No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes could still be a top 4 team once they lose Cameron and get ppl playing together. Clarkson a great fit...they r prob short some KPP...but nothing some Marketing $$$ can't fix.

I recently saw the idea that we should not trade for Tasmanian players…

Why: if the Hawks develop a good player from Tasmania and then the AFL bring in a Tasmanian team …. that player will be highly encouraged (read given lots of money) to go back to Tassie.

Is this idea worth considering?

(rewritten)

Last edited:

Going to make a bit of a different take here re umpires etc.

I'm not going to blame the umpires, they're under instruction to pay 50 at the slightest inkling of a disagreement. I'm sure they all reckon it's a load of wank anyway.

Umpires are already ostracised as it is. Like it or not it's part of Australian culture, particularly in football, to hate "the man" enforcing the rules. Umpires having to pay these 50s is further ostracising them and it's no wonder there's not many young boys and girls wanting to umpire.

The direction from Brad Scott et al. is further perpetuating this umpire disrespect and contempt off the field, in the media, around the local footy club, and taking the complete opposite direction intended - disrespect and contempt.

I'm not blaming the umpires, they're the messengers. I'm not going to pretend I have a solution to the grass roots umpiring crisis but this isn't it. There needs to be a more collaborative approach.
It’s so simple to me, just hire any ex footy player as an umpire, must of played minimum 5 years in any division 1 to afl. Then hire more pay them well, make them full time and reduce the running so they each get 1/3 of the ground, and only have to move in a slight jog if required but goal is to walk.

Then allow discussion from senior leaders to talk about calls on game day and anything obstructive is a 50m. This way any other non senior leader that try’s to talk to the umpire is also dealt with on the field and by the coaches of said team.

But afl management seems determined to come up with the most Idiotic umpire respect rules that just make everything worst and harder for the umpires.

The funniest part to me is what made Brad Scott qualified for this role, surely an ex afl umpire would be far more qualified and have better understanding of the nuances of game day umpiring then Brad who can’t even buy a nice shirt - unless it’s intentional or are they really that poorly run?

I recently saw the idea that we should not trade for Tasmanian players…

Why:if we develop a good player then that player will be taken when the AFL given the high money the AFL for players to be in the new Tassie leugue.

Am I wrong?
I'm a Tasmanian but let's be honest, that's not restricting the options much!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I for one would like to see the umpires almost go the other way. Would love nothing more than an umpy telling Porkins to get up and stop flailing like a ballet dancer or similar. Then you'd see the staging stop.

Agreed. In Rugby Union, if the ref sees a player take a dive they tell them to go play soccer. The contempt for diving is reinforced.

It’s so simple to me, just hire any ex footy player as an umpire, must of played minimum 5 years in any division 1 to afl. Then hire more pay them well, make them full time and reduce the running so they each get 1/3 of the ground, and only have to move in a slight jog if required but goal is to walk.

Then allow discussion from senior leaders to talk about calls on game day and anything obstructive is a 50m. This way any other non senior leader that try’s to talk to the umpire is also dealt with on the field and by the coaches of said team.

But afl management seems determined to come up with the most Idiotic umpire respect rules that just make everything worst and harder for the umpires.

The funniest part to me is what made Brad Scott qualified for this role, surely an ex afl umpire would be far more qualified and have better understanding of the nuances of game day umpiring then Brad who can’t even buy a nice shirt - unless it’s intentional or are they really that poorly run?
Wasn’t it to save north money because they were paying out his contract until the afl role was there? So afl reduce money paid to povvo club that povvo club pays Brad; and have to have someone in umpires role anyway so no difference in afl budget from employing him

I for one would like to see the umpires almost go the other way. Would love nothing more than an umpy telling Porkins to get up and stop flailing like a ballet dancer or similar. Then you'd see the staging stop.
The only way to do that is to introduce a VAR type review for every decision which would be farcical.

It’s easy to point it out in the replay but I was at the ground and thought it was a push in live play until we saw the slowed down replays. It’s easy to blame to umps for falling for staging but it’s an incredibly hard game to officiate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just quietly the Saints are 5-1.

Hmmm... we better add them to the debate about which team has the greatest era in the 21st Century.
Brisbane 2001-2004. 27%
Geelong 2007-2011. 13%
Hawthorn 2012-2015. 36%
Richmond 2017-2020. 23%.
Or St Kilda R2-6 of 2022. .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

I'm waiting for the first instance of a player standing behind an umpire when he plays a free kick for HIS team and he says "That's bullshit!"

And earns a fifty for his team.

I'm waiting for the first instance of a player standing behind an umpire when he plays a free kick for HIS team and he says "That's bullshit!"

Dangerfield for sure

I'm waiting for a player to put their hands out to defend the mark and then while looking around doing so getting mistaken by the umpire for dissent.

Any man-on-the-mark could potentially be penalized for putting his hands up.

The whole thing is the greatest farce I can remember. April Fools Day has apparently been extended this year.

Any man-on-the-mark could potentially be penalized for putting his hands up.

The whole thing is the greatest farce I can remember. April Fools Day has apparently been extended this year.
Bastards even show dissent for themselves:
maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back