No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't like it. Building a list that could win a premiership before the season is one hell of an achievement.

Now you can essentially have teams buy a premiership. It'll be interesting to see what value the selling clubs place on prospective players.

I think it could benefit both trading partners

As an example, Carlton want a gun ish KPD due to injury, which could be the difference heading into the pointy end of finals and or window

Club not in finals same year or in the short- medium term get paid overs for said player

For me, this statement from the article highlights my #1 concern...

But if that player was instrumental in winning a flag for their new team only months later – with their wage over the salary cap – it would go against every current principle of competitive balance.

I guess I am a traditionalist, and I like loyalty and rewarding teams who plan for contingencies. Under a mid-season draft scenario, a club can mess things up a little, get a KP injury without a backup player and ultimately trade their way out of the mess and potentially go on to win a premiership.

Or worse... what if a team, say the Pies, was able to go over the salary cap and mortgage future trades to secure a Ben King type (and maybe more players) and they go on to win the premiership by a few points? You could argue King was the difference and they have gone over the salary cap (legally) to do it. Essentially it is buying a premiership. The downside is they likely pay overs (give up high future picks) and have to find $$ for the next year... but with a number of aging stars - what would they care? Just bank another premiership while you can and deal with consequences later.

I know that the list management view of the world inevitably treats players as interchangeable widgets, at least to some extent, but speaking as a fan, this move takes that way of thinking further than I would like.

When someone can jump ship or get shopped around mid-season, it reduces the commitment of players to clubs, clubs to players, and fans to players. Does it bring a big enough benefit to offset those losses? I'm not convinced.

Seems like the biggest beneficiaries will be all the media outlets who now get two trade-related silly seasons every year instead of just one.

Not sure where this belongs, AFL just released the organised official match sims days/times info, as well as the following week of preseason practice matches…

Interesting scheduling for a few teams in the number of days between both games, though most games are pretty close/even…

Be interesting to see how we approach it…

COLL 8days RICH 9days
CARL 6 MELB 10
SYD 7 BRIS 7
GWS 7 GCS 7
GEE 8 ESS 7
PORT 7 FREM 6
ADEL 8 WCE 7
HAW 8 WBD 8
STK 11 NTH 13

Not sure where this belongs, AFL just released the organised official match sims days/times info, as well as the following week of preseason practice matches…

Interesting scheduling for a few teams in the number of days between both games, though most games are pretty close/even…

Be interesting to see how we approach it…

COLL 8days RICH 9days
CARL 6 MELB 10
SYD 7 BRIS 7
GWS 7 GCS 7
GEE 8 ESS 7
PORT 7 FREM 6
ADEL 8 WCE 7
HAW 8 WBD 8
STK 11 NTH 13

I think it could benefit both trading partners

As an example, Carlton want a gun ish KPD due to injury, which could be the difference heading into the pointy end of finals and or window

Club not in finals same year or in the short- medium term get paid overs for said player
Not suggesting it wouldn't benefit both trading partners. I just think the buying club will get dragged over the coals.

I also don't think you'd see KPD players moving during that window. Not unless the selling club is trending downwards in a big way.

It'll be run of the mill midfielders/HBF'ers that go, I suspect.

I really don't like it. Building a list that could win a premiership before the season is one hell of an achievement.

Now you can essentially have teams buy a premiership. It'll be interesting to see what value the selling clubs place on prospective players.
I'd prefer it doesn't happen. I like the aspect of list building, and I feel this diminishes that significance.

I want to know what happens with the salary cap. I think if you bring someone in, you definitely have to have space for them, so 6 months of their contract at the value it was set before the season started, for the year they are traded in. I'll be upset if the player is traded midseason but the club receiving the player has no impact on their salary cap until the following season. The idea that a top club on a premiership hunt could trade in a player from a bottom club and have no change to their TPP for that season would be a serious issue.

ie say Collingwood/GWS/etc is doing ok but struggling for goals up forward, they pay a kings ransom to North and Trade in Larkey for the second half of the year, knowing they won't have to 'find' the $800k+ until the following season... I'd hate that.

Considering the minimum TPP of 95%, requiring the club to facilitate the traded-in player in the current season would help safeguard that from happening, it'd also make the more likely midseason trade scenarios involve depth key/role players, which I still don't like but have less of an issue with.

I'd prefer it doesn't happen. I like the aspect of list building, and I feel this diminishes that significance.

I want to know what happens with the salary cap. I think if you bring someone in, you definitely have to have space for them, so 6 months of their contract at the value it was set before the season started, for the year they are traded in. I'll be upset if the player is traded midseason but the club receiving the player has no impact on their salary cap until the following season. The idea that a top club on a premiership hunt could trade in a player from a bottom club and have no change to their TPP for that season would be a serious issue.

ie say Collingwood/GWS/etc is doing ok but struggling for goals up forward, they pay a kings ransom to North and Trade in Larkey for the second half of the year, knowing they won't have to 'find' the $800k+ until the following season... I'd hate that.

Considering the minimum TPP of 95%, requiring the club to facilitate the traded-in player in the current season would help safeguard that from happening, it'd also make the more likely midseason trade scenarios involve depth key/role players, which I still don't like but have less of an issue with.
I agree but these extreme examples simply won't happen.

No club is trading their key forward mid season, nor would Collingwood magically find $800k to fit him in the season after.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the footy season is coming around quicker because we went a month further into the season 2023?
(3 extra weeks plus the bye) It's been too long a time between finals, now they have had a taste, I hope it becomes the new normal.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the footy season is coming around quicker because we went a month further into the season 2023?
(3 extra weeks plus the bye) It's been too long a time between finals, now they have had a taste, I hope it becomes the new normal.
Oh yeah.
How good would that be!
Can't wait to get back up to the Gabba.
If we can win without Weiters we'll be in amazing shape.
We have to trust in our up n' comers, full pre-seasons for most, and the will to win finals.

Jarryd Roughead returning to the Hawks in a full time recruitment role.

Smart move quitting that Rabble of a Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A MID-SEASON trade period will not be introduced in 2024 but the AFL remains keen to bring in the revolutionary player movement mechanism in coming seasons.

The League has ruled out adding in the mid-season trade window for this season, with complexities around rules still to be worked through.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back