No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #10 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what is the optimal number of free kicks in a game.

If there are 60 infringements in a game, shouldn't 60 free kicks be paid? I don't think 'over umpiring' (I'd prefer to call it paying the free kicks which are there) should be a problem. The problem is created if umpires are encouraged to reduce the number of free kicks because of perceptions of over umpiring. This can only lead to inconsistencies as some infringements will be free-kicked & then if the number of free kicks is mounting up, the umpires will start using their own discretion, e.g. "that was high contact, but only marginally high so I will let it go". Yet in the 1st quarter a similar tackle is paid as a free kick. This just sets the umpires up for criticism, when the real issue lies with what directions are coming from the AFL.

History tells us that players will adjust their game accordingly if they are being consistently free-kicked for infringements, particularly if those free kicks are resulting in goals to the opposition.

Simple maths says that the more free kicks that are paid in a game the less important they are to the result.

You watch games in the 70s and free kicks were paid very regularly. Made the game flow and at the same time it made the free kicks less 'important'. There was another one around the corner.

Now, with so few free kicks in some games they take on a much greater importance than they should. It makes the umpires more important than they should be.

Simple solution it to tell the umpires to ramp up the free kicks.

**** me ... I remember ... can't think what year it was ... Carlton V Collingwood at the G .... last round of the season .... Fev layed down at the point post ... then got up and moved to the goal square ... and lied down ..... FOR A FULL QUARTER.

Please don't lump Hmac with that crap.
**** me ... I remember ... can't think what year it was ... Carlton V Collingwood at the G .... last round of the season .... Fev layed down at the point post ... then got up and moved to the goal square ... and lied down ..... FOR A FULL QUARTER.

Please don't lump Hmac with that crap.

Hmmm, lay down for a full quarter? You mean figuratively right. Look, Harry could be anything, from dud to the KPP monster we’ve craved. Yes, it’s early days, yes I’ve been harsh. I want him to earn it and I hope he does. So for my own sanity as much as others I’ll keep my thoughts to myself for now and if he breaks through this year will humbly accept I am wrong and enjoy the ride.

The AFL bang on about runners on the ground, number of interchanges, in all honesty while at the game watching I hardly notice, except when a player kicks a goal they take him off. WTF? I do not understand that, it is detrimental to the team as the player is on a high and confidence is up.

Rule changes should occur every 2 years and the game should not be tinkered with every season, allow it to settle and let the umpires get used to the changes. The umpires should be professional and rules need to be more black and white with less grey areas. (interpretation). I mean seriously, nominating for the ruck is Auskick stuff.

Hmmm, lay down for a full quarter? You mean figuratively right. Look, Harry could be anything, from dud to the KPP monster we’ve craved. Yes, it’s early days, yes I’ve been harsh. I want him to earn it and I hope he does. So for my own sanity as much as others I’ll keep my thoughts to myself for now and if he breaks through this year will humbly accept I am wrong and enjoy the ride.

Nope he was literally laying down.

No other player has been as consistently elite as Buddy the last 10 years.

It's remarkable.
makes you wonder why richmond passed on him........

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ttee-to-control-the-game-20180321-p4z5gc.html
The AFL will on Wednesday afternoon explain the process for appointing members of its new super panel, which will control the game's biggest issues.
The panel, which The Age understands has been named the "competition committee", has asked all 18 clubs to submit its internal recommendations by March 29.

Senior coaches, players, football managers, list managers and chief executives will all be eligible, while AFL executives will also be appointed.
The AFL has not set a limit on the number of people on the new committee, but it is believed the preference is for it to have about 12 members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple maths says that the more free kicks that are paid in a game the less important they are to the result.

You watch games in the 70s and free kicks were paid very regularly. Made the game flow and at the same time it made the free kicks less 'important'. There was another one around the corner.

Now, with so few free kicks in some games they take on a much greater importance than they should. It makes the umpires more important than they should be.

Simple solution it to tell the umpires to ramp up the free kicks.

Wow the ole rope a dope ... I love it.

The AFL bang on about runners on the ground, number of interchanges, in all honesty while at the game watching I hardly notice, except when a player kicks a goal they take him off. WTF? I do not understand that, it is detrimental to the team as the player is on a high and confidence is up.
I think you'll find this is after a running goal, or a gut bursting effort from the player to open up the play. They generally need the rest.

Bit harsh putting Mckay in Fevola territory re-body language . Doesnt come anywhere near Fevola on that topic . He's played 2 games of senior regular season footy . Looked quite good v brisbane then injury struck again . Probably need to give him some more time before making those kind of statements yeah ?

McKay currently averages more goals per game than any other player on our list. ;)

Desperately Seeking KreuzFan

Mad Blues fan seeks fellow Carlton devotees to attend Ghost of Princes Park tour.

Must love Carlton, club history, Tony de Bolfo, smelly locker rooms, dank staircases (but not dodgy Dank briefcases), spelling Princes with only one S and meeting fellow weirdos from the interwebz. Repertoire of dad jokes and cheese puns is preferred but not essential.

PM for details.

Any takers?

Didn't think so...

Any takers?

Didn't think so...

Have started up a convo with a couple of interested posters. We're about to lock in dates.

So, anyone interested in the Ghosts of Princes Park tour, now's the time to let me know.

SBYM: if you fly down from London and come along, I'll buy you a cold beer. :thumbsu:

Have started up a convo with a couple of interested posters. We're about to lock in dates.

So, anyone interested in the Ghosts of Princes Park tour, now's the time to let me know.

SBYM: if you fly down from London and come along, I'll buy you a cold beer. :thumbsu:
I wanna come! But can you veto the PMers and make sure there's no murderers first?

I wanna come! But can you veto the PMers and make sure there's no murderers first?

I checked.

They're just petty thieves, con artists, two swindlers and one person convicted of vacuuming their house after nightly noise curfew.

You know, the crème de la crème of Big Footy.

That speaks volumes about where their 2nd and 3rd year mids are at.

I feel we made an error by de-listing Holman.
Could have held onto Nick and not worried about Gallucci, but not to be.

Reckon he could have been a role player for us and possibly more valuable, even in the lower league, than several we have on the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back