No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a silly take.

He’s playing a different role at Collingwood, feeding it to others and he’s not getting the ball as much which is one of the major issues we had with him continually getting the ball in bad spots and just dumping it.
Mitchell absolutely destroyed Wines today. He is still an elite contested ball winner, one of the very best there has ever been at this and I am still bewildered as to the hate he gets on this forum.

All this talk of getting the ball to much? Maybe some of our players could do with a dose of that "problem". By that token Nash is one of the truely elite midfielders of all time with his whopping average of 12 possessions a game.

They are absolutely loving his work over on the Collingwood board at the moment though. He keeps playing this way and he could legit be the missing piece that wins them a flag.

Who isn't getting a game in the worst midfield in the comp.

It was a bad trade. But far from our only one in recent years. Mitchell looks like providing very good value to Collingwood.
Conveniently overlooking the fact he was selected in the senior midfield for the Geelong PM and was concussed 10 minutes in.

Had to miss two weeks and with minimal match practice was never going to play Rd 1.

But yeah, he’s no good….🙄

We got Cooper Stephens
Look I have no idea whether Cooper Stephens is going to make it as a player or not. None of us do if we are being honest.

But the moment we traded Mitchell to the Pies I knew, like 100% knew, he was going to be an absolute weapon for them for probably say another 3 to 5 years (baring injury but Tom is remarkably resilient).

So Collingwood got one of the very best contested ball winners of all time (like an all time great at the aspect of the game) and we got basically an unknown quantity.

Spin it how you will, that's a high risk trade from our end.

Tom Mitchell with another more than handy game of 27 possies, a goal, 5 tackles and 8 clearances.

And some posters on this forum were saying they were glad to get rid of him and he is Collingwood's "problem" this year.

Yeh, struggling to see the problem for Collingwood here TBH. Is playing well and winning considered a problem these days 🤔

He keeps this up he could win another Brownlow, very problematic (for the Hawks not the Pies I mean).

Yes, we had some unbelievable revisionism in here.

The move benefits him now as he gets to play for a good team and not waste the next few years toiling away in a rebuild. The move will hopefully benefit us in the long-term, with fast-tracking the development of Ward, Mackenzie and co. It would have been nice to get true value in a trade of a player of his calibre, but at the end of the day if the youngsters develop quickly then it's a win/win.

Hope Mitchell wins another chaz BTW.

This is a silly take.

He’s playing a different role at Collingwood, feeding it to others and he’s not getting the ball as much which is one of the major issues we had with him continually getting the ball in bad spots and just dumping it.
Why couldn’t we get him to do this with us? The role he’s playing at pies seems to maximise his strengths but minimising the things that drove hawks fan mad (the useless low impact possessions). Pies have done well here.

Conveniently overlooking the fact he was selected in the senior midfield for the Geelong PM and was concussed 10 minutes in.

Had to miss two weeks and with minimal match practice was never going to play Rd 1.

But yeah, he’s no good….🙄
He was concussed in the intraclub and didn’t play the practice match, but it put him behind others.

Why couldn’t we get him to do this with us? The role he’s playing at pies seems to maximise his strengths but minimising the things that drove hawks fan mad (the useless low impact possessions). Pies have done well here.

We definitely could, but we didn't have good enough players on the outside. Compare Morrison, Howe and Shiels to the Daicos brothers, Crisp, Sidebottom, etc.

Maybe this year with Day, Newcombe, Amon, Ward and Mackenzie around him we could have given that a crack, but it wasn't to be.

Hopefully Stephens develops into a gun to balance the trade, but again it's really about the development of the younger guys.

Yes, we had some unbelievable revisionism in here.

The move benefits him now as he gets to play for a good team and not waste the next few years toiling away in a rebuild. The move will hopefully benefit us in the long-term, with fast-tracking the development of Ward, Mackenzie and co. It would have been nice to get true value in a trade of a player of his calibre, but at the end of the day if the youngsters develop quickly then it's a win/win.

