No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #13 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2035799
From the afl article on app summarising fan survey results.

I hate footy fans.
This shows two things.

Footy fans ostensibly prefer a non-playing commentator - Brayshaw and Hudson - to an ex player. I can almost guarantee to you that, were McGuire still commentating, he'd go close to the top of that list too as he's a damn good caller provided not calling Collingwood. It also shows that the majority of ex players have nothing of worth to say, and people can tell; it'll take some time, but broadcasters are gonna catch on here and boot their expensive ex-players for someone with a decent voice and opinions at some point.

The other thing (and this is the cloud to go alongside the silver lining above) is that the comms and coverage being the story - BT in the rooms after a game, the commentators being wacky and opinionated, the blokey radio and pregame coverage - as a media/marketing strategy has worked, to an extent. Trust is a product of familiarity plus time; people build parasocial relationships with the personalities they see/hear on the other side of a screen or hear on a radio. BT being as popular as he is is only due to his fronting the coverage on Ch.7; they opted a few years back to make him the personality around which their coverage was built, and it's paid dividends.

... all of which is to say that he's going no-where. Will probably have to wear out his welcome for a long, long time (aka Bruce and Dennis) before he's done.

I'm looking forward to someone trying to run an online radio call of each game that is more popular than the mainstream call, an out of house model. There were a few for cricket - Whiteline Wireless, Guerilla Cricket - but nothing's popped up AFL wise just yet. Or alternatively, a broadcaster that simply broadcasts the crowd noise at a ground with a decent quality mic; it'd be thoroughly preferable to the current bullshit.

Voted Jason Bennett & Jason Dunstall
Very thin list of options
Jason Bennett is a fantastic caller. Matt Hill is another - just a natural who calls races and Footy equally as well. Another one who I don't mind is Brett Phillips on SEN who is the tennis analyst, but also calls games.

Sandy Roberts was an absolute gem for those of us who remember his calls.

There's some good callers out there, but Barge-arse and Jimmy aint two of them.

Haven’t heard Phillips I’ll have to check out SEN sometime, i also like Matt Hill who i know from racing what i like is same reason as yourself is he is a good caller who just calls the game, like Bennett there’s none of all that unnecessary cringe crap that seems to be instilled into most callers these days…

Sandy Roberts I’ve mentioned on here before as being one of the very best callers of all time…

Part of the problem (and I'm not letting Taylor off the hook in any way, he's appalling) is the direction from 7.

Hodge is awful on 7, but he's great on SEN.
Ling is good on ABC.

Foxtel is so much better for a TV call, looking forward to next year when they have their own commentary for all games.
Absolutely....although I find Dwayne and Kelli totally unlistenable.

It's funny though that analysts like Hodge are so much better on radio than on TV. How Jobe gets a gig is beyond me.

Personally I reckon the best callers are on radio. My favourite by a long way is Tony Leonard on 3AW - absolutely hilarious and a great caller. Tim Lane is a veteran and another great caller. He was calling the game last night on AW with Richo and Tony Shaw doing the special comments, and it was brilliant entertainment.

Even Whately is a good caller, and I actually don't mind Andy Maher.

I accidentally flicked over to the ABC at one stage last night where they had Corbin Middlemass calling it, with Brett Deledio and Marc Murphy doing the special comments, and it was dreadful. Stay away at all costs.

Jason Bennett 2nd qtr at about the 7.30 mark, asked Selwood to elaborate on what it means to sync your forward line, Joel gave some 2 bit answer which was pretty bland not very insightful.
About a min later when there was a break in play, Campbell Brown gave his explanation which was insightful and gave great detail about what the forwards should be trying to achieve. I was impressed.

Pretty much anyone who has come through the ABC commentary system does a good job. They train their commentary teams properly. The ABC has a bunch of part-time callers who are way better than the TV callers. Corbin Middlemas, Matt Clinch, Andrew Mayes, Ben Cameron...
Apologies, it was Matt Clinch calling last night....and to be fair, the actual call wasn't bad - but the throw to Brett Deledio and Marc Murphy doing the special comments was dreadful. Love the Smurph, but neither of them have the personality for media.

I grew up listening to the ABC's cricket commentary....loved listening to the dulcet tones of McGilvray during those hot summer days, followed by Jim Maxwell coupled with the madness of Kerry O'Keeffe.

Apologies, it was Matt Clinch calling last night....and to be fair, the actual call wasn't bad - but the throw to Brett Deledio and Marc Murphy doing the special comments was dreadful. Love the Smurph, but neither of them have the personality for media.

I grew up listening to the ABC's cricket commentary....loved listening to the dulcet tones of McGilvray during those hot summer days, followed by Jim Maxwell coupled with the madness of Kerry O'Keeffe.
And footy too - Drew Morphett, Tim Lane, Whately (weirdly was way better when he was at the ABC). They've always had good commentators. I do think the ABC isn't what it used to be, but it's still better than the alternatives imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the ‘likes and dislikes’ section of today’s Herald Sun there is a photo of MacDonald, Ginnivan and Jiath celebrating a Hawthorn goal.

Caption next to photo states “Hawthorn’s Connor MacDonald celebrates a goal with Mabior Chol and Jack Ginnivan as they dismantled the West Coast in Perth on Sunday”.

Jason Bennett 2nd qtr at about the 7.30 mark, asked Selwood to elaborate on what it means to sync your forward line, Joel gave some 2 bit answer which was pretty bland not very insightful.
About a min later when there was a break in play, Campbell Brown gave his explanation which was insightful and gave great detail about what the forwards should be trying to achieve. I was impressed.
Thank you for explaining that one. I heard the first answer and thought it was pretty poor. Then I heard the second answer, and was pleased the commentator had gone back to provide a more in-depth explanation.

Because I am not familiar enough with the voices of Selwood and Brown, I hadn’t twigged it was separate commentators.

Thank you for explaining that one. I heard the first answer and thought it was pretty poor. Then I heard the second answer, and was pleased the commentator had gone back to provide a more in-depth explanation.

Because I am not familiar enough with the voices of Selwood and Brown, I hadn’t twigged it was separate commentators.
Was it Selwood who said everyone would have been surprised that Balta kicked the first goal of the game. Pretty sure Walsh kicked one about 3 minutes earlier. 16 year of ducking tackles has CTE is kicking in before he has turned 40

Was it Selwood who said everyone would have been surprised that Balta kicked the first goal of the game. Pretty sure Walsh kicked one about 3 minutes earlier. 16 year of ducking tackles has CTE is kicking in before he has turned 40
they said it a few times. I think just forgot to clarify for Richmond. But also, no noone would be surprised balta was kicking goals when everyone knew he was going to line up forward and is essentitally their best player now...

Max King out for the season. The Saints will now struggle to kick 6 goals a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back