I think it indicates good depth well balanced age wise

Last edited:
It wasn’t just a win, it was a total strangulation of their style. Hawks did the same in the pre season too

in that hawks side:

early draft picks traded in from other clubs: O’Meara, Burgoyne, McEvoy, Mitchell, Scrimshaw, Wingard (and Phillips original pick 58)
Rookie draftees traded in (or PSD)from other clubs: Ceglar, Frost, Hartigan
Rookie picks by Hawthorn: Hanrahan, Nash
Pre season or mid season drafts: Bramble, Newcombe

Drafted by Hawthorn: Brockman (46), Downie (35), Hardwick (44), Howe (31), O’Brien (28) ,Koschitzke (52), Lewis (76), Shiels, Morris (57), Morrison (74), Moore (67), Worpel (45)

of course Gunston, Bruest, DGB, Day, Reeves, Impey, Sicily, Maginness did not play.

while your comments are valid, the difference in draft capital compared to the doggies that day is stark. I think it indicates good depth well balanced age wise

So effectively you’ve just said there was a gulf in talent between the two sides - which is precisely what Bucky has pointed out.

The phrase one swallow does not make a summer rings true. We had an emotionally charged team coming up against sides in a slump. Same false dawn happened in 2019 - we had a good mid season run with wins over Collingwood who were a top 4 side and Geelong who ended up minor premiers and in the last 3 rounds we had good wins over GWS who went on to make the grand final and defending premiers West Coast who we deprived of a top 4 spot. All the talk was when we get Mitchell back we were set. Remind me again how we finished up in the following seasons?

Thinking we are remotely close with the Bulldogs list-wise because we had a pre-season win and upset H&A win over them is honestly in stark contrast with your username and the most blissful, myopic optimism. We have some good young talent I agree, but we are really not in a position to get all bent out of shape when astute judges of talent in our sport correctly assess our list - an assessment that absolutely fits out ladder position and club openly admitting we are in a rebuild.

Shows to me that having a list full of A Graders means f-all if you don't make a good team - that may finish high or low on the ladder.

Exactly how are the Bulldogs not a good team?

So effectively you’ve just said there was a gulf in talent between the two sides - which is precisely what Bucky has pointed out.

The phrase one swallow does not make a summer rings true. We had an emotionally charged team coming up against sides in a slump. Same false dawn happened in 2019 - we had a good mid season run with wins over Collingwood who were a top 4 side and Geelong who ended up minor premiers and in the last 3 rounds we had good wins over GWS who went on to make the grand final and defending premiers West Coast who we deprived of a top 4 spot. All the talk was when we get Mitchell back we were set. Remind me again how we finished up in the following seasons?

Thinking we are remotely close with the Bulldogs list-wise because we had a pre-season win and upset H&A win over them is honestly in stark contrast with your username and the most blissful, myopic optimism. We have some good young talent I agree, but we are really not in a position to get all bent out of shape when astute judges of talent in our sport correctly assess our list - an assessment that absolutely fits out ladder position and club openly admitting we are in a rebuild.

It wasn’t an upset win it was a total denial of the way they wanted to play. I only Said it indicated good depth not an abundance of A graders - we need those too.
Younger teams taking down finalists is often a precursor to a team rising

and yes we have been rebuilding for at least 2 years now. It’s no secret. It doesn’t mean we need lots more years in the bottom 4 though. Looking at AFL clubs generally an extended bottom run leads to a subsequent long time before being premiership material, if at all

four of our top players and another four we expect to be in our top players did not play.

Last edited:

Fair enough from Bucky, could be the reason the Dogs made a Grand Final and we finished 14th. Our list does need lots of work.

Exactly how are the Bulldogs not a good team?
Didn't they drop 5 of their last 10 or something (should've been another vs Brisbane)?

OK, I guess they can be both 'good' & very vulnerable at once, but that kinda detracts from the 'good team' bit.

Didn't they drop 5 of their last 10 or something (should've been another vs Brisbane)?

OK, I guess they can be both 'good' & very vulnerable at once, but that kinda detracts from the 'good team' bit.

Well if they’re not a very good side and vulnerable it doesn’t say much that we beat them then.

It wasn’t an upset win it was a total denial of the way they wanted to play. I only Said it indicated good depth not an abundance of A graders - we need those too.
Younger teams taking down finalists is often a precursor to a team rising

and yes we have been rebuilding for at least 2 years now. It’s no secret. It doesn’t mean we need lots more years in the bottom 4 though. Looking at AFL clubs generally an extended bottom run leads to a subsequent long time before being premiership material, if at all

four of our top players and another four we expect to be in our top players did not play.

Yes, it was an upset win. We were a bottom of the ladder side beating a side in the top 4. That’s the very definition of an upset win - the method of victory really doesn’t matter. Was it an impressive win - absolutey. Was it proof that we have a side replete with A grade talent? No, it wasn’t. Looking at one win in isolation as some kind of proof that most of the rest of our season didn’t happen is a tad naive. Some of our football in 2021 was just deplorable. There’s a reason we were still sitting in 17th spot from round 8-20. There is absolutely some hope and some good young kids there - but it’s genuinely bizarre that someone (not you) would have a whinge about Bucky’s assessment when the season’s results and our respective finishing positions absolute back up Bucky’s assessment.

Probably says they're vulnerable & not a 'very good' side :shrug:

Okay, so if we beat them it doesn’t indicate our side is full of A graders and Bucky is still correct in his list assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back