No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk of the "Magic Round" has fired up again with suggestions it should be played in NSW:

I'm 50/50 on the idea but from a selfish point of view if it were to happen I want to be up here in QLD.

QLD Hawk supporters have been getting shafted for years with the fixture and played barely any games up in the past 10 years or so while all the other states have been enjoying local fixtures fairly regulary. To top it off, we had the covid hub up here in previous years and as if to almost rub salt in the wound, Hawthorn end up hubbing pretty much everywhere but QLD!

Honestly if we end up getting shafted in the fixture once again and not even the "Magic Round" is played up here I'll be absolutely livid.

Magic round anywhere other than MCG makes no ****ing sense. If you are having a double header/triple header like what happens in the NRL and Super League then why the hell would it not be held at a stadium with 100,000 people.

Magic round anywhere other than MCG makes no ******* sense. If you are having a double header/triple header like what happens in the NRL and Super League then why the hell would it not be held at a stadium with 100,000 people.

Because it's not helping grow the game and the stadium will look shithouse as it will be half empty for most of the day

Because it's not helping grow the game and the stadium will look shithouse as it will be half empty for most of the day
Not necessarily. If you market it similar to Rugby 7's, sitting and watching footy all day, having a bit of fun, could be a good day out with mates or with the family. 3 games back to back might be a bit much though.

And a one third full SCG when the Swans aren't playing will look any better? Sydney sports supporters are the most fickle, fair-weather supporters on the planet. State of Origin is the pinnacle of the NRL and they struggle most years to sell out the game in Sydney. But now we should host 7 neutral games there for a city that barely cares about the two sides they already have?

Magic round is a monumentally daft idea as it stands. To take it away from a non-football state, particularly one with two stadiums that hold 100,000 and 53,000 people is just nonsensical.

Is this magic round nonsense mean 23 matches ? Or do certain teams lose a home match and just have to host it in a gimmick round.

In the NRL you basically lose a home game depending on who the home team is. There is no extra round for it. Dare say the NRL compensates sides who lose out on the home game revenue.

You'd pack out the ground if it was the Pies and/or Geelol also playing there.

Finals maybe, H&A game I can't see it being a sell out for neutral games. Particularly with the presently extortionate costs of interstate travel.

Finals maybe, H&A game I can't see it being a sell out for neutral games. Particularly with the presently extortionate costs of interstate travel.

Swans v Pies/Cats always draws a large crowd (irrespective of finals) with plenty of ex-pat and Vic supporters going. Plus they're the type of fans that would hang around and watch the other games too

Swans v Pies/Cats always draws a large crowd (irrespective of finals) with plenty of ex-pat and Vic supporters going. Plus they're the type of fans that would hang around and watch the other games too

So let's say both Collingwood and Geelong play other sides in a double header at the SCG. Let's say both can get around 20% of the SCG crowd against the Swans. This is still only ~19,000 fans at a 48,000 capacity stadium. Compare that to a sold out MCG - I know which is going to look better on television. Call me a cynic - I just don't think you are going to come remotely close to selling out a double header neutral game at the SCG and I don't see the point in the concept if that's not happening. I am also going to be fairly miffed if we lose 4 games to Launceston in 2023 and then on top of that lose a home game to magic round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So let's say both Collingwood and Geelong play other sides in a double header at the SCG. Let's say both can get around 20% of the SCG crowd against the Swans. This is still only ~19,000 fans at a 48,000 capacity stadium. Compare that to a sold out MCG - I know which is going to look better on television. Call me a cynic - I just don't think you are going to come remotely close to selling out a double header neutral game at the SCG and I don't see the point in the concept if that's not happening. I am also going to be fairly miffed if we lose 4 games to Launceston in 2023 and then on top of that lose a home game to magic round.
You only have to look at the crowd attendances for the NRL during the year to see it’s a bad idea to have a magic round in Sydney.

You only have to look at the crowd attendances for the NRL during the year to see it’s a bad idea to have a magic round in Sydney.

Yup - there's a reason the NRL take it to Brisbane. I can't think of another city that has so much apathy towards events but that many sporting teams based there.

You only have to look at the NRL to realise it’s a bad idea to do anything the NRL does. :(

You only have to look at the NRL to realise it’s a bad idea to do anything the NRL does. :(

The sheer volume of things they've ripped off the AFL I guess it was due to go the other way. Granted it's not even an original idea of the NRL and came from the English competition.

Will this round affect the ladder at all?

Yup - the premise in the NRL is it's a regular round of football just played at the one stadium - in their case Lang Park in Brissy. Last couple of had a double header on the Friday night and then a triple header Saturday and Sunday. Unsure how viable a triple header would be in the AFL - a game of NRL is over within 2 hours - not so much the case with AFL.

Yup - there's a reason the NRL take it to Brisbane. I can't think of another city that has so much apathy towards events but that many sporting teams based there.
Probably because Sydney siders are spoilt for choice for how to spend their sunny winter weekends :cool:

Probably because Sydney siders are spoilt for choice for how to spend their sunny winter weekends :cool:

Really? Every client I’ve spoken to in Sydney this year has complaied incessantly about the rain.

Sydney sports supporters are the most fickle, fair-weather supporters on the planet.

Just wanted to highlight that on the planet bit. And the swine supporters are the creme de la phlegm of that bandwagoneering crowd.

Promoting the game by potentially taking the game to a ground that really isn't fit for AFL football? How can Australia's largest city not have a better facility for AFL? It's a joke of a ground, and Sydney should be forced to spend some money on it instead of getting away with playing in that grubby hole.
It's an embarrassment to the AFL and the Sydney teams that they will forever be minnows with their inferior grounds. Melbourne of course has better, but so does Perth, Adelaide and Brissy. How does Sydney get away with it? They are fickle and simply do not care.

Why waste a magic round on the place? I could really only see the AFL going down that path to thumb their nose at, and score some point against the NRL. Why bother.

If they ever wanted to promote the game, they could start by showing the best games of the week on FTA tv. Currently, FTA is clogged with both Sydney teams and two other scraps. If your interested in the game, and want to see what it's all about, good luck. Pays yer subscription. What hope has the AFL of attracting people to the game if they can't watch the best it has to offer, and instead forcefeeds shit sandwiches? Everyone knows you attract bees with honey, not buckets of shit.

I honestly worry for the game in Sydney. What they're gonna do post-Buddy to keep those gold fish sized brains interested in the game? I was surprised a "franchise" player for the next gen didn't appear over the trade period, but I expect next year some gun will get set up for life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back