Hope Mitchell wins another chaz BTW.
Look I was not against the trade in principle, it was clear that Tom's time at the Hawks was probably over.

But I always took exception to the attitude from some posters on this forum that he was just some ball hog, hack of a player and we should be glad to get a bag of chips for him (totally discounting the Brownlow, 3x PCMs, AFL coaches MVP, AA selections, etc, etc)

He's obviously (obviously) still a gun player and was for us for such a long period of time. It's the lack of respect afforded to Tom as a player who put in week in week out during a tough period at the club that gets me.

Still it's worked out for Tom I guess, he appears to be loving his time at the Pies.

Look I have no idea whether Cooper Stephens is going to make it as a player or not. None of us do if we are being honest.

But the moment we traded Mitchell to the Pies I knew, like 100% knew, he was going to be an absolute weapon for them for probably say another 3 to 5 years (baring injury but Tom is remarkably resilient).

So Collingwood got one of the very best contested ball winners of all time (like an all time great at the aspect of the game) and we got basically an unknown quantity.

Spin it how you will, that's a high risk trade from our end.
It wasn’t a high risk trade at all, for the reason that getting him off the books doesn’t impact any finals push and opens up a spot for MacKenzie, Ward and the like the call their own with Worpel/Newcombe becoming the number 1 and number 2 mids.

Look I was not against the trade in principle, it was clear that Tom's time at the Hawks was probably over.

But I always took exception to the attitude from some posters on this forum that he was just some ball hog, hack of a player and we should be glad to get a bag of chips for him (totally discounting the Brownlow, 3x PCMs, AFL coaches MVP, AA selections, etc, etc)

He's obviously (obviously) still a gun player and was for us for such a long period of time. It's the lack of respect afforded to Tom as a player who put in week in week out during a tough period at the club that gets me.

Still it's worked out for Tom I guess, he appears to be loving his time at the Pies.

I agree, we were subject to some garbage takes regarding Mitchell. He didn't deserve it.

He must be pinching himself. He gets to play in a quality side challenging for finals over (likely) the next few years; in front of huge crowds and he does this as a key player. That is a few years away for us ATM, at which point he would be into his 30's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks sickening to be very honest. Every time we play against Tigers, I don't care if we're losing the game as long as none of our players got hurt or injured.

Be happy for a couple to take a stand next game. If it means a couple of weeks off for some rough justice on Broad and the like, so be it.

I agree, we were subject to some garbage takes regarding Mitchell. He didn't deserve it.

It all comes down to whether you believe Mitchell's style of play excluded the likes of Worpel, and made our midfield less effective as a result.

Or, whether the midfield players and coaches failed to adapt to Mitchell's strengths and build our core around his style.

Whatever your take, there was simply no way we could continue with him in the midfield knowing he couldn't contribute to the next flag tilt.

Tom Mitchell with another more than handy game of 27 possies, a goal, 5 tackles and 8 clearances.

And some posters on this forum were saying they were glad to get rid of him and he is Collingwood's "problem" this year.

Yeh, struggling to see the problem for Collingwood here TBH. Is playing well and winning considered a problem these days 🤔

He keeps this up he could win another Brownlow, very problematic (for the Hawks not the Pies I mean).
How is it problematic ?
He isnt right for us now and we arent for him . Its a good call for both

Keep him and a young mid doesn't play .
Our midfield was constantly criticised for being one paced , too small and not versatile .

So we have changed it like many wanted , now its sellers remorse on a gun but smaller framed and one paced mid.

Who isn't getting a game in the worst midfield in the comp.

It was a bad trade. But far from our only one in recent years. Mitchell looks like providing very good value to Collingwood.
He was our best and most senior midfielder in the worst midfield in the competition last year, he's no loss to us in any sense. He's the same high poession high clearance and poor kick he's always been. He's the same type of player like Crouch who can;t get a game for Adelaide, just maybe there's a connection there.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